Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

June 25th, 2020 - Development Update

2 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. 😄 

I was using some version of SkyGlobe to display the stars and planets several decades ago on a 286 computer.  The calculations to produce an accurate sky have been know for a very long time.  There is no reason why we shouldn't get accurate eclipses.

I remember reading a development diary from a programmer long ago, and he was talking about calculating dates, leap years etc.

I remember him writing that the orbital mechanics of planetary positions by date, including eclipses, etc, had been calculated a zillion different times by millions of different people for various reasons, and at this point it was all in freely accessible libraries for just about anyone to use, though it could sometimes be dicey to make useful sense of it all.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

To correctly model an eclipse requires not only having correct sun and moon position (and I'm confident MSFS will have that), but also of course modeling the moon shadow above Earth surface, that probably requires a bit more work. Infact (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but I don't think there's or has been a single flight sim that does that, except (maybe?) Orbiter, which is technically a space sim.

In any case, right or wrong, eclipse modeling is understandably a low priority item.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

8 hours ago, Murmur said:

To correctly model an eclipse requires not only having correct sun and moon position (and I'm confident MSFS will have that), but also of course modeling the moon shadow above Earth surface, that probably requires a bit more work. Infact (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but I don't think there's or has been a single flight sim that does that, except (maybe?) Orbiter, which is technically a space sim.

In any case, right or wrong, eclipse modeling is understandably a low priority item.

I think, there isn't any problem. Those are things, which are precalculed for many and many years forward and those informations are easily avaiable from many sources. So MSFS doesn't need calculate nothing, only follow existing tables. We don't have to finding problems, which aren't exist 🙂 in fact, it is easy to model it in sim.

Edited by ludekbrno

7 hours ago, Murmur said:

This is typically something which has no bearing on a simmer experience. 

• Upvote 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

it could sometimes be dicey to make useful sense of it all.

Any European kid who has read the eternal classic comics "Tintin : Prisoners of the Sun" (Le Temple du Soleil) will know how useful it is to know when eclipses take place. 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

8 hours ago, ludekbrno said:

I think, there isn't any problem. Those are things, which are precalculed for many and many years forward and those informations are easily avaiable from many sources. So MSFS doesn't need calculate nothing, only follow existing tables. We don't have to finding problems, which aren't exist 🙂 in fact, it is easy to model it in sim.

As I wrote in my post, calculating sun and moon position is easy. But modeling moon shadow, sky and ambient darkening, etc. requires more work, and is not a given in a flight sim (indeed, no sim has ever done that to date).

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

On 6/30/2020 at 8:43 AM, MatthewS said:

I guess one of us failed comprehension at grade school. 🤔

It certainly does appear that way!  😁

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

As I wrote in my post, calculating sun and moon position is easy. But modeling moon shadow, sky and ambient darkening, etc. requires more work, and is not a given in a flight sim (indeed, no sim has ever done that to date).

Yes, I agree, but I think, that Moon shadow projected on Earth can be precalculed too, so MSFS doesn't need calculate it during simulation. Only reading precalculed table is enough.

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

But modeling moon shadow, sky and ambient darkening, etc. requires more work, and is not a given in a flight sim (indeed, no sim has ever done that to date).

https://pioneerspacesim.net/#slide0

There I even experienced a solar eclipse caused by another darker sun (red dwarf)!

• Upvote 1

I am not going back or spending money on any existing simulator or add-ons for it. This thing is going to the bees knees - hands down. Even though that my testing has been rough so far and I am VERY annoyed with not getting any response to my tickets. To clarify, I am not disappointed with things not working for me, just the overall testing and reporting experience.  

Edited by Drumcode
  • Like 2

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

On 6/30/2020 at 9:34 AM, RudyB24 said:

For better immersion I like to see the trees move in the wind.

In the right direction.

Piece of cake with Meteoblue forecasts.

TBH I think we've already seen this a very long time ago.