Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Lost VOR Audio Morse Code Identifiers

For some reason I no longer hear the morse code audio identifying my VOR stations. All communications and displays work fine. I also hear the approach marker signals fine. This is true of all aircraft and locations. No biggie but I do wonder why. Any ideas?

RTH

• Like 1

Is there a switch you may have flicked which mutes the audio for the nav radios maybe?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks for the reply HighBypass:

I don't think there is a mute switch anywhere relative to the VOR/ILS morse code audio with the exception of the VOR1, VOR2, DME, ADF etc. those selections light up fine when selected on the audio panel, but no code audio. Everything else works fine.

Now to throw in a little stuff: I have the Reality XP GNS530 GPS and GNS GMAGTX Audio Panel installed in all of the aircraft I normally fly. This unit will negate actuation only on other panels, for example with the King Radiostack or any Microsoft default audio panels. However when NAV 1 or NAV 2 or any of the other selections are activated on the Reality panel, they will also light up on the other panels. I don't believe this is the problem as I have had this arrangement for years with no morse code audio problem until recently. In addition to this, I have selected a Microsoft aircraft which I never fly unless trouble shooting that does not have the Reality unit or any other modifications. Again all lights illuminate when selected on the default audio panel, but no sound relative to the morse codes.

Again, thank you.

RTH

I just copied this reply from an OP who had a similar problem in an archived topic:

Problem resolved, perhaps the long way but this may be useful for someone in the future. I decided to reinstall FSX, but the first test after reinstall still did not give nav audio sounds. Checking the Sound settings again, I opened the Windows default sound folder to see the speaker set up. The default device was SB-X-Fi and speaker set up was 5.1, which is my configuration, although I generally use headphones with FSX (along with the usual option of enabling headphones and disabling speakers when headphones are sensed). As a test, I switched the configuration from 5.1 surround sound to Stereo. The Nav audio sounds returned, and I suspect that other sounds are improved s well, although I've yet to do much extensive testing. My guess (only that) is that the Nav sounds play through a central channel that doesn't work with the headphone set up {at least mine). The mild puzzle is why the same .wav sounds played for FS9 but not FSX - this is what initially led me down a separate track. I can only conjecture that sounds are somehow handled a bit differently between FS9 than FSX, so direct comparisons of this sort may not work. Those that are more expert than I might provide a proper explanation. But to summarize, the problem was missing Nav audio sounds with FSX - at least using headphones. Solution steps:1) Open Windows control panel, click on Hardware and Sound (or similar in other Windows versions).2) Open Sound panel, click on Speakesr and then on Configure.3) Set Audio channels to Stereo, and confirm sounds on both sides by clicking Test.4) Click Next a couple of times to apply settings and finish.In retrospect, I'm pretty sure if I'd taken these steps a reinstall could have been avoided. It may apply to similar sound problems, so may be worth a try if other steps have failed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thank you Charliearon!

I use The Realtek HD Audio Manager and have the 5.1 speakers.

You nailed it. I changed to Stereo as you suggested and got the audio code back but of course only my left and right speakers were activated. Ironically I changed back to 5.1 as I much prefer to have that implementation for everything else including flightsim as speakers can be better adjusted to room conditions which to me is a bit more realistic. I was ready to forget the audio morse code.. To my surprise I still could hear the morse code in 5.1 after switching back. I don't know if it will last or not nor understand why I lost it after working ok for years, Murphy's law I guess.

Again, thanks loads!

RTH

• Like 2