Sign in to follow this  
jay281

Loosing the love for P3D

4 minutes ago, jay281 said:

I knew that choice of word would bite me in the donkey. 😂

Bert, let’s be quite honest, 30fps in 2020 is a joke, either in a game or simulator. 

If I wanted 30fps, I’d buy a console. 

I get your point... but for some of us, the challenge is flying the plane, including procedures, navigation etc..

As long as it is smooth (which it is for me in V5) I could not care less what the fps counter might show.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Bert

I've had that trip through frustration ally with V5 as well which bought me to some introspection. I could probably pay for a PPL with the money I've spent on addons the past years but many are just not going to be compatible in the new sim and I'm no longer going to waste time trying to shoe horn them in.

I like eye candy as much as anyone but I am primarily an airplane centric simmer so do I have to have a payware airport every new place I fly to? 

Maybe Ive been expecting too much realism from a table top sim run on a home  PC. Maybe I should get out more and keep things, especially a hobby in its place. Try to give the other aspects of life more consideration. 

Now I'm slowly migrating over to version five without stressing.

Vic green

20 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I get your point... but for some of us, the challenge is flying the plane, including procedures, navigation etc..

As long as it is smooth (which it is for me in V5) I could not care less what the fps counter might show.

Oh, Bert!  You're just not a gamer.  You must pine over every lost fps and tree that's an inch shorter than it should be.  C'mon....what's the fun in a smooth flight from point A to point B.  I've actually seen some posts (not on this site!) where they said they would kill themselves if they didn't get 500fps.

All tongue-in-cheek!  🤪

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

42 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

To the OP....Just stop reading about gamers getting 120-400 FPS and turn off your Frames counter and enjoy a smooth flight. It is really that easy. 

It’s really not. Getting P3D smooth takes time, knowledge and patience. 

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

I totally agree! I'm done with the constant tweaking, CTD’s, bugs, and buying hardware that never meets the requirements since I start simming in the FSX days. My hobby is flying, and for the first time I finally got my P3D 4.5 HF3 settings, my PC hardware setup and all my add-ons at a stage where I’m happy with. So I start up my PC and enjoy flying!

For now I don’t feel the need switching to P3Dv5 (although I bought it), X plane, or MSF2020 in the near future, and starting allover with the same problems.

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

2 minutes ago, jay281 said:

I don't have an answer for you. Maybe you should sell your computer and take up oh I don't know do something like Golf. That game requires no money and the outdoors has unlimited frame rates. It also requires no effort or knowledge. It is not the least bit hard to learn and it includes all you need. Lighting is always completely accurate and is included as well as it comes with a perfect weather engine. All you need is a couple of golfing sticks and a ball and the only code you need to learn is the word "FOUR!" Hope that helps.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

46 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Oh, Bert!  You're just not a gamer.  You must pine over every lost fps and tree that's an inch shorter than it should be.  C'mon....what's the fun in a smooth flight from point A to point B.  I've actually seen some posts (not on this site!) where they said they would kill themselves if they didn't get 500fps.

All tongue-in-cheek!  🤪

Haha, true, big FPS numbers are essential in a competitive shooter title.

Big FPS in flightsim- not so much. However, 30FPS is a knife edge number. IF you can maintain it with high fidelity addons -great, but I bet most can’t.

Load up the FSL, Orbx Socal and KLAX with visually pleasing settings, then bask in the PowerPoint glory as it brings a 2K + desktop to it knees. 

Smooth is a subjective term.

Consistent frame times are objective, and form the basis of “smooth” And consistent frame times are difficult to achieve in P3D. 

Imho higher FPS helps the overall perception of smoothness even if you have poor frame times, I suppose thats my point about 30fps, It’s just too low to hide the inconsistencies.

Edited by jay281
  • Upvote 2

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

4 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Maybe you should sell your computer and take up oh I don't know do something like Golf.

Bait.

• Upvote 2

I’ve come to accept that 30fps in a complex, open world flight sim is a reasonable expectation and a  perfectly enjoyable experience on balance.  I can achieve this in P3Dv5.

Hoping for a consistent frame rate higher than that is a fools errand for most if using  complex addons and you’re more likely to drive yourself crazy trying to achieve it.

For the record i also play golf and it’s a toss up which is more likely to be exhilarating and frustrating in the same session.   Neither are cheap.

This is all based on my experiences, YMMV.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, jay281 said:

Not really.  I had to change two things re: vsync in World settings screen, and I was done.  Perfectly smooth fluid flight.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I've stayed with 4.5.  Love it.  No tweaking, no ctd, no problems.  All of the whole setup is totally dedicated to flying-not tweaking or fixing. Flying 2-3 hours every day during the pandemic. Keeping me sane.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

7 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

then you will know how to get a solid 60 FPS in P3D or any sim of choice.

I do, but it involves to much of a compromise. Why should I have to set the sliders far left and fly over a bland environment or operate low fidelity AC?

As for XP right now under the current beta, I can almost have my cake and eat it (within reason).

Im really not trying to bash the platform, it’s served me well for a long time, and it’s been a huge help to me. But there will always be large deltas in compromise when using it, and I think that is what is eroding my enjoyment.

7 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I've made several videos at 60 FPS in P3D V5

That’s more a credit to your rig. 

Edited by jay281
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mace said:

Not really.  I had to change two things re: vsync in World settings screen, and I was done.  Perfectly smooth fluid flight.

Sure, after years of fiddling with P3D, this just isn’t true. 

Amazing, only an Avsim can i read the good old "i get 30 fps but it's smooth" statement. I'll add it to the list.

Meanwhile i urge you to try something at 60 fps. Assuming fps are stable on both 30 and 60 of course.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

If you are tired of flight simulators, just take a break. Believe me: It works! 😊

Eventually, you will start missing flying, and your body will produce hormones dictating your flightsim desire at an increasing rate, like it is happening to me. (I have not had access to my flightsim PC for months due to the fact that it's located in another country, and I can't get there due to the lockdown). I would love to fly these days. But I also know that whenever I have flown multiple times for several days, I get tired of it and want to put the sim aside for a while.

As far as performance/FPS: A treacherous aspect is that the trend to higher resolutions and larger screens requires higher FPS to keep up the sensation of a smooth flight. I remember 20 years ago when I used 15" or 17" screens with a resolution of 1024x768 on FS2000, as little as 20 FPS were enough to give me the perception of smoothness, since the transition from one frame to the next leaves a short distance on the screen. (And if you remember, the performance of FS2000 was probably the worst of its time back then, so 20 FPS were considered good!). Now with 4K resolutions and 40+ inch screens, you need many more FPS to maintain smoothness - but with higher resolutions, it becomes increasingly difficult to achieve high FPS. It almost becomes a Sisyphean task. Not that I propose returning to antiquated resolutions and screen sizes, but just wanted to point out an observation.

I personally use different graphics profiles for different types of flights. If I want to fly VFR, I have no problem sacrificing some FPS in exchange for denser settings (and since GA airplanes are friendlier on resources, it offsets the loss in FPS a little.). For IFR flights, do you need to have the PC compute every little chimney on the ground, which you won't see anyway?  And this is where in my opinion True Earth products are an overkill for IFR flights, as immersive as they are. The OpenLC approach gives a believable recognition and very good FPS. Maybe you should try it?

Edited by Afterburner
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1