Sign in to follow this  
Sonne

VR performance on high end System

Hello all.

I‘ve just set up my new system and I must admit, that I am kind of underwhelmed by the VR-Performance in P3D v4.5 with the latest PMDG 747 with the Rift S.

First to the setup:

i9900k @ 5.0GHz

64GB RAM 

RTX 2080Ti 11GB ( 442.19 Driver )

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XI, Intel Z390

M.2 SSD 500GB

The performance in 2D seems to be improved decently with regard to my previous System ( i4770k / 16GB RAM / 980ti ), but I‘ve been expecting much more in VR:

When the aircraft is static on the ground, everything is fine. Panning / looking around in the VC with the PMDG 747, Active Sky and a complex airport addon is a joy.

But as soon as the Aircraft starts to move ( ground / airborne ), I experience microstutters with the scenery display, this is especially pronounced when in turns ( while doing a sharp taxi-turn on the ground, or when flying a turn ).

I have no .cfg tweaks so far. 
Settings in P3D are intermediate/medium.

All I did is to check the „disable fullscreen optimization“ checkbox in the prepar3d.exe properties, which improved things a bit.

I‘m running the latest Oculus Tray Tool with ASW off, supersampling of 1.8 and CPU Priority set to high ( same settings as on my old system ).

I‘d be happy for any assistance, as I‘ve been expecting much more from this system.

Best regards,

Toto

Edited by Sonne

These are the settings I use for P3D version 5.0HF2 - I just have an RTX2070 but a 9700K@5Ghz. I also have a Reverb (2x2160x2160) so I don't have any SuperSampling. I find that every thing is very smooth at 45fps (frame interpolation enabled ) with a lightweight aircraft (F35 or Maule, etc) but with the QW787, I have to use it at a less complex scenery airport or I will get some stutter.

Graphics: FXAA=off, AA=4XMSAA. Ani=8x, TexRes=4096, Unlimited
          LOD=Ultra,TessFac=High,Mesh=5m,TexRes=7cm, UseHighResTex,
          Scene Comp=VeryDense, AutoGen=Medium,Veg+Bldg=Normal,DynamicVeg=on
          Water Detail=Low, no Bath, no reflections
          SpecEff=Medium
          HDR=OFF, DynRef=off, DynLighting=off,LandLights=on
          Shadow qual = Low, Shadow Draw Dist = Low, Casting+Rec = both for Internal and External
          Cloud Draw Dist = 80, Density = Medium, Detail clouds, Vol Fog-on, Det Prec=on, Windshield effects=on (v5 Enhanced Atmos = OFF)
          Traffic - Gen Av=10, Road Veh=10
          VR=single pass, OSDM = Double

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

P3D's VR experience overall is very underwhelming and has barely improved in the last years. XP11 and DCS are miles ahead. Hopefully MSFS will bring something new into the table...

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

2 hours ago, GCBraun said:

P3D's VR experience overall is very underwhelming and has barely improved in the last years. XP11 and DCS are miles ahead. Hopefully MSFS will bring something new into the table...

Disagree with you complete. I can't speak of DCS but P3dV5 H2 is for me miles ahead on Xplane11 with the Reverb so I don't understand your statement of no improvements with P3d in VR.

In 2D monitor settings, Xplane11 is very good by the way but not in VR.

You have a very decent system, i9-10900 and a 2080TI compared to my i5-9600K and Titan XP and I have a steady 45 fps by 8xSSAA in full ORBX mode including TE and 150% SS. It's coming even close now to the Aerofly 2 VR quality.

Xplane is much improved with the latest beta but still 2K Colors and lots of shimmer in VR.

Just my 2 cents,

Happy landings... 

34 minutes ago, simba_nl said:

Disagree with you complete. I can't speak of DCS but P3dV5 H2 is for me miles ahead on Xplane11 with the Reverb so I don't understand your statement of no improvements with P3d in VR.

In 2D monitor settings, Xplane11 is very good by the way but not in VR.

You have a very decent system, i9-10900 and a 2080TI compared to my i5-9600K and Titan XP and I have a steady 45 fps by 8xSSAA in full ORBX mode including TE and 150% SS. It's coming even close now to the Aerofly 2 VR quality.

Xplane is much improved with the latest beta but still 2K Colors and lots of shimmer in VR.

Just my 2 cents,

Happy landings... 

How do you interact with the airplane knobs and switches? With the mouse?

Besides touch controls, XP11 has always been much smoother and reliable for me in VR.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

14 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

How do you interact with the airplane knobs and switches? With the mouse?

Besides touch controls, XP11 has always been much smoother and reliable for me in VR.

Yes, I'm using Saitek Throttle quadrant and a Microsoft Joystick with plenty of programmed buttons like a HOTAS  and the rest is by mouse. (I also use exactly the same config in XP11)

I also have in all my P3d planes VR access to the charts and other essential info and fly most of the time online on Vatsim without taking my headset off so I can simulate from A to Z in 100% VR.

You are suggesting in your reply that there are no improvements in P3d for years but in my experience that's only valid for the VR interface and yes, P3D has still a way to go to improve the VR interface.

The original poster however is asking/complaining about the overall performance of P3dv5 and as I stated, (keep in mind, I was also a big fan of XP11 in 2D) the performance and image quality compared to XP11 is miles ahead now with DX12 when you have a modern and fast system. I was hoping that Xplane11 was getting a big boost under VR with the Vulkan engine but in my system there is a big boost in fps but not in image quality but I'm not gonna argue with you which one is better. 

The original poster can download a demoversion of Xplane11 and find it out by himself but for me personally, the 2K colors and massive shimmer in XP11 compared to the V5 HF2 version is the most important and actual show stopper and I am curious what MSFS2020 is bringing in with VR within a couple of months.

Happy landings...

Hi,

I apologise for butting into this topic.  Simba's mention of using charts etc. in VR perked my interest, although I'm equally interested in VR performance in P3D.  I'm currently using FlyInside to run P3D v4.4, and mainly want to keep seeing, in my Vive Pro headset, 2D windows of the F1 GTN750, a Groundhandling Gauge, and the readout from PF3 ATC.

FlyInside has served me well ever since the launch of Rift1 but seems unlikely to have further updates.  I'd like to fly P3D independently in VR, but don't want to lose the smooth experience I presently have, and the 2D windows I mentioned are important to me..

I'd be really glad of advice which would allow me to keep up with LM's progress.  My system:

i7 8700k o'clocked to 5.0Mhz and GF RTX 2080ti

Regards, Jim

P.S.  I just noticed my sig is now my No.2 System.

52 minutes ago, simba_nl said:

I also have in all my P3d planes VR access to the charts and other essential info and fly most of the time online on Vatsim without taking my headset off so I can simulate from A to Z in 100% VR.

Edited by jimh

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

16 hours ago, jimh said:

Simba's mention of using charts etc. in VR perked my interest

In your GTN750 you can look and read charts and find other relevant Airport and Airways info.

I'm also using the F1 GTN750 in my "in-dash"  modded airplanes like the Pilatus PC12, TBM-850 and Embrear 505 Phenom 300, where the GTN750 is replacing the middle G1000 screen complete. 

In the bigger planes and/or airliners, I'm using only versions with a build in "Electronic Flight Bag" like the PMDG 737 NGxu working with pdf files for charts or build in "tablet" like the TFDi 717 with jpg images of the charts. In both airliners I can view all the relevant airway and airport charts and comm freq's without destroying the VR experience with 2D pop-up screens in the cockpit.

On the secundairy EFB screen or tablet screen (right seat in the cockpit) I have running a separate screen with the demanded Vatsim freq's,

For me a VR experience is only working without any overlay or 2D screen floating around or projected on the windscreen.

Happy landings...   

