Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Sequestered!

A funny thing happened on the way to staying home all day, every day.  I discovered I like it!

I arise about 6:00AM and after morning ablutions get  a cup of coffee and go into the living room where my wife has her cup of coffee and bowl of cereal.  This is our 'talk' time.  Usually she talks and I listen and nod my head.  It satisfies her and I find I like it.  It's our together time for about an hour and a half or so.

Then it's time for me to make breakfast.  Betty doesn't like a big breakfast like I do so I'm on my own here.  Usually a half lemon squeezed into glass half full of vegetable juice, a fruit bowl made up of half an apple chopped up, a small orange peeled and segmented, and a half dozen or so grapes.  A half slice of buttered toast, a soft scrambled egg, and half a sausage patty.  And don't forget a pot of Lapsang Souchon tea.

I take my breakfast to my computer desk where I slowly eat it while playing solitaire, hearts, free cell, and spider solitaire.  Several years ago I read that every game of FreeCell is winnable.  So I set out to win every game I play and I haven't lost yet.  Sometimes I have to save it and come back the next day but I have won every game I've played.

Then I check my e-mail.  I usually don't have much since I've become apolitical and those discussions have gone by the wayside.

After rinsing off the breakfast dishes and putting them in the dish washer I start up the computer with the simulators.  Maybe I'll fly someplace but mostly I am adding scenery and flying out to look at it, or modifying panels, or adding and test flying new aircraft and visiting forums like this one.

I take two hour lunch break so I can read a couple chapters of the latest book I am reading.  Right now it's Edna Ferber.  My hot tea has been consumed over the morning so the rest of the pot becomes my afternoon ice tea.  Lunch is a couple of Oreos.

Now Betty might come in and ask me if there's anything I want at the store.  I used to shop for myself, but since shopping is her hobby I just tell her what I need.  After 57 years of marriage she pretty well knows what I like and what I don't.

The rest of the afternoon I write.  I write up anecdotal stories of my boyhood, my Marine Corp life,  my Air Force life, my former outdoor hobbies of backpacking and fly fishing and even flying airplanes.  I have a lot to write about.  Not for publication, mind you, but for my great grandkids.  The 14 year old boy might enjoy them now and the three year old girls might at some time after they learn to read.

Now it's dinner time.  Betty and I sort of take turns cooking dinner.  Last night I cooked us up a steak,  boiled up a potato and some chopped up carrots and combined them both into mashed potatoes and carrots.  Whipped up some gravy in the steak pan and settled down to eat dinner.  Betty and I are together again but now we are watching TV.  Mostly old movies on TCM or old Westerns on Grit.  After doing the dinner dishes I return to the recliner and spent the rest of the evening watching movies and/or sleeping.  I usually retire about midnight but sometimes I fall asleep during a commercial and don't wake up until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning.  Then I check the doors, brush my teeth, and hop into the sack.

I find life is good under sequestration.  I'm letting my hair grow long.  I quit watching the news or even caring about it.  Yep, at my age sequestering is not a problem and easy to live with.

Noel  

Edited by birdguy
Grammar and spelling
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

How true does your story ring.  We find this stay-at-home routine is very satisfying in most respects but sometimes we miss the ability to hit the road in a carefree manner.  What we do worry about is the great number of fellow citizens that are severely impacted but our current situation whose choices are much more limited.  Until then, there are always submissions to the AVSIM Library to process, planning on the next leg of the around-the-world flight in my trusty PMDG C-118 (currently RON at Aviano AB, Italy, awaiting clearance to Queen Alia International, Jordan), flying the leg and in general enjoying each other and the occasional visit from our close family (socially distancing, of course).

Jim Driskell 

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

LOL, I'm pretty much a hermit anyway. The only real change for me i putting on a mask to go to the grocery store.

Sue

• Like 2

Someone with a sense of humor recently speculated about Osama Bin Laden :  Having been cooped-up in a compound he could not leave at all for three years or more, plus three wives at his side all the time;  well,  perhaps he called the Navy Seals himself😏

Edited by overspeed3
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Yep, He died with smiles on their faces!

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

3 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

LOL, I'm pretty much a hermit anyway. The only real change for me i putting on a mask to go to the grocery store.

Sue

Ditto. Altho I go to office in home every day for work but other that the mask thing, this whole thing hasn't changed my lifestyle at all.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yea, I almost dread going out anymore. I go to my outdoor track at my church and walk about three miles a few times a week and find it depressing sometimes the way people don't make eye contact and seem self absorbed. I have a hard time passing folks without some kind of courteous acknowledge and feel slighted if not returned. Hold over from military courtesy I suppose. I spend the rest of the day at home unless I have things to get done and I m fine with that. Heavy traffic, crowds and lines is just not my forte pandemic or not.

Noel, you're smart to stay off the news. I watch too much and they have me wondering if we still have a country or not. Press makes a lot of money keeping folks upset so they'll keep watching.

• Like 2

Vic green

16 hours ago, birdguy said:

...Usually she talks and I listen and nod my head.  It satisfies her and I find I like it.  ..

That made me laugh right there! (29 years married here..no idea why she puts up with me.. :happy:)

10 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

..and find it depressing sometimes the way people don't make eye contact and seem self absorbed. I have a hard time passing folks without some kind of courteous acknowledge and feel slighted if not returned...

I find the opposite in my locality which is a small village in the countryside of north west England. When I've gone out for a walk, I've been met with a cheery smile to my hello from strangers.... from the opposite side of the road of course! :cool:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

..and find it depressing sometimes the way people don't make eye contact and seem self absorbed. I have a hard time passing folks without some kind of courteous acknowledge and feel slighted if not returned...

Due to feet problems I don't walk anymore.  I have an exercise bike that I put 30 minutes a day on.  But when I used to walk the people I met on the bike path were friendly and we always exchanged morning or afternoon greetings.  Sometimes I'd miss my walk but my wife would go out and people would inquire about me.  We are a friendly little city.   I knew most of the supermarket cashiers and we always exchanged greetings on a first name basis before coronavirus and sequestration.

Noel 

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Miss my kids and grandkids the most.  Otherwise, I can deal with it.

Stan

5 hours ago, HighBypass said:

That made me laugh right there! (29 years married here..no idea why she puts up with me.. :happy:)

I find the opposite in my locality which is a small village in the countryside of north west England. When I've gone out for a walk, I've been met with a cheery smile to my hello from strangers.... from the opposite side of the road of course! :cool:

Yea, I guess I tend to focus on the negative too much. There are people who are courteous.

Vic green

I liked it too, it was 48 days home with the kids towards the end it was a new routine, but then we had to go back to work and the kids back to school and life got really busy once again

Matthew Kane