Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Any "Special Attachment" to an airport (s)?

I was just wondering if you fly to or from an airport that has a "special attachment" to your life!  I just love flying to and from Liverpool, UK, because I've always loved the Beatles. I mean I really loved almost all of their wonderfully creative music since I saw them on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964!  I remember it so well.  I love flying to Europe....Poland (EPWA), Krakow,  Berlin, Frankfort, Bucharest (LROP) and Prague.  All places that have very special meaning to me because I've loved visiting every one of those places.

I also love Buffalo (KBUF), NY, because my wife and I have had such good memories when we visited Niagra Falls.  I just love flying into Buffalo, and getting on a helicopter, and flying to the Falls between Canada and the U.S.

I love flying to the cities where my Daughters (3 of them) live.  I fly to KISP, Long Island...because my 1 Daughter lives in Sea Cliff, Long Island.  I visit.  Then I fly to Newark, N.J. because a Daughter lives in Scotch Plains, N.J.  I visit.  Then I fly to Philadelphia, because my oldest Daughter live close to that in Bucks County, PA. I may even take a GA aircraft from Philly and fly to Pennridge Airport which is only within a few miles of her house. I visit. 

I live in Pennsylvania, USA.  But I thought that I'd share with you why Flight Simming is so important to me.  Every day is an adventure, and it can be especially fun if you fly to and from airports that have a "special attachment" to your life.  I hope you all have special reasons for the places you fly to and from.

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

ATL for me.  Flown out of here 100's of times the last 15 years.  It just feels like home even though 20 years ago it wasn't home.  DAB because it's my college town.  BDL because it was my hometown airport.  However, I'm waiting to fly there until the LVFR scenery comes out. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Very nice topic for a thread! I defintiely do have a couple:

• Stockholm ESSA: it was my first ever addon airport that I had installed, ever. In FS98! Ever since I have always had a soft spot for it.
  • Copenhagen EKCH: I lived in Aarhus for a year, on an Erasmus exchange between my home university (Leiden, the Netherlands) and the university of Aarhus. I adored living in Denmark, and have always retained a lvoe for EKCH because of it.
  • Bergen ENBR: Never been here, but I just love the surrounding scenery and general location of the airport. Such a stunning approach.
  • Amsterdam EHAM: I'm Dutch! How can I not love my home airport. It has a unique layout and architecture, and I love flying over my house on approach from the south!
  • Vienna LOWW. I dare say Vienna is my favorite city in the world, and hence I love flying into LOWW!
  • Buffalo KBUF: I can't tell you why I like this airport so much, but FlyTampa KBUF is one of those that I always install and regulatory like to fly to.
  • Tel Aviv LLBG: Half my family is from Israel, and so I must have gone through LLBG at least 100 times. It will always be an important destination for me.
  • Nairobi HKJK: I took a long vacation in Kenya during a gap year between my bachelor and master degree, and the crazy adventures I will never forget. That includes navigating the Kenyan airports!

Truth be told, the list could go on, but I'll leave it with this for now. Curious to see what others come up with.

• Like 4

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

10 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Very nice topic for a thread! I defintiely do have a couple:

• Stockholm ESSA: it was my first ever addon airport that I had installed, ever. In FS98! Ever since I have always had a soft spot for it.
  • Copenhagen EKCH: I lived in Aarhus for a year, on an Erasmus exchange between my home university (Leiden, the Netherlands) and the university of Aarhus. I adored living in Denmark, and have always retained a lvoe for EKCH because of it.
  • Bergen ENBR: Never been here, but I just love the surrounding scenery and general location of the airport. Such a stunning approach.
  • Amsterdam EHAM: I'm Dutch! How can I not love my home airport. It has a unique layout and architecture, and I love flying over my house on approach from the south!
  • Vienna LOWW. I dare say Vienna is my favorite city in the world, and hence I love flying into LOWW!
  • Buffalo KBUF: I can't tell you why I like this airport so much, but FlyTampa KBUF is one of those that I always install and regulatory like to fly to.
  • Tel Aviv LLBG: Half my family is from Israel, and so I must have gone through LLBG at least 100 times. It will always be an important destination for me.
  • Nairobi HKJK: I took a long vacation in Kenya during a gap year between my bachelor and master degree, and the crazy adventures I will never forget. That includes navigating the Kenyan airports!

Truth be told, the list could go on, but I'll leave it with this for now. Curious to see what others come up with.

What's so good about this topic FOR ME...is that I get to know you better.  Your personality comes through in this response.  PLUS, you've given me some great airports for me to try.  They sound wonderful.  Yes....Fly Tampa Buffalo for V5 is a really good looking airport.  Love it!

Stan

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, micstatic said:

ATL for me.  Flown out of here 100's of times the last 15 years.  It just feels like home even though 20 years ago it wasn't home.  DAB because it's my college town.  BDL because it was my hometown airport.  However, I'm waiting to fly there until the LVFR scenery comes out. 

College town airports are especially meaningful for me.  Love to fly from my home airport (KABE) in Allentown, Pa. to Penn State University (KUNV). Excellent airport to fly into on runway 24 in the mountains of Centre County.  There's some activity at the airport too, with people mulling around.  Great school...great airport.

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Like 1

Limiting it to only 3 to keep this post short:

• EIDW: Spent a year living in Dublin and met my (now) wife there. Love the approach over the sea and the Howth peninsula. It's usually gusty on approach and has both the city and the Wicklow mountains as a pretty backdrop.
    Other than EGLL, I've flown more times to / from here than any other airport.

• EGLC: Home airport, steep approaches and an epic view of London if approaching on a 09 final.
    Usually can spot my home on final and be grateful that it will take no more than 45 minutes door-to-door after landing.
    If I start a trip from here, I'm usually going to have a great weekend away.

• VHHH: Very few cities have an international airport built on an artificial island.
    Depending on which runways in use and your seat on the aeroplane, you can get great views of Hong Kong, or see the other cities of the Pearl River Delta (e.g. Macau, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Guangzhou...) as well as the impressive road bridge connecting 3 of them.
    Spent a year living here as well.
    With most of the BA pax around me at LHR T5 checking-in to go to somewhere in Europe or North America, telling the check-in staff that I was off to Hong Kong again was so different and exciting.
    As a Brit, there's no destination more exotic, yet in parts strangely familiar.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I have a few, but will keep it short:

• RPLL: Since my wife is from the Philippines and I've flown in and out of there quite often.  Love it there and may passively retire there one day.
  • KTPA:  Worked there for a period of time with US Airways Express.  I lived in Tampa during my twenties and quite honestly learned pretty quickly if I continued working and living there, I would have ended up dead or worse from partying too much.
  • KBOS: Lived in Boston for 18 years out of my life and worked at this airport all of those years.  8 years with AA and American Eagle and another 10 years with Aviation Service Companies.
  • VHHH:  Flying in and out of Manila so much, I grew very fond of Hong Kong's airport.  What a dynamic airport and surrounding.  I agree with @F737NG
  • TTPP:  My family is from Trinidad & Tobago.  Flew there quite often when I was growing up and I have no doubt, my flights on Pan Am and her 747's back and forth to Piarco played an important part in my love for all things aviation.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

We vacation on Anguilla (almost) every year, which requires a flight into TNCM, St. Maarten. Combine that with the fact that it’s just such a cool airport and it’s a huge favorite of mine. And FlyTampa’s rendering is just extraordinary. I’ve flown in and out of there many a time in Britain-Norman Islanders, and even got the chance to do the takeoff once (I’m a RW pilot and the pilot is a friend of mine - still the only twin engine time in my logbook!).

And it goes without saying: TFFJ, St. Barts. I’ve flown in their once in the Islander, and it was the most amazing aviation experience of my life. Short final there feels like you’re being dropped off the side of a building. (Video here: Flight to St. Barts)

So when I’m not flying approaches at my home ‘drome, KRME, in Rome, NY, preparing for my real-world instrument checkride, i can usually be found tooling around the Caribbean  

EDDM, because I've lived nearby for almost my entire life. Naturally, I've flown in and out of there a number of times. Even worked there part-time for a while.

LGAV, because half my family lives there, so I've been there often. Dito for KIAD and PHNL - the other half of my family.

EDMA, because I've flown in and out of there in small Cessnas, dipping my feet into the real world of aviation.

KSFO, EGSS, LOWW, LGMT, Locher Airfield, UKBB and ULLI, because of visits during vacations.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

ZULS, ZUNZ, ZUBD, ZUJZ the 4 main highland airport in southwest China when I start to fly them,

While now a days there are more and even higher one like ZUDC, those four with RNP-AR on iFly 737 is still my favorites.

Exeter (EGTE), Bournemouth (EGHH) and Bristol (EGGD) because I learnt to fly

at Exeter and those 3 airports formed the triangle in my Navigation test flight.

Also Inverness (EGPE) as that is my home airport now and the surroundings are

so beautiful. 🙂

Stan

15 hours ago, spilok said:

I love flying to the cities where my Daughters (3 of them) live.  I fly to KISP, Long Island...because my 1 Daughter lives in Sea Cliff, Long Island.  I visit.  Then I fly to Newark, N.J. because a Daughter lives in Scotch Plains, N.J.  I visit.  Then I fly to Philadelphia, because my oldest Daughter live close to that in Bucks County, PA. I may even take a GA aircraft from Philly and fly to Pennridge Airport which is only within a few miles of her house. I visit. 

Hi Stan, it would have been nice if you have attached some pictures of your (for sure) three pretty daughters, so we could get attached to their airports aswell...😁😍

But anyway, for me it´s EDDH (i use JustSim´s) because i lived near Hamburg some time ago an was nearly 3 days per week flying from there to many destination in Germany for business for 10 years. EDDH has a homelike feeling for me. But also EDDM, EDDF and EDDL and even EDDS, because those where my main destinations at that time. 

In Addition i´am also attached to LEAL and LEPA, because i was more than one time there for Hollidays. Especially Alicante from Pilots give a "realfeel" because of the details and correctness.

But i was also at KJFK, KIAD and KCLT some times for business reasons. 

Cheers

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

I enjoy flying in PNW, especially since I was there for a longer holiday last year. Of course I love takeoff and landings at my home airport LOWW (Vienna, Austria). And usually after a RW flight I always try to repeat it with my sim, including historical weather conditions and RW delays ;-). That's a lot of fun.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 minute ago, Nemo said:

And usually after a RW flight I always try to repeat it with my sim, including historical weather conditions and RW delays

Oh, absolutely 😉

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

I enjoy flying in PNW, especially since I was there for a longer holiday last year. Of course I love takeoff and landings at my home airport LOWW (Vienna, Austria). And usually after a RW flight I always try to repeat it with my sim, including historical weather conditions and RW delays ;-). That's a lot of fun.

That's a "must"!  Most of my fun in P3d has come from repeating RW flights.  I'm still doing it with trips that I've taken as far back as 1989 (JFK - Hong Kong).  That's an overnighter!

Stan