Sign in to follow this  
newtie

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 in V5?

Hi-

I've manually added this to [TERRAIN] in my .cfg file. I have High Res Textures checked in P3D and am using ORBX Oregon.

VRAM does not change (using Shift + Z) when using this edit which leads me to believe that it's no longer valid?

Thanks,

Mark

I was using it, but I turned it off now. It was doubling my vram usage from 5-7gb to 10-12gb. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

Use it if you want but it will crash in most heavey situations stick with 9.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

I reverted to =9 because =10 was nearly pushing my card to crash...I was getting about 9.5/10 with the tweak, dropping it down to =9 still gives me that crisp look but with my VRAM typically never exceeding 8.5. So I found the happy medium, try out =9 and see how you like it!

Jay

| PPL ASEL |
| i9-9900k | MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio 24Gb | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200Mhz | 32' 4K HDR | Windows 11

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It's still valid and it should increase your load times also ... still working for me (will exceed 12GB VRAM).  Do you have dynamic texture streaming enabled?  If your load times are unchanged with this setting, they you might want to check your .cfg, make sure you don't have two entries or entry in wrong section.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob-

The single entry is there as shown, but V5 for some reason does not see it. I also have hi res textures enabled (as shown) so I don't know what the deal is. I have a 1080ti 11GB card so I'm covered there.

Cfg Entry

The only other thing would be the use of SimStarter. I'm wondering if SS sees manual entries correctly in the way it does things. I'll check over at Aerosoft and see what they say about this.

Cheers,

Mark

I use this tweak only with MegaSceneryEarth.

But I observe a funny effect. The textures under the plane begin to blur, while the textures in the distance can be seen very clearly. But this is visible only from the outside.

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

I'm using ORBX Oregon right now.

If I slide the terrain resolution slider to the right, the textures do sharpen up and VRAM does rise, a little (3.5/9.2)

3 hours ago, newtie said:

Hi Rob-

The single entry is there as shown, but V5 for some reason does not see it. I also have hi res textures enabled (as shown) so I don't know what the deal is. I have a 1080ti 11GB card so I'm covered there.

Cfg Entry

The only other thing would be the use of SimStarter. I'm wondering if SS sees manual entries correctly in the way it does things. I'll check over at Aerosoft and see what they say about this.

Cheers,

Mark

If your using sim starter and you change your main config then you need to import it into Sim startrter Beware you will lose any custom configs that you have created in SS. It better to make changes to the config in SS.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

For some reason I though this setting got made redundent when they introduced the HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURES option within the sim itself.

My memory fails me - does the use of HIGH RESOLUTION TEXTURES from within the sim =  TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 or are these two completely separate settings?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

6 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

If you have High Resolution Textures checked in P3D UI, then there is no need for TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9.

Hmm, so with that being checked in the UI its the same thing as having TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9.?

I have that checked in the UI and also have TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 entered in my CFG. Should I delete that entry then? I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with having it entered in my CFG and it checked in the UI. How come P3D doesn't manually enter that tweak in the cfg once someones selects it in the UI? 

Thanks as always for your helpful insight Rob, Let me know if I should remove it from my CFG

Cheerrs 😄

Jay

| PPL ASEL |
| i9-9900k | MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio 24Gb | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200Mhz | 32' 4K HDR | Windows 11

12 hours ago, BMW969 said:

I use this tweak only with MegaSceneryEarth.

But I observe a funny effect. The textures under the plane begin to blur, while the textures in the distance can be seen very clearly. But this is visible only from the outside.

I thought I was the only one!!! I ended up reinstalling the whole p3d because didn’t find the cause

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU