Sign in to follow this  
pilatuz

To vector (ORBX) or not (V5 HF2)

Seems how using ORBX vector almost every non ORBX airport is on an annoying plateu; does anyone know if there's a fix for this on the way?

Is it just better to disable ORBX vector or do the benefits outweigh the costs?

They removed the AEC files for v5 so you should not have airports on plateaus caused by ORBX.

Sean Green

15 minutes ago, sgreen91 said:

They removed the AEC files for v5 so you should not have airports on plateaus caused by ORBX.

I think ORBX mentioned LM has caused this to happen on their own airports because of the sloped runway thing? 

Vector never did create plateaux around airports but it could introduce elevation anomalies within the airport, typically runways and taxiways at different elevations to the airport. The cliffs now seen around some default airports are also nothing to do with Vector but as mentioned, a side effect of the changes that accommodate AI aircraft at sloped runways. As ever, it seems that one "fix" breaks something else.

Vector seems like one of those products where it seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. The list of add-ons is just getting ridiculously out of hand. I told myself that with P3D v5 that I would try to cut back on the amount of add-ons I have to install and keep it simple, but it seems worse now. I think I'm going to skip on Vector. Doesn't seem to offer much for the amount of potential problems I have been hearing about.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Without a doubt, default P3D v5 will work better than P3D v5 with anything added.

I have vector on v5. It fits in better with the orbx world than default vector, roads are not white, for example. Also you get much more ai road traffic with vector roads than default. 

I did not notice any airport issues yet...,

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

8 hours ago, pilatuz said:

Seems how using ORBX vector almost every non ORBX airport is on an annoying plateu; does anyone know if there's a fix for this on the way?

Is it just better to disable ORBX vector or do the benefits outweigh the costs?

Are you using any elevation mesh add-ons.  I find the the default elevation mesh data works better with the default airports and smooths the edges of the airport better with the default airports and surrounding terrain. I am using FreemeshX for the elevation data and do have the airport plateau elevation issues as well were the airport in real life would normally have a sloped runway due to terrain. As mentioned, I find the default elevation data does a better job of smoothing the airport plateau edges, but will stick with FreemeshX.

Far as using ORBX Vector or not? Set up a flight at CYIO Pond Inlet and change the view to outside and top- down and you will see the issues with the default vector data. CYIO is on the coast in the Canadian Arctic, but there is no coast. This is a common issue throughout the Canada Arctic. Before ORBX Vector came out for P3DV5 I was importing my ORBX vector data over from FSX.  Also near my home airport CER3, a major river is missing water with the default vector data. The outlines are there but the water is missing.  One thing the default vector data has is a very good road network. For example, just north of my home airport is a road that turns from pavement to gravel after about a mile and that is shown in the default vector data. The main issue I found with the ORBX Vector data is they use large files to do the excludes for the whole world and these files take a long time to load.

I am use the ORBX Vector data with the roads turned off and disabling (renaming) the ORBX exclude files that disables the default roads.

Overall the default vector data has a lot of issues and needs to be fixed.

John Cottreau

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

41 minutes ago, johncott said:

I am use the ORBX Vector data with the roads turned off and disabling (renaming) the ORBX exclude files that disables the default road

Could you elaborate on this? Do you find this is better performing than using the vector roads? I would like to try this route, thanks!

I like what vector adds to V5. It makes the coastlines and water bodies look a lot better. I only use minimum roads, just main highways and railroads, no underlays, no parks, no golf courses, just the water stuff. Keeping vector minimalist helps performance. It has not affected any of my addon or default airports.

Lee

Edited by Midnight Music
  • Upvote 1

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

51 minutes ago, pilatuz said:

Could you elaborate on this? Do you find this is better performing than using the vector roads? I would like to try this route, thanks!

First of all, most of my flying is in western Canada and a lot of that flying is in remote areas. ORBX does not have good road vector data for this area, just the major and secondary highways. I'm not sure about how well the ORBX Vector road data is for the rest of the world  The new vector road data for P3DV5 has a good road system for where I fly and is good for VFR low altitude flying.  Far as performance, I have not notice much difference.

To set this up:

1. Go to ORBX Central, My Products, Global, Vector, Select configuration and turn off all roads and railroads as well if you want the use the default railroad vector data.

2. got to the ORBX folder in you P3DV5 Directory and select the "FTX_VECTOR_P3Dv5" folder, then select the "FTX_VECTOR_EXX" folder and then the "scenery" folder.  This folder has the ORBX excludes for the various items.  Rename the "cvx_GlobalVector_excludes_roads.BGL" file to something else.  I usually just change the BGL extension to BAK.  Do the same for the railways file as well if you disabled them in the ORBX Vector configuration.

3.  Startup P3DV5 and see how it looks.

another option would be to move the ORBX road exclusion file to its own folder and create a new scenery area for it and you could turn it on off with the scenery library manager. 

please note if you do a ORBX file verification for ORBX Vector, the files that you change the names will be replaced and will have to be renamed again.

Regards,

John Cottreau

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

I've only explored N America area in V5 but I have noticed that all the default airports (that I have seen) using the default scenery are on a plateau.  I'm guessing this is something that will be addressed in a future patch.  

Adding ORBX PNW (which has its own digital elevation mesh and airport elevation data) got rid of the apt. plateaus in this area so it seems to be related to the elevation data.  

I do have to say thought that I am very impressed with the update to the default vector data in V5 (again only speaking for N America).  LM finally took advantage of the huge trove of digital map data out there that has accumulated since c 2006  - much of it open source.  It's about time!

A huge improvement including much more detailed coastlines for oceans, lakes and rivers, and highways and roads.  I think they also updated the land use maps and they also procedurally added extrusion bridges for highway overpasses, lakes and rivers, as well as a lot of obstructions including antennas, cell towers, power lines, cranes, etc.  And I have noticed ferry docks, water towers, power stations etc. have been procedurally added as well.  It is a big step up from the default scenery in V4. 

On top of that (aside from the plateau problem) the default airports have all been updated to have current taxiways runways, generic buildings, etc.  They all look considerably better than before and should align with current airport charts.  

The only thing they didn't update are the old land class tiles, so ORBX global base is a must have in my opinion.  

I did notice that over the Caribbean, the coastline resolution for the islands is better than V4 (which was legacy from 2006) but it still looks blocky.  So, I'll have to keep working on updating that area!  

I was watching a video on YouTube and noticed on approach Whereby a bridge suppose to go over a river . But in fact was going to down into it and then back up again.

mike