On 6/28/2020 at 9:14 AM, Sonne said:

Hello all.

I‘ve just set up my new system and I must admit, that I am kind of underwhelmed by the VR-Performance in P3D v4.5 with the latest PMDG 747 with the Rift S.

First to the setup:

i9900k @ 5.0GHz

64GB RAM 

RTX 2080Ti 11GB ( 442.19 Driver )

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XI, Intel Z390

M.2 SSD 500GB

The performance in 2D seems to be improved decently with regard to my previous System ( i4770k / 16GB RAM / 980ti ), but I‘ve been expecting much more in VR:

When the aircraft is static on the ground, everything is fine. Panning / looking around in the VC with the PMDG 747, Active Sky and a complex airport addon is a joy.

But as soon as the Aircraft starts to move ( ground / airborne ), I experience microstutters with the scenery display, this is especially pronounced when in turns ( while doing a sharp taxi-turn on the ground, or when flying a turn ).

I have no .cfg tweaks so far. 
Settings in P3D are intermediate/medium.

All I did is to check the „disable fullscreen optimization“ checkbox in the prepar3d.exe properties, which improved things a bit.

I‘m running the latest Oculus Tray Tool with ASW off, supersampling of 1.8 and CPU Priority set to high ( same settings as on my old system ).

I‘d be happy for any assistance, as I‘ve been expecting much more from this system.

Best regards,

Toto

This is probably something you have to live with. V4. 5 probably doesn't get much better and throwing better hardware at it won't help much. V5. 0 is supposedly smoother.

The one concrete tip I have to offer is turn down the supersamling. 1.8 is very high even for your card.

The banking judder I never got rid of with rift S on 4.5 . This was my main reason for moving quickly to V5 . V5 has its own problems and Vram will be your main enemy with VR. Single pass and high PD equals high VRAM dont expect anything above 1024 textures . But once set up does work better than 4.5 . ASW non functional judders like hell. No ASW ,PD 1.7, locked frames at 33fps, yes that surprised me , no v sync. FFTF running , I was getting blurries without on V5 may not need it since HF2 but still run it as see no downside. Use OTT to set PD tray tool does not work all time and turn off the setting on tray tool that sets automatic performance . Much sharper without. If anyone is interested will post my V5 settings and OTT profile  .

This gives me smooth flight on a 1080TI and dont go lower that 11gig video card .  

• Like 1

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

Hello Cannow.

Yes, but be happy if you could both your P5D and OTT settings.

Best regards,

Toto

On 6/30/2020 at 6:22 AM, cannow said:

The banking judder I never got rid of with rift S on 4.5 . This was my main reason for moving quickly to V5 . V5 has its own problems and Vram will be your main enemy with VR. Single pass and high PD equals high VRAM dont expect anything above 1024 textures . But once set up does work better than 4.5 . ASW non functional judders like hell. No ASW ,PD 1.7, locked frames at 33fps, yes that surprised me , no v sync. FFTF running , I was getting blurries without on V5 may not need it since HF2 but still run it as see no downside. Use OTT to set PD tray tool does not work all time and turn off the setting on tray tool that sets automatic performance . Much sharper without. If anyone is interested will post my V5 settings and OTT profile  .

This gives me smooth flight on a 1080TI and dont go lower that 11gig video card .  

You got me tempted to jump to V5.

The micro judders plague FSX and P3D 4.5 no matter what

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I‘ve installed P3D v5 now.

I cannot confirm the vast improvements within VR as described within this thread.

It is a bit smoother, yes, but it still requires the OTT in order to get it running half way smoothly.

Furthermore, even with Supersampling set to 1.8 in the OTT it lacks some sharpness and looks a bit blurry / washed out. This was not the case on P3D v4.5 with the same OTT settings, where the display was really crisp.

Maybe something wrong with my system, thus I‘m returning it.

Best regards,

Toto

You guys are starting off with some awfully high supersampling.....I wouldn't expect to keep performance stable past 1.3  personally

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2