Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Forgotten performance tweak for P3dv5

I recently REMEMBERED a possible performance tweak that I read about years ago...that just might apply to P3d...probably all versions!  I'm running V5 and last week I applied this so-called "tweak" and since then it seems my sim has run without a crash, or a pause that made me shut the sim down.

What is it?  It's Anti-Virus "specific EXCLUSIONS".   I'm running ESET NOD 32 Anti-Virus, and since I don't know exactly when it scans or affects CPU performance, I applied "exclusions" to

• My entire P3dv5 folder (It's on its own SSD). 
  • Then I applied an exclusion to my HiFi folder where Active Sky resides. 
  • Then I applied an exclusion to the folder that holds my FFTF program. 
  • Lastly, whether I needed it or not, I applied an exclusion to my ORBX folder and my ORBX Library folder.

I really don't feel that these exclusions make my computer any more susceptible to a virus....since my most important programs and folders remain under the NOD 32 umbrella.  Time will tell if this "exclusionary tactic" has seriously improved the performance of P3d.  However, what do I have to lose?

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I’m not sure why you classify this as a forgotten tweak. I think this has been standard for years and most people do it? 

• Like 3

I had forgotten about this tweak so thank you for reminding me. 

Adrian

Can't classify this as a tweak but a worthy reminder anyway to those who might not be in the know.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the reminder Stan. I did it for V4 but forgot to do it for V5.

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

It might be just above running Makerunways.exe (very helpful if running AI or RASSPro) Latest Makerunways.exe contains a tool from Lorbi. You run it after adding a new airport(s).

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

11 hours ago, Evros said:

Can't classify this as a tweak but a worthy reminder anyway to those who might not be in the know.

You're right.  Not really a "tweak"....but just a smart thing to do.  I thought I'd just remind some simmers on this forum.

Stan

• Like 2

It reminded me, to check and make sure my v5 folders were excluded. 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB