Sign in to follow this  
AKflightsimmer

.OSM data and X-Plane Custom Scenery

Hello All, I have recently been finding some very good back country air strips to download and add to the custom scenery file in x-plane 11. This all goes fine as usual, download the zip file, extract, check the file then place it into the custom scenery file in x-plane and fly. My problem stems from the fact that a lot of these new sceneries include a .OSM file also to install somewhere in x-plane to make the scenery look even better. The files usually look like this after downloading and extracting. ( +48-123_water.osm etc , 

it can also be for land or airports instead of the water example.)  I have looked in every file in x-plane for .osm files and don't find any. All I can fine with tile designators like the  +48-123 or other tile areas are files that are .dsf files.  I have looked all over the forums but can not find an explanation for placement of the .osm files. Are they suppose to replace the .dsf files in the scenery folders, or do they go somewhere else in x-plane. Can someone here explain the steps I need to take to install the .osm files correctly. I understand that they represent a particular tile scenery area from the +48-123 designator, just don't know how or where to install them and get them to show up and work.  I really would appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks so Much in advance.   😌

.osm files are patch files created by josm, you can use them in combination with Ortho4XP to add lakes and tune the terrain mesh height.

AutoATC Developer

To insert OSM data into the X-Plane you have to convert them using World2Xplane

Keep in mind - OSM data looks really good only with the satellite images.

Tutorial:

Edited by OSM

45 minutes ago, OSM said:

To insert OSM data into the X-Plane you have to convert them using World2Xplane

You add them to the Patch folder of Ortho4XP when generating an Ortho photo tile

World2Xplane does not modify terrain mesh afaik, so won't flatten fields or add hills to the mesh or create water.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

These look like Ortho4XP files, so I'd suggest mSpark's answer above. 

• Like 1

Thank You All for your insight!, I will watch and save the videos and get started understanding what I have to do so that I can convert and or insert the .osm data into the proper folder in X-plane if I feel the files are needed, some probably make the sim better and some probably not so much.  ( I had never heard of World2Xplane before ),  These past 2 years have been quite a learning experience    with X-plane, and every day I learn something new. Thanks Again for this information. I might have youtubed for another couple years without running onto the videos you guys recommend. Your help is Greatly appreciated!!  I am using  yOrtho4XP_overlays_HDv4 by alpilotX for my base mesh layer and I guess once I have an .osm file it must need to be converted to a .dsf as you stated, and then installed into that folder under the proper location to replace the original tile. Only thing is since most all my flying is Backcountry and low and slow, maybe some of these photo tiles don't really look that good close to the ground. I know that at 5000 ft and higher they look grand but close to the terrain not so much.  Thanks again for pointing me into the right direction to start understanding all this.  😊 

9 minutes ago, AKflightsimmer said:

Only thing is since most all my flying is Backcountry and low and slow, maybe some of these photo tiles don't really look that good close to the ground.

AutoATC Developer