Sign in to follow this  
Scupper

MegaScenery Earth 50% off everything

MegaScenery Earth are offering 50% off everything until July 8th. 

https://www.megasceneryearth.com/

I don't have any of this yet but I have a few questions for those that do. Does it work with P3D5? Does it come with its own autogen? Does it mess with P3D autogen? Would it conflict with Orbx Central Rockies if I get MegaEarth Montana?

Thanks, - any advice appreciated.

• Like 2

Works fine with V5.

Photoscenery generally does not come with autogen.

You'll need to respect layering order when using PS with ORBX.

6 hours ago, Scupper said:

Would it conflict with Orbx Central Rockies if I get MegaEarth Montana?

They are different methods of scenery. One would overlay and conceal the other. You would not use the two together.

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

10 hours ago, fppilot said:

They are different methods of scenery. One would overlay and conceal the other. You would not use the two together.

You actually could and would if they align properly...

They are smart to get some sales in before MSFS2020 is released........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

You certainly can use it. You just have to make sure the photo is above any autogen. It will take priority and autogen addons will fill in places the photo is missing. It wont align properly but is better than not using autogen mods as then you'd only get the default p3d autogen. I would personally use photo realistic and let orbx global base or orbx lc cover the rest.

55 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

You actually could and would if they align properly...

Would you do that and post a couple of screen shots?  They are both solid layers.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for the comments.

If I get MS Montana and use it with Orbx Central Rockies (which include most of Montana), will the Orbx autogen appear on top of the MS photoscenery (assuming I have the order right in the scenery library)? Or do people buy some other autogen pack? The videos on MegaScenery Earth's homepage seem to have a lot of autogen.

I think it's fine to use Montana and CRM together because the CRM area is far bigger than just Montana, so I imagine Montana would exclude it within it's (Montana's) borders.

I still don't quite see how the autogen side of it works, - maybe I should just buy one and tinker with it...

Edited by Scupper
Afterthought

2 hours ago, Scupper said:

Thanks for the comments.

If I get MS Montana and use it with Orbx Central Rockies (which include most of Montana), will the Orbx autogen appear on top of the MS photoscenery (assuming I have the order right in the scenery library)? Or do people buy some other autogen pack? The videos on MegaScenery Earth's homepage seem to have a lot of autogen.

I think it's fine to use Montana and CRM together because the CRM area is far bigger than just Montana, so I imagine Montana would exclude it within it's (Montana's) borders.

I still don't quite see how the autogen side of it works, - maybe I should just buy one and tinker with it...

So if you use two Photo realism mods, whichever one is the first in order will prioritise. But.... If that area is smaller for example than the other mod, the other mod will fill in what the first didn't as the first will have geographic coords for itself. Once it finishes whatever other mod below or autogen will then take over. So in your example above, put your preferred mod above the other.

Like I said earlier, I'd buy a good autogen like ORBX global and then run photo scenery over the top. Unless you have photo scenery covering the entire continent you are flying in, there is no getting away from misalignment on the border of the photo scenery. That's why I like TE Britain because it covers the entire country. Then the autogen will come in when I cross the channel or fly to Ireland but having a good autogen means you don't really notice the difference til you descend below 7k. 

My two cents.

Hi guys,

reading through this thread, a lot of the advice is not really correct.

I have most of the Orbx and Megascenery products, and I do use them together. Here is the answer to the questions asked:

1. If you use photoscenery, it will completely remove standard landclass scenery (the "fake" scenery tiles that FSX/Prepar3d default - along with Orbx regions - are based on) and the landclass-based autogen from the area that it covers. When you get to the edge of the scenery, yes, you'll see whatever other scenery you have there. Myself, I have full US Megascenery coverage of the US, so the only edge is the ocean. It's up to you how much of the world you want to buy.

2. Does megascenery come with autogen? That's easy - No.

3. Does the order matter? Not really. If you're running photoscenery for an area, it obliterates the landclass for the same location wherever you put it in the scenery library (if you're using the addon.xml method, order is even less relevant). Higher definition photoscenery will display above lower definition photoscenery. 

4. But I want "autogen".! That's what Orbx TrueEarth gives you - photoscenery and autogen in one package. You can also buy just the autogen from other devs - Real World Scenery and Nuvecta. It's not great, but if you really want to autogen over your megascenery, that's the ticket. Or you can make it yourself, or download from others who have already done that (it's made with a program called Scenproc, which is complicated).

So, why do I fly with Orbx regions PLUS megascenery?

Pretty simple, really, An Orbx product like Pacific Northwest gives you better airports. They will align better with the Megascenery (because they're in the right place) and they will have more buildings, planes and people, all of which will which show above the photoscenery. This helps to remove the "flat" appearance of megascenery as you takeoff and land. I have a feeling that this blend works better in modern sims (P3D v4/5) than FSX, where getting the Orbx airports to appear sometimes took a bit of work.

Photoscenery looks great from above - which is why I always fly with it - but how high you have to be depends on the quality of the photoscenery. Megascenery is not great quality, but then neither is Orbx TrueEarth.

If you want great orthoscenery, go and get the Prepar3d version of the free tool, Ortho4XP, and make it yourself. This is what I use these days, although I did buy the full megascenery set in the past.

That's pretty much it. Your addon airports will show above Megascenery. The trees and buildings from FSX/Prepar3d or Orbx OpenLandclass or FTX regions will not. 

Orthoscenery/photoscenery is definitely worth it imo, but it does take some getting used to.

Final comments:

Most of the Megascenery Europe titles are pretty grim. Australia is surprisingly good (Tas/VIc/NSW/SW QLD), and that plays well with Orbx AU 2.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

15 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Someone has said that pretty much every time Megascenery has had a sale for the past year. No, it's not all about MSFS2020, megascenery regularly has 50% off sales.  I've been buying their products for many years now (since v1, when it was really dreadful), and I've very rarely paid more than 50% of the RRP. That's just how their pricing goes.

I promise you I will still be flying P3D with addons after MSFS is released, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

That reminds me, I really should get their Ireland scenery. I've got the rest of the UK in photoscenery (VFR Real 3d) so why not? (Apart from the Isle of Man unfortunately, oh well..)

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

18 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

uhm.. no, not really.. They actually do these 50% off everything every, what, 2 o 3 weeks..? All the time...