Sign in to follow this  
riccardo74

How to completely get over the AA malfunction?

Hello everyone,

I would like your opinion on a highly debated topic, for years now, namely the AA of P3D. In particular I am referring to version 4. I can't understand why there is no way to get rid of it completely. I did several tests and came to the conclusion that it's impossible to completely eliminate it.

For example, if we are positioned on any runway, I see the jagged line at the end of the runway and also the yellow taxiway line get jagged and flickering, sometime even the border of the asphalt with the grass.

I did two trials, the first one using inspector with AA settings and the second one choosing in Inspector to let the application doing the job:

First attemp in Inspector:

Anti Alising Mode - Override application settings

Anti Alising Settings - 4xS

Anti Alising Transparency Super Sampling - 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

Inside P3Dv4 I set FXAA to off, AA to 4xSSAA and Anisotropic Filtering 16x

Result: the lines are still jagged at the end of the runway and the result don't change even if you set AA settings to 8xS and Trasnparency 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling, maybe a lower fps, but not so much.

Second attemp in Inspector:

Anti Alising Mode - Application controlled

Anti Alising Settings - Application controlled/Off

Anti Alising Transparency Super Sampling - Off/Multisampling

Inside P3Dv4 I set FXAA to off, AA to 4xSSAA and Anisotropic Filtering 16x

Result: the lines are still jagged at the end of the runway, same as above and the result don't change even if you set AA settings to 8xSSAA inside P3D, even here maybe a lower fps, but not so much.

In addition, I always find an annoying problem of shimmering or flickering building when airborne, which for example in X-Plane is not known at all.

So I wonder is there a way to solve this annoying problem (suppose related to old P3D/FSX graphic engine) or do we have to live with it waiting for it to be eliminated with upcoming MSFS2020?

Many thanks in advance for your appreciated opinions.

• Upvote 1

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

A next gen GFX card probably, I know I cannot max AA out on mine (GTX 1070Ti) but perhaps these threads will help.

One thing to note when using Sparse Grid AA is that a matched MSAA value needs to be set in the app.

For example if using 4 x SGSSAA within NVidia Inspector, then P3D should be set to 4 x MSAA, this is because SGSSAA needs the matched MSAA values to optomise the SGSSAA output, you can vary though as shown in the threads.

DSR is also pretty good to use as it will resize/resample and result in a smoother less jaggy display, the smoothness of which can be controlled via the Nvidia Control Panel, the extra screen size though makes it even harder on the GPU for AA.

You'll need to monitor the GPU use and tune values so as to not max out and subesquently kill the frame rates.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Thanks Rogen,

I don't love DSR so will try to read the second thread.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

How big is your monitor, and what resolution do you run?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi Rhett, my monitor is 27 inch and run at resolution 1920x1080.

Riccardo

I can't tell from your description what it is you are trying to get rid of. Are you trying to get rid of P3D's native anti-alisaing so you can manage it on the video card, are you just trying to get better anti-aliasing, or some other variant of those two things? Your description seems to suggest you are trying to get better anti-aliasing. You no doubt need some anti-aliasing running a 27" screen at 1080p. You mention shimmering, which I think is associated with Transparency AA and filtering. My understanding is that these things are independent of the AA setting.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Hi Mark I'll try to describe what I see trough the cockpit glass: flickering lines and buildings, especially white runway and yellow taxiway lines when I am on the ground. While airbone and overfly a city o country all buildings are flickering, very annoying situation. I tried all settings possible inside p3d and via Nvidia Inspector but quite nothing change. 

Just to says in xp11 all is perfect and there is no flickering at all, and all the filter inside the game works perfectly. And I can do without inspector when using xp.

On the other side it seems in p3d the filter are useless.

Now I'm using inside p3d 4xMSAA and inside inspector 4xSGSS but get a lot of fliclering anyway.

Edited by riccardo74

Riccardo