Sign in to follow this  
benwbriscoe

AIG Manager: Way too over complicated

Thank you, Ray, this was the missing link. From a quick glance and what you state, AlG must be installed on the P3D machine anyway, it's the companion Status Board which can be run networked.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Perhaps some kind person could explain exactly what AIG does that you can't get from other AI addons like UTL which I have used for many years.  My AI needs are very simple really - mainly to have airports with a small amount of activity so they don't look completely deserted.

Thank you.

Bruceb

• Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Advantages - to me, better looking models, Almost all have researched flight routes, AIG includes their own custom sound module and their is just something magic about getting something like this for free. There is a donation path. I am still using UTL for GA traffic only. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

short info:

AIG AI Manager (AIM) is developed by AIGTech.

AI Companion (AIC) is developed by a user named "koala" and uploaded/supported in the AIG Forum.

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

3 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Perhaps some kind person could explain exactly what AIG does that you can't get from other AI addons like UTL which I have used for many years.  My AI needs are very simple really - mainly to have airports with a small amount of activity so they don't look completely deserted.

Thank you.

Bruceb

Given your stated needs, Bruce, you may well be probably be happy with UTL.

Still, i’d advise giving AIG a go - it’ll take a while to install, but the traffic is far superior to UTL. 

Despite the misleading topic title of this thread, the current versions of AIG is actually quite simple to install and there is no complexity involved with its day-by-day use (you just select traffic with the normal sim traffic sliders).

I have AIG and UTL installed and active, but I rarely turn the UTL traffic on.

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

One of the main advatages of AIG over UTL is that it's actively developed by an enthusiastic group while development of UTx - as much as I like it - has been a nightmare for a decade.

I already tried installation of AIG some time ago but gave up when I saw the list of flightplans to choose from. Whould I hand-select them? While I happen to know a hand full of airlines 😉 most of them are uncommon to me. Should I install the hand full or batch-install the whole lot (which supposedly would make my machine explode and my sim implode) or something inbetween? Is there some sensible default selection for average users like Bruce B. (and me) who just want some nicely filled airports?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hi,

do I need any additional custom model matching rule set file to use AIG AI with VPilot? I use FLAi with their .vmr file for online flying (I don’t fly offline) but wanna try AIG (looks amazing for me). 

Cheers

Adrian

55 minutes ago, pmb said:

One of the main advatages of AIG over UTL is that it's actively developed by an enthusiastic group while development of UTx - as much as I like it - has been a nightmare for a decade.

I already tried installation of AIG some time ago but gave up when I saw the list of flightplans to choose from. Whould I hand-select them? While I happen to know a hand full of airlines 😉 most of them are uncommon to me. Should I install the hand full or batch-install the whole lot (which supposedly would make my machine explode and my sim implode) or something inbetween? Is there some sensible default selection for average users like Bruce B. (and me) who just want some nicely filled airports?

Hi

The way I do it is to select the airports I use most regularly and google which airlines use those airports. Then bulk select those airlines then install using OCI and sit back and let it do it’s thing. It might take awhile depending on how many airlines have been selected...

Hope that helps

Regards

G

• Like 3

On 6/27/2020 at 1:30 AM, benwbriscoe said:

I clearly need a computer science degree to even begin to get it to work.

Now that’s dramatic.

It’s super easy to use. Just load airlines and download their flight plans with the one click tool. 

Edited by Karelpatch
  • Like 1

Thank you it does look like UTL is all I need for my particular AI requirements. One thing that does strike me is that P3D is primarily a first person flight simulator with AI providing background colour and movement but not the main game - at least for me..  It seems given the effort and complexities of setup that AIG goes well beyond this and has a bit of the tail wagging the dog sort of thing although I fully acknowledge the dedication of all who provide the original coding and ongoing support.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

22 hours ago, pmb said:

Michael, I’d suggest choosing your favorite airport and then googling which airlines fly out of it (so you don’t overlook the smaller ones). Install those airlines, and then see if you like AIG. That’s what I did as my first step.

UTL traffic levels are controllable in sim (ctrl shift 11/12), and AIG is controlled with the traffic slider, so it’s easy to turn one on and the other off to compare traffic at your chosen spot.

If you decide that you like AIG - which is likely - then you can be bold and go ahead and install the full set of airlines. I have every single one installed, and I promise you, you CPU will not melt!

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 hours ago, brucewtb said:

It seems given the effort and complexities of setup that AIG goes well beyond this and has a bit of the tail wagging the dog sort of thing although I fully acknowledge the dedication of all who provide the original coding and ongoing support.

Bruceb

Bruce, it's not a high maintenance program. I only go online to check for updates every couple of weeks. Updating those takes a few minutes. I recently completed a round-the-world tour and every airport I visited had Ai aircraft in all sorts of airlines. It brought default airports to life.

There are over 600 airlines that can be installed but it's not mandatory to install all of them. You could stick to a dozen major airlines and stop there. It's purely down to the user how much they want installed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for the answers on airline selection guys, much acknowledged. Maybe I'll give AIG another spin.

Kind regards, Michael

On 6/27/2020 at 5:24 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

That's one aspect I haven't used. 

I love it, Ray! It works very well on the client PC, both the traffic board and the Limiter part.

Thanks.