Sign in to follow this  
waleed

34 inch monitor advice Please

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Ianrivaldosmith, well I suppose you could have pasted the relevant sections so I didn't have to read through the whole review. Having done so I remain of the opinion that this is a monitor for games that require fast response times. P3D isn't one of those. In any case there's no computer around that will deliver 60+fps at places like Heathrow with a couple of hundred Ai aircraft.

If any decent specced computer drops below 30 it's because the settings are too high. You're asking the machine to do something it's not capable of. 30 is perfectly fluid for me but I accept there are those who have problems at that refresh rate.

I'm not convinced anyone needs to spend this sort of money on a monitor for P3D but again, that's just my opinion. Ultra-wide displays compromise the vertical element. That's why 16:9 tends to be the most popular. Again, subjective.

I wasn’t aware he said it was for P3D? I use it with XP11 and it’s perfectly attainable to get 60fps + at heavy airports with AI traffic. Plus we have MSFS on the horizon. Plus he also said he will use it for some gaming. I wouldn’t like to game at anything less than 100hz, pro or not, and I certainly wouldn’t without g-sync anymore 🙂 

also, the vertical element of this widescreen is taller. Hence another one of its benefits. It’s not like the old widescreen with compromised vertical element. 
It’s actually 9cm wider and 3CM taller. Those 3Cm make a world of difference. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

What do you guys reckon on Acer https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IL/content/predator-series/predatorx38

Am contemplating Acer over this LG https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38GL950G-B-gaming-monitor

Or any other 3840 x 1600 38" curved monitor.

Will be primarily used for P3Dv5 / MSFS2020 + PMDG A/Cs 

And for work - Word docs / Excel Spreadsheets / SAP (sucky apps) etc...

Prefer Gsync based Monitors due to my rig (see sig)

Edited by mario340500
clarity

Mario Lobo

P3D v:4.5| Win 10 2004 x64 pro | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E | i9-9900KS@ 5.1Ghz(OC) | Thermaltake Water Extreme 3.0 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTRS TZ Royal (16x2)32G Kit DDR4 3200Mhz | 11GB RTX 2080 TI Asus STRIX OC| 1x Samsung 970 PRO M.2 512GB | Samsung 970 PRO 1TB | 2x Samsung 860 PRO 2TB| Tt ToughpowerXT 875W | CoolerMaster HAF X Tower

10 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

If money is of little concern that would be an amazing monitor. I have a 38" dell and highly recommend the resolution/size for flight sims and for everything else for that matter. However I do wish mine had a faster response time and the HDR, not a deal breaker but I did get mine for $1k less then that too.

• Like 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

On 7/11/2020 at 7:18 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

You don’t want G-Sync compatible, you only want G-sync. This is because official G-Sync one will have a variable refresh rate from 1 through 144 hz+..... 

for simming that is what you need, because sometimes our FPS drop below 30. With a g-sync compatible the variable refresh rate is limited and normally 40-120hz. So, you can see the problem here. Drop below 40fps and you’ll disengage g-sync causing stuttering. I’ve been there and got the T-shirt. 
The link I posted above is THE best widescreen g-sync gaming monitor on the market at the moment. 

With G-Sync, do you just set your framerate at unlimited?

On 7/16/2020 at 1:11 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Sorry for necroing this post but I was interested to hear more about the LG 38" monitor Ian mentioned .

I have some questions on this monitor:

How is G-synch enabled? Is this enabled thru NCP or Nvdia Inspector via the V-synch option, not in P3D settings directly?

Also, I believe this monitor is capable of 30Hz but I think thats only available via HDMI and not Displayport. Is that going to matter much?

@Ian- if you have a few minutes could you explain your set up with this monitor even though you are running X-plane and not P3D.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

31 minutes ago, aldridgem said:

Sorry for necroing this post but I was interested to hear more about the LG 38" monitor Ian mentioned .

I have some questions on this monitor:

How is G-synch enabled? Is this enabled thru NCP or Nvdia Inspector via the V-synch option, not in P3D settings directly?

Also, I believe this monitor is capable of 30Hz but I think thats only available via HDMI and not Displayport. Is that going to matter much?

@Ian- if you have a few minutes could you explain your set up with this monitor even though you are running X-plane and not P3D.

I am actually running MSFS with in now using G-Sync.

I lock the frame only because the frame pacing in MSFS is terrible. And it is not exclusive full screen, so, the game uses flip sequential. Using Special K software I overrode that and used flip discard and applied  more advanced frame pacing magic. This then treats the windows as if it was exclusive full screen (which G-Sync loves). So, G-Sync completely smoothes the game out. 

PS in X-plane, it is all ready exclusive full screen, so, G-Sync works by default. It makes a hell of a difference too. Yo do not have to lock the frames in X-Plane vulkan. It is by far THE smoothest sim I've ever used. 

PS you do NOT need 30hz. When using g-sync, you do not need to lock to a specific number. The screen is dynamic. You could lock at 37 FPS if you liked or 49. It wouldn't matter. I personally lock at 60FPS in MSFS using a 3090. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 5:58 AM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

And if anything, 30hz is headache inducing. The higher the better. Even for flightsim. 

Waleed, don't fall for this it's patently untrue at least for most normal people.  This is why Ray and myself recommended looking at screens capable of 30hz, or GSYNC is fine too.   And many others here w/ the very highest end hardware do the same--vsync to 30Hz.  It's efficient, and you must know it's very hard to maintain more than 30 in all possible scenarios in MSFS or P3D, no matter what hardware you have.  Back in the days of CRT monitors 30Hz refresh was dreadful, and certainly where mouse lag comes into play in a highly competitive first person shooter, a faster screen rate and frame rate will matter--this is just simply not the case w/ flight simulators.  But w/ modern LCD/LED screens 30Hz is not detectable by most users.  I'm sure if you really were bent on noticing something, anything, you might pick out something.  Moreover, in a double-blinded experiment I would bet $$ no one could tell the difference between a liquid smooth fps of 30, and one at 35 or 40.  The operative part:  liquid smooth, stutter-free.  This is what we're after.  Of course the higher you set that, the more you will need to keep sliders adjusted so you don't need to stop and adjust in mid-flight.  An exception apparently comes if you are using TrackIR where it will matter to have a higher screen refresh and presumably frame rate.  

Edited by Noel
Sugar coating the original post

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

16 minutes ago, Noel said:

Stop this BS claim would you?  No headaches, no eyestrain, for myself and many others.  This 'advice' is tailored to YOUR particular issues.  The problem with this is when you direct people towards this they miss out on the most efficient method to deliver smooth performance to those w/ even high end systems like the OP's, and that is as Ray suggested, finding a screen which you can vsync to 30.  Presumably GSYNC lets you do this as well so fine on that if that is true.  And RTSS DOES NOT deliver the same result.  Smooth sure, but the main thread remains hammered w/ that and does not when you vsycn to 30Hz.

Then your claim is BS I’m afraid because the main thread does not remain hammered using RTSS. It fluctuates between 70-85%. 

Again, I implore anyone using trackIR to lock at 30hz and tell me it’s good. Probably some will but the majority won’t. It’s all about opinions. 

Also,  you DON’T need to lock to 30hz with G-Sync. The name is a giveaway. The FPS are synced to the monitors refresh rate. Hence the reason it’s a MASSIVE help. Locking at what’s achievable (say 40-60) by your system with RTSS keeps the main core running at around 70-85% most of the time. (Just because it doesn’t for YOU, the problem is when you’re directing people to use crappy 30hz when they could be enjoying 40-60hz, which in terms of what is displayed on the screen, is much better!, if it wasn’t they wouldn’t bother making it, would they?) 

Anyways, thanks for the  irate response, rather than being polite and open to debate. That’s another user on the blacklist. 

Sounds good, let's ignore each other, done already.

Edited by Noel
Re-addressed above

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X