haseen

Prepar3D v5 or MS FS 2020?

51 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I'm surprised you even ask the question. It is self-evident that P3D is a licensed, commercial product intended from the outset to be used in FAA approved training devices. In fact their licensing agreement with MS specifically stipulated that it not be marketed as a consumer product.

Heaven forbid , I was not discussing the EULA and the certainly interesting licensing contract LM signed with MS😅 but how the revenue splits between its different markets. I have personally not read the contract nor had a look on the LM accounting books. So far, I do not know of anybody who has. I still need to be convinced that whatever  you call it, the consumer market is non significant in term of money for LM. 

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals -

43 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I still need to be convinced that whatever  you call it, the consumer market is non significant in term of money for LM. 

Honestly, neither have I seen such data, nor do I have any need to. Since my current work is primarily on the commercial side of P3D the NDAs I've signed disallows me from making more than deliberately broad statements.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that my friend.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

Many Thanks to All That Donated To Our Server Drive!

It's actually non of our business, anyway. LM going to show a bunch of gamers their financials & their contracts?

Seriously? You living in Laa land!

Dominique, I notice that you been simming since 1981. That reminds me of the flight sim I had on my TRS-80 in the 1980's. Good times..

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Just now, n4gix said:

Honestly, neither have I seen such data, nor do I have any need to. Since my current work is primarily on the commercial side of P3D the NDAs I've signed disallows me from making more than deliberately broad statements.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that my friend.

I appreciate your contributions Bill and far from me was the idea to ask you anything that would break a NDA !  It was a general interrogation. Common wisdom says something which is unproven by facts as far as I know.  A professional life of political and financial analysis makes cautious on unsubstantiated affirmations specially when they are used to support a debatable argument. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals -

9 hours ago, honanhal said:

But sales numbers? From what we’ve already seen, there’s no scenario in which early sales figures for MSFS don’t exceed — handily — every copy of P3D ever sold (ok, licensed).

You lost me there, MSFS isn't a released product so there are no sales numbers?  You and MS seem to be hoping there is a huge market of end users interested in flight simulation ... I've done my market research and regardless of platform or promises, flight simulation doesn't bring in the sales numbers that other titles do (like 3D shooters, etc.).  It's a shame, but it is what it is, hence the caution.

To be blunt, any addon creator who’s adopting a wait-and-see approach to MSFS solely because they don’t think it’s going to sell more copies than the niche legacy sims may want to reconsider their business career.

So you are aware of sales numbers for existing content providers and sales number of MSFS that hasn't been released yet?  Are you a time traveler or is this just speculation?  In the world of flight simulators, caution is how one stays in business ... putting all of one's eggs in one basket is not a good business decision, never has been, never will be ... diversity in following the sales numbers.  

And by the way: what percentage of existing P3D and Xplane users will buy MSFS? I think it’s at least 90 percent

Which would not be enough, 800% might work.  I get the 'desire' and 'hope' that we'll see 800% increase in users willing to buy a flight simulator and the DLC for it and would love to see that, but I'm NOT going to be blind to history of flight simulation and my own market research.  There are many challenges in the MSFS SDK, the core product has issues and missing features, and the question of fees to DLC providers.  It's MS job to get those 8X increase in sales and not of just the core product alone, but of DLC because that is where MS will be making the majority of their long term revenue from DLC providers.  They need to convince DLC providers this is a platform they want to sell on ... at this point in the development process I'm not all roses and lots of hoops to jump thru with restrictions.

To further add to caution as echo'd here and elsewhere is that MSFS users may find it "enough" for their needs and will not have the desire to buy DLC, fair enough.

But these threads always end up being the same ... rinse and repeat ... all other FS platforms will die, everyone will buy MSFS, all DLC will be exclusively for MSFS or else.  I'm all for optimism, but what I've seen here is dooms day speculation of other platforms, very unrealistic expectations, toxic and almost threatening comments about how others should conduct business ... often makes me wonder just how enthusiastic people really are for "flight simulation" ... go beyond the line of "passion" to the process of conflict.  Love what you like, but don't hate on others because it's not what YOU like. 

I said from day one of MSFS announcement that I'm "cautiously optimistic", after using MSFS and working with the SDK that has changed a little, I'm now a "cautious wait and see" ... that comes from direct experience with the product not speculation.  It's still "Alpha" so there is time to get more features/issues sorted out ... wait and see if the TBD's turn into something real.

Cheers, Rob.