Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

July 2nd, 2020 - Development/Insider Update

11 hours ago, Kopteeni said:

Lightning is a bit too much, cartoonish.

+1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

11 hours ago, Kopteeni said:

Lightning is a bit too much, cartoonish.

Agreed, and I’ve said this before. Their implementation of lightening looks rather slow-motion and laggy. It needs to be made more instantaneous and short-bursts type. 

Just now, FAZZ3 said:

Agreed, and I’ve said this before. Their implementation of lightening looks rather slow-motion and laggy. It needs to be made more instantaneous and short-bursts type. 

I'd say that they dont want to simulate a lightning as such but the way the lightning is perceived by the eye. The lagging is the short persistence of vision of the retina. Its like the flare effect, an artifact.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

37 minutes ago, FAZZ3 said:

Thanks, as have I. Numerous times. That 2nd video is once again a culmination of all the bad lightning effects - the cloud and thunderstorm lightning, as some had speculated, do not seem to get any shorter than this. They look like that all the time, that's the default behavior.

Even more and even so much worse from an aviation POV and for a FLIGHT sim, the approach light sequenced flashes once again are an utter disappointment. Just as you say, those flashes should be short bursts. No fading whatsoever. I've even elaborated on this topic with a video how they should look like, but no one seems to care. And since we're closing into Beta, I'm pretty sure this failure will make it into RTM/RTW.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FAZZ3 said:

Hands down my favorite picture from this weeks update. You can really feel the fear for the weather pilots may feel when taking-off in these thunderstorms. 

This is my favorite.  Bush flying is going to be SOOOOO wonderful!

1.png

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Agree on the lighning.

Also, I hope we can edit the lead-in lights from the HIALS... they are really short flashes normally, a millisecond - looks unrealistic in the video 😞

Fantastic clouds, except you want cool-looking featherlike cirrus clouds, those are obviously not modeled in FS2020.

I'm still looking so forward to the sim 🙂 

It occurred to me while seeing these updates over the past few weeks that there didn't seem to be any provision made for being able to examine a SID, or STAR plate, having watched the Feature discovery episode: 'Episode 8: IFR', I think it would be advantageous to all of us virtual pilots if a drawing/image/plate of the SID departure, or STAR arrival route could be seen as a tooltip window that would appear, when you hover your mouse cursor over the name of the SID or STAR from the drop down list in the Flight Planning Window.
Otherwise, there will only be the technical name/label of the SID or STAR for us to choose from, and most of us won't have access to external data for those kind of Jeppesen/Aerad plates/little maps?
I use the Autodesk Fusion 360 3D drawing program, and the tooltips in that show little visual descriptions or images of how a particular tool will work.
Maybe Asobo/Microsoft could make that sort of helpful thing work?🙂

Edited by seamaster55

5 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Could be, Heaven preserve us to have to tweak shaders !

In any case, besides the clouds themselves, the cloud front advancing close to the ground looks like out of a horror movie à la The Mummy 😱.  I looked closely but no! I didn't see Lionel's face in the clouds.

Thanks for the laugh, I wonder why Lionel has become such an iconic character. For all I know he only featured in one of the feature discovery episodes. Anyways, all the best to you Lionel if you´re reading this!

Edited by Kopteeni

6 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Thank God the website name displayed here is your error!!

Lol, yes, that was a funny typo. Can't edit it anymore though.

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

5 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I'd say that they dont want to simulate a lightning as such but the way the lightning is perceived by the eye. The lagging is the short persistence of vision of the retina. Its like the flare effect, an artifact.

I'm hoping that it's not all fork lightning as here in the UK we quite often just get flashes of lighning rather than the dramatic stuff we're seeing so far. 🙂

Although it is very meanacing! It basically shouts 'Don't fly here!' he he

Flying since the early days of 386’s! 😀 Web developer, sailor, nerd. Contributor to the G36 Improvement Project

PC Specs: Intel i9-9900K on a Aorus Z390 // Pro Wifi motherboard // 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, 2x16, 3200mhz DDR4 // RTX3070 Gigabyte, Eagle OC 8GB // WD Blue SN550 (2400) NVMe SSD // 2x LG QHD Monitors, (27QN600) 

Discord Username: CaptMatto#7935

The Flightaware stuff is interesting, but am really wondering how it will be implemented. All the screenshots I've seen of AI (except for the NEO) are in generic liveries. I've never used default traffic anyway, the models aren't really optimized for AI, and better alternatives are freely available with up-to-date schedules.

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

12 hours ago, FAZZ3 said:

buH8MlH.jpg

Hands down my favorite picture from this weeks update. You can really feel the fear for the weather pilots may feel when taking-off in these thunderstorms. 

If you feel fear when taking off into weather, you're doing it wrong ..

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda