Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Decreasing FPS

7 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

In "Cities: Skylines" i can bring down my 1080ti to 2 fps easily.

ok

13 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

Sure you can, you just need to have configured AI Companion to limit AI elsewhere.

The main frame drop would still occur due to the look ahead buffer invoked by set frame rate in P3D in that particular area and with airliners that I fly, not the 'decent' amount of my AI.

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

What did you fly Vic and what airports did you fly into? That is the question.

I flew the Flysimware Falcon from KBUR to KSJC so I was in Orbx SoCal and NoCal. AS4 weather. UL Traffic Trackir FFTF running Navmap on second monitor.

Vic

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

I'd be pretty annoyed if I spent $1,249 on a video card and got 24 FPS. But whatever.

I have run it steady at 30fps - no better than at 20. It's either smooth or not smooth - there is no inbetween. *MY* system has been tuned to run smooth at 20. Anything over that is bragging rights, it adds absolutely NOTHING to the sim experience. My logic has always been to tune for the lowest fps where I can maintain a smooth experience thus leaving more cpu/gpu power for rendering visuals. I know many people who happily run 20fps smooth all day long. I also know those who get a slide show at 20fps. I've always followed NickN's guideline to balance your system hardware and software settings and it works just fine for me.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

8 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I flew the Flysimware Falcon from KBUR to KSJC so I was in Orbx SoCal and NoCal. AS4 weather. UL Traffic Trackir FFTF running Navmap on second monitor.

Vic

Not bad, worth trying myself, maybe.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

I'd be pretty annoyed if I spent $1,249 on a video card and got 24 FPS. But whatever.

Me too!  Wow.  I'm not settling for 24 FPS!

Stan

I swore I wouldn't do it, but I did.  I set the NCP external limiter to 30....and set P3d's limiter to 60.  I turned off Vsync and relied on my 4K monitor to give me the resolution, because I turned down texture resolution from it's highest setting down to a more reasonable level....not too far down.  I used Active Sky and FFTF.  It stayed at 30fps or near to 30fps for just about all of my flying time.

I flew in heavy rainy weather from Philly to Buffalo in a Cessna Citation....changed planes to an Allegiant 737 and flew back to Allentown, Pa (KABE) and I swear.....not a pause or stutter the entire way.  Maybe it was luck, maybe not.  I will continue to fly this way until I'm convinced it's working.  Just thought I'd report this, but we'll keep trying.

Stan

13 minutes ago, spilok said:

Me too!  Wow.  I'm not settling for 24 FPS!

Stan

LOL! Stan - I hear you but really - FPS hasn't really been that big of a deal since P3D v3. If you throw away the fps counter and tune your system to where you get a smooth experience  you'd be surprised at how low you can go. The # of FPS is no longer a measure of a good performing system. 60fps and choppy flight sure is not a winner. Even 30 with stutters. SO if you could get 24 perfectly smooth you'd toss it and settle for 30 with bumps?

P3D changed the game and the sooner we judge performance by smoothness and quality rather than fps the happier we will be.

SOAPBOX OFF -   🙂

Vic

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

LOL! Stan - I hear you but really - FPS hasn't really been that big of a deal since P3D v3. If you throw away the fps counter and tune your system to where you get a smooth experience  you'd be surprised at how low you can go. The # of FPS is no longer a measure of a good performing system. 60fps and choppy flight sure is not a winner. Even 30 with stutters. SO if you could get 24 perfectly smooth you'd toss it and settle for 30 with bumps?

P3D changed the game and the sooner we judge performance by smoothness and quality rather than fps the happier we will be.

SOAPBOX OFF -   🙂

Vic

I hear ya!  However, I did notice a correlation between dropping FPS and stuttering and pauses.  Usually when I see consistent FPS, there is no stuttering or pauses that make me end my flight in frustration.   But what you say about smoothness is true.  FPS that is consistent and steady provide a satisfying flight regardless of the frames per second.

Stan

• Like 1

So with 64 bit we finally is able to do turn-arounds as well ,  but with this FPS decrease issue by design i still restart P3D at destination.

GSX/FS2crew is designed for it i believe

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

3 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

So with 64 bit we finally is able to do turn-arounds as well ,  but with this FPS decrease issue by design i still restart P3D at destination.

GSX/FS2crew is designed for it i believe

Michael Moe

Please rephrase if possible.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

Please rephrase if possible.

Thanks.

With FSX one of primary concerns was OOM because of 32bit ,  and i did look forward to have my FSLA320 do turn-arounds with 64bit in v4/v5 but performance is degrading during time so i still need to reboot my PC after a flight for a fresh start.

Michael Moe

• Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

2 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

With FSX one of primary concerns was OOM because of 32bit ,  and i did look forward to have my FSLA320 do turn-arounds with 64bit in v4/v5 but performance is degrading during time so i still need to reboot my PC after a flight for a fresh start.

Michael Moe

With some addon aircraft the simulator should be closed and restarted for a new flight otherwise the last flight has an influence. However, there should be no need to reboot the PC. If a reboot is required I would say there's some process still running after closing the simulation, which would indicate a fault in the setup.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

With some addon aircraft the simulator should be closed and restarted for a new flight otherwise the last flight has an influence. However, there should be no need to reboot the PC. If a reboot is required I would say there's some process still running after closing the simulation, which would indicate a fault in the setup.

Reboot is just to be safe Steve 😉

Michael Moe

• Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

1 hour ago, Michael Moe said:

Michael Moe

All is clear, thanks!