Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

TO ENVTEX OR NOT TO ENVTEX

On 7/1/2020 at 6:06 PM, MindYerBeak said:

Would you mind sharing your settings ? Thanks

That´s no problem, but the issue is that i can´t attach a screenshot here in the thread and the way by doing this via an external picture cloud is no way for me. 

But i can say, that i´ve used the standard settings called "normal" for envshade, because they are very good and balanced, with the following exceptions:

I´ve put the terrainsaturation down to very low. Because this gives the terrain the bluish look from distance that you have in reality because of the athmospheric scattering. With the normal settings the terrain is way too much colourfull. 

And i have set the sunsize 2 steps below normal because with the normal setting the sun appears too big. In the reality the sun and the moon have accidently the same size for us planetary residents on earth. And their natural size is nearly the same size of a 2 Euro coin in your outstretched hand (in a perspective meaning of course). The apperance of a much bigger moon or sun, especially if they are near the horizon, is just an illusion that our brain conducts for us, because sun and moon are never getting so close to us as they might appear. Of course this is a question of personal taste, but i want to see in my sim nearly the same i can see in reality.

And i use the high quality shaders of envshade.

hope this helps

Edited by BerndB
  • Like 1

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

4 minutes ago, BerndB said:

I´ve put the terrainsaturation down to very low. Because this gives the terrain the bluish look from distance that you have in reality because of the athmospheric scattering. With the normal settings the terrain is way to much colourfull.

I've also found this minimizes the scattered orange terrain of TE Norcal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, newtie said:

So that´s good then?. This bluish tone and haze is a very important portion of the immersion of the athmospheric apperance. I used the Tophat preset with PTA before because the guys have found the most natural look of the distance terrain with it. And this came from the slight bluish toning of the athmophere as greater the distance become because of the lightscattering into more blue light in our athmosphere.( i don´t talk about the sky, i talk about the athmosphere which is between our viewpoint ant the object we look at, like terrain etc.)  

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

10 minutes ago, newtie said:

Oh ! That's sound a very good idea which worth the test ! Thanks.

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

On 7/1/2020 at 10:23 PM, edpatino said:

Never had an issue or conflicts till now with ENVTEX and ORBX textures

@newtie the above answer is good but easy to misunderstood. If you have an ORBX product that changes e.g. generic runway textures (e.g. WWA HD) and have another product changing the same generic runways (e.g. ENVTEX) they will overwrite eachother textures depending on which Addon you have run last.

So basicaly you must know what product coveres what part of the SIM in terms of "look" and decide which texture you like the most.

A custom scenery with custom textures will NOT be overwritten by any Addon changing generic textures!

Edited by GEKtheReaper

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

1 hour ago, BerndB said:

That´s no problem, but the issue is that i can´t attach a screenshot here in the thread and the way by doing this via an external picture cloud is no way for me. 

But i can say, that i´ve used the standard settings called "normal" for envshade, because they are very good and balanced, with the following exceptions:

I´ve put the terrainsaturation down to very low. Because this gives the terrain the bluish look from distance that you have in reality because of the athmospheric scattering. With the normal settings the terrain is way too much colourfull. 

And i have set the sunsize 2 steps below normal because with the normal setting the sun appears too big. In the reality the sun and the moon have accidently the same size for us planetary residents on earth. And their natural size is nearly the same size of a 2 Euro coin in your outstretched hand (in a perspective meaning of course). The apperance of a much bigger moon or sun, especially if they are near the horizon, is just an illusion that our brain conducts for us, because sun and moon are never getting so close to us as they might appear. Of course this is a question of personal taste, but i want to see in my sim nearly the same i can see in reality.

And i use the high quality shaders of envshade.

hope this helps

Thanks.I re-installed envshade. I moved terrain saturation to very low and chose high quality shaders.p3dv5 looked too dark tho.At 3,30pm in EDHI it looked as if it was 6 or 7pm.By the time I was close to eddf I got my first ever terrain.dll CTD

I used ENVTEX in v4 along with a host of other things from Rex to modify clouds, shaders etc.  It got to the point where I couldn’t keep track of what was doing what and more importantly what might be conflicting with what.  

With that in mind I decided to try and keep my v5 installation more simple and so far am just using active sky and ASCA and am happy with what I’m seeing.

• Like 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I just purchased/installed P3D V5 after a year away from the sim.  I have decided to hold off on using EA/Truesky right now in the sim for reasons stated in this thread such as the unrealistic WX transitions, etc.  I think it will be great once they get it figured out so now I am back in the same boat of figuring out what texture addons to use.  I am right now using ASP4 with ASCA (only cumulus clouds).  I installed ENvtex and using the Cirrus clouds and only a few other options like the sun, moon, Envmap.  I was a user and fan of PTA on the older P3D version but with that not compatible I tried Envshade.  I agree with the earlier post about it making everything too dim/dark in the sim and I just could not get it to look right in my eyes.  Maybe I will give it another try and mess with it some more.  I also am not happy with any sky textures at the moment as I always had one or two from REX SF that I thought looked great.  I am currently trying out Pascals natural sky but need to do a few more flights on it.  I am also not liking the night sky in this version with the stars being way too large/bright.  Looks like it will take a bit to get myself back to how my sim looked in v4.5....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

37 minutes ago, MindYerBeak said:

Thanks.I re-installed envshade. I moved terrain saturation to very low and chose high quality shaders.p3dv5 looked too dark tho.At 3,30pm in EDHI it looked as if it was 6 or 7pm.By the time I was close to eddf I got my first ever terrain.dll CTD

Did you set the HDR settings in P3D itself to the parameters as mentioned in the manual for Envshade?

I have a bright apperance of terrain at daytime. But i use also ENVTEX and ASCA together with envshade.

Bernd

3 minutes ago, BerndB said:

Did you set the HDR settings in P3D itself to the parameters as mentioned in the manual for Envshade?

oops. No I did not.

29 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

I am also not liking the night sky in this version with the stars being way too large/bright.  Looks like it will take a bit to get myself back to how my sim looked in v4.5....

Agree. Nothing compete the apearance of the nightsky and stars which is created by EA. Especially at the twilight. But the too big and bright stars in the legacy sim are an issue since the first days.

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

8 minutes ago, MindYerBeak said:

oops. No I did not.

well,.. you could even turn up the HDR luminosity in P3d above the parameters TOGA recomendation, if it fit´s more for you personal taste. 

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

Bernd,

I can't find the envsahde manual. I only see the envidr one here. On the toga site they don't have it either. I must  have missed it somethow