Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

Prepar3d v5 to the Max - These Sliders go Up to 11!

21 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

You say "Negative posts?", sounding aggrieved..and then 3 sentences later you say "Everyone banging on about how good P3DV5 is. It's not. It looks terrible." Usually you post - here, FS Elite, everywhere - about how it stutters, how bad it is, more about the stutters etc etc. Now you're telling me that it looks awful as well.

So...yeah...negative posts. 

You stalking me? You’re the only one with a problem with me? I never mentioned stutters in this post, you did.

And telling you? I wasn’t specifically addressing you. I’d rather you just ignored my posts to be honest, as that’s what I’m gonna do to yours from now on.  I’m not here for conflict, that you seem to be intent on creating with your snarky replies to me. I express an opinion. Like you do. If you don’t like it, just ignore it. It’s really as simple as that. Even better, just block me. Win win. 

12 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Don't spoil posts on him......it is wasted time.

I think we know what we are talking about. 😉

Yes, it's a pretty cool sim. 

I'm genuinely impressed with the stability with full-right sliders.

Is it practical to do this? Heck no. I'm a mid-range slider kind of guy. But I do have a few sliders further to the right than I did in v4 for everyday flying (mainly traffic and shadows, plus the addition of TrueSky). With a bit of luck, LM will optimise the DX12 performance further as the sim progresses.

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 6/30/2020 at 6:05 PM, OzWhitey said:

The numbers are definitely real, you may be able to read the VRAM off the screenshots if you peer hard enough. The reason I put the CPU/GPU/RAM monitoring data in the screenshots is so that you can see for yourself what it does in various situations.

Well I just reinstalled V5 with HF2 and found out why your numbers look better then those I have experienced....it seemed a bit fishy....

I did check the VRAM usage with MSI Afterburner and not with P3D Info display as you did in your screenshots. On my end with my settings (HD res and mid to low sliders) P3D shows using ONLY 2.2Gig of VRAM BUT MSI Afterburner shows 3.3...3.4 Gig.

Monitoring MSI Afterburner and cranking up the settings, P3D "died" just at the point when the max VRAM limit was hit (due to the fact that P3D died, I can't tell what the usage was in P3D but it was allthe time showing 1Gig less).

IMHO the P3D VRAM usage might be showing some wrong figures.....

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

20 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Well I just reinstalled V5 with HF2 and found out why your numbers look better then those I have experienced....it seemed a bit fishy....

I did check the VRAM usage with MSI Afterburner and not with P3D Info display as you did in your screenshots. On my end with my settings (HD res and mid to low sliders) P3D shows using ONLY 2.2Gig of VRAM BUT MSI Afterburner shows 3.3...3.4 Gig.

Monitoring MSI Afterburner and cranking up the settings, P3D "died" just at the point when the max VRAM limit was hit (due to the fact that P3D died, I can't tell what the usage was in P3D but it was allthe time showing 1Gig less).

IMHO the P3D VRAM usage might be showing some wrong figures.....

P3D vram counter doesn’t show the VRAM being used by the OS and other apps. Instead it lowers the available amount to account for this. 

MSI afterburner will show the total across all currently used programs. Ultimate the figure is the same, just different ways of showing it if that makes sense

2 hours ago, mrlip said:

P3D vram counter doesn’t show the VRAM being used by the OS and other apps. Instead it lowers the available amount to account for this.

Sure but the available VRAM read out from P3D didn't match either....there was still a significant difference.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Tried doing a similar test recently with my latest GPU, the 2080ti. Couldn't quite pull it off with those results. I'm guessing that I9 is much more powerful than the I7 I have. Still I am happy with my setup now. Swapping out my old 1070 for the 2080ti, made a huge difference none the less. Interestingly I can max out XP11 in most situations, but not P3D. There aren't as many customizable settings with XP though, so that may be the reason there. Both sims offer much better performance than their older versions though!

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Only in Flightsim could we consider 13 FPS in the VC, 20 FPS external view a win... I love this hobby 🙂  

I'm more interested in what you have to do to get back to 60FPS in the Queen or Maddog VC at SFO to be interested but looks phenomenal and glad you are happy more than anything!!

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Hi,

Impressive and interesting as all this may be, It fails to explain why during testing @OzWhitey did not encounter the DXGI ERROR DEVICE HUNG fatal error.

