Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Amazing lightweight RC airliners

Just fab:

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I've seen some of those before - they fly in such a scale manner. :cool: Outdoor RC models, even large ones do not fly at a "scale" speed, they always seem to be going too fast. These helium filled? indoor models have an optical illusion so they appear to perform just like the full size as viewed by a planespotter some distance away.

Hard to describe, but I hope you get what I mean! :wacko:

• Upvote 4

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

The flying of those indoor aircraft all together reminds me of an airforceproud video...

10 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Outdoor RC models, even large ones do not fly at a "scale" speed, they always seem to be going too fast.

Completely agree. Way too fast for the scale and the control inputs have an unrealistically large effect on attitude and roll compared to the full-sized real aircraft. I understand the reasons why, but it doesn't look right.
The indoor ones look a bit more realistic.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

11 hours ago, HighBypass said:

These helium filled?

Nope, just extremely light construction and components.

Edited by neumanix
  • Like 1

Wow! These sure are some amazing models...

Browsing on from there I found this one

and even better - he also flys that thing outdoors 🙂

Cheers

Mallard

• Like 1

Now those are really cool! Definitely look more realistic flying. I went to a R/C air show years ago and someone had a 200” wingspan 6 engine B36. That thing was so fast and responsive in flight it almost looked stupid! 

Edited by Rbass

Those are really cool, would they be too light weight to fly outside in anything other than perfectly calm conditions?  I’ve always thought about getting into RC flying but the typical outdoor ones are fast and frankly a bit terrifying looking (ie I’m terrified I’d crash my expensive toy into the ground)

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

On 7/2/2020 at 11:27 PM, HighBypass said:

I've seen some of those before - they fly in such a scale manner. :cool: Outdoor RC models, even large ones do not fly at a "scale" speed, they always seem to be going too fast. These helium filled? indoor models have an optical illusion so they appear to perform just like the full size as viewed by a planespotter some distance away.

Hard to describe, but I hope you get what I mean! :wacko:

Exactly my thoughts before I read your post. I used to build the outdoor RC with the 0.40 size two stroke motors and they are way too heavy for their scale, therefore they fly really clumsy . Kind of like the old saying 'with a big enough engine you can make a barn door fly'. 

These things look and behave as they are supposed to. If I was to take this hobby up again this is the direction I would go 😎

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

4 hours ago, regis9 said:

Those are really cool, would they be too light weight to fly outside in anything other than perfectly calm conditions?  I’ve always thought about getting into RC flying but the typical outdoor ones are fast and frankly a bit terrifying looking (ie I’m terrified I’d crash my expensive toy into the ground)

If you want an RC aeroplane which is dirt cheap which can withstand crashes with little-to-no chance of taking any damage, and which comes ready to go, including the radio, then this one is good fun. I have one of these and they easy to fly with enough of a power to weight ratio to let you even stick a tiny camera on them. It has a gyro-stabiliser built into it, which means it will self-right and limit its rate of roll in turns in order to keep from going out of control, so you would have to be really ham-fisted to crash it. It will fly for about 20 minutes on a charge and is slow enough not to scare anyone, even if they have literally never flown and RC aeroplane before. You don't even need to fit the wheels, you can hand launch it and belly land it on grass no problem. It flies a little better if you add a tiny bit of weight to the nose with a blob of blutack about the size of a penny or similar. Here's a video of someone flying one. Keep in mind that although it is called the Predator, it is in fact a model of an MQ9 Reaper and not an MQ1 Predator. So for less than 30 quid you can go RC flying with something which will not scare you at all, because even if you crash it, it is unlikely to take any damage.

If you want to build one yourself, try something such as this. With a price-tag like that, it wouldn't break your heart to crash it, although the thing to bear in mind with RC aeroplanes is, as with motorbikes, it is not a question of if you crash one, it is when, so those EPP park flyers such as the Predator drone model I linked to above are ideal for removing that concern; not only are they so cheap that you'd hardly be bothered if you crashed it anyway, but as it is, they laugh at crashes, rarely no damage at all from even the worst arrival with mother earth that you could make, and even if they do take damage, they can easily be repaired with a dab of superglue.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks Chock, those are pretty cool and cheap even when converted to $CDN.  I’ll have to take a look.  

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

A shame everything over 250 grams has to be registered with the CAA, although at 88 grams that MQ9/1 Reapertor is well in! :cool: Enough wiggle room to put some scale Hellfires on it LOL.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)