Or, is this annoying issue now specific to the more recent V5.1 (HF1)? I have an 11GB card and can encounter this somewhat random and unpredictable error with less than half VRAM usage (as shown in P3D).

Perhaps these experiences are suggesting that something else is responsible - Driver, DX12 optimisations? VRAM saturation may not be the prime cause, if it ever was, and it seems likely that LM/Nvidia should be looking elsewhere.

Until this is sorted out, IMHO, while performance is good, it cannot be said that P3D V5.1 (HF1) is currently 100% stable.

Mike

Here I post some issues which can lead to DXGI Hung error

With the nvidia driver 460.79 I did not have a single CTD. I tested this with stock and 4 addon planes and all my addons are active. Have tested this round about 100+ hours!

All the drivers after 460.79 did bring me more stutters or the last one, HF 461.33, which should solve stuttering in VR, does bring me the device hung error.

So this DXGI error is not motivating at all if you are not knowing what exactly does cause it.

I have found the following issues which CAN cause them:

1) VRAM spikes (playing with settings in P3D) after starting a flight in P3D

2) Out of VRAM after starting a flight in P3D (never bin an issue for me with 24GB)

3) older trueglass.dll - disable any trueglass.dll/reallight.dll within P3D-Root "gauges" directory by renaming them "trueglass.dll.off"/reallight.dll.off or delete them. Use the newest installers which you can get via ORBX central (partner tab) or ask directly at TFDI design

4) older reallight.dll - See previous bulletpoint

5) Bathemetry on - turn it off. LM is aware of this one

6) Vegetation shadows casting on - very rare. LM is aware of this one too. Turn it off (unchecked=off)

7) Nvidia Driver - 460.79 is very stable

Having so much causes can drive someone really insane.

I do hope you get sort it out. LM is still working on VRAM management, as they stated in one of their feedbacks here at the support forum.

Above works for me very well but must not work for you. But at least this are some well known "work arounds" and hopefully they will work for you too!

Hang on guys! I am sure things will get better! P3D is indeed a very stable platform. But I am aware off having CTD can indeed make someone very unhappy.

Marcus

• Like 3

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Latest P3D with a 2080Ti or even better and a good CPU is simply stunning. The best airliners available anywhere, ***tloads of high quality airports, superb VFR scenery and aircraft to match... It'll be a very very pleasing wait until MSFS catches up and the switch can be made (if it ever deserves it).

Edited by Nuno Pinto
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Hi Marcus,

30 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Having so much causes can drive someone really insane

Not quite at that point yet...lol!

Thanks for your very helpful response! I’m aware of most, if not all, of your listed suggestions as I’ve read your posts on this topic elsewhere on this forum. 

1/2. I do see negative VRAM spikes from time to time and this usually signals a brief coarse stuttering event. LP0 usually runs flat out so wondering whether these negative spikes are the result of brief oversaturation of scenery data being delivered from the other LPs which has to be queued before it can be handled by LP0 and then transferred on to the GPU for rendering - assuming, that is, I’m understanding what’s going on correctly. I lock at 120fps and peg my frame rate at 31 via NCP. No VSync or TB. I run GSync + VRR checked in sim. Most of the time performance is very smooth (with or without EA) and with very little in the way of micro-stuttering. I always fly with ORBX Global, etc. and, yes, as @Nuno Pinto has stated, the visuals are indeed stunning!

3/4. Trueglass.dll is disabled. Not sure whether I have the reallight.dll file - I will check.

5. Bathymetry is OFF

6. Vegetation shadows are OFF as adversely affects performance.

So, that leaves the graphics Driver. I’ll test with 460.79.

Fingers crossed!

Regards,

Mike

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Fingers crossed!

Regards,

Mike

Mike I have a 1080ti and must run with vsync off.   My v5HF1 is smooth and fast.  

This is different than with P3Dv4.x where I had to run with vsync on for smoothness.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Interestingly I’ve had great success with using VRR in p3dv5. The sim is buttery smooth and I haven’t had to reduce my monitor’s refresh rate which is nice for a change. No Dxgi errors either since the last update

Edited by sho69607

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Yeah that's great and all. But try this with add-ons and watch that vram skyrocket. 

I'm holding out for a new gpu with over 12Gb vram until I get giddy about p3dv5.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor