Sign in to follow this  
Cgaming365

BIKF Keflavik Airport Weird Shadows

Those images suggest to me that you might have some duplicate AFCAD files for BIKF in your system. Have you ever installed or uninstalled any other versions of BIKF?

Bill

I just fixed the problem. I had an addon called SODE that wasn't configured correctly and made those weird shadows. I uninstalled the program and the shadows dissapeared. Thank you for trying to help.

-C

Glad you got it sorted and thank you for letting us know what caused it. I did not realise an incorrectly configured SODE could have that sort of effect on scenery but I will admit that SODE remains a bit of a mystery to me!

Bill

I've got the similar problem with BIKF and thought it might be the SOTA problem, so I uninstalled SOTA but that didn't solve my problem.  Here's what I see when I switch to BIKF:

Any ideas?

BIKF.thumb.jpg.68120fd322c162e97ab4288665984d74.jpg

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Have you installed a terrain mesh? Or is that an add-on BIKF? It looks like the airport elevation hasn't been matched to the surrounding mesh, or vice versa. Usually happens with freeware scenery IMHO..

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

There is plenty of potential for issues like this to occur in Iceland when you consider that there are two payware products which comprehensively cover the country (Aerosoft Iceland X and FTXOpenLC Europe) as well as Aerosoft Keflavik X. In addition to freeware scenery for BIKF, there are at least 2 freeware scenery addons which also comprehensively cover Iceland and include mesh, landclass, airports etc and then there also is the Orbx Global freeware demo of Iceland!

I use the two Aerosoft products for Iceland but, as I also have FTXOpenLC Europe on my system, I have deactivated the parts of OpenLC Europe related to Iceland to avoid conflicts.

Any of these addons  can place elevation or AFCAD files in FSX which can cause conflicts and sometimes they can be left behind even if an addon is uninstalled. Occasionally these files can be found in folders where you might not expect them, a common one being scenery\world\scenery folder. Elevation files usually contain the letters ALT so it may be worth doing a search of your FSX folder for BIKF files and see if any include ALT in their titles. You can then try deactivating them by changing the BGL suffix to something like OFF (do NOT delete the file!) and see if that resolves the issue.

Duplicate AFCAD files can be a little trickier to identify and I use a payware utility called Airport Facilitator X to find them although I think there might be a freeware utility available somewhere which also does this. AFCAD files can have different variations in their titles but commonly include the letters ADE, ADEX, AFX, APX etc and again if you find what appears to be duplicates of any of these for BIKF try renaming them.

Bill

Edited by scianoir
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Hi and scianoir.  I do have a Ultimate Terrain USA Europe and FSGenises installed as well as freeware version of BIKF which I installed after having problems with the FSX-SE version of BIKF.  I'm going to delete the freeware version and take a look at the other installed software.  BIRK doesn't have any problems and none of the other destinations seem to have problems, only BIKF. 

Maybe it's the Keflavik curse.  Many years ago I was hoping around Europe on leave with a friend.  We got a hop from Torrejón, Spain to Majorca where we spend a few days.  While there we ran into some very attractive Icelandic girls who seemed happy to share our Champagne at a party we were hosting.  One freely admitted that she didn't like American Service men and I could never understand why until I realized that the US had built BIKF and had had a presence in Iceland for many years.  She must of had a bad experience with someone so she took it out on me and I guess I've been cursed ever since.  Keflavik looked normal when we landed there a couple of years ago but the curse still exists in my FSX-SE install.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Jim. My only visit to Iceland was in March a couple of years ago and the country was still in the grip of winter. As you know BIKF has two runways at right angles to each other which in theory means there can’t be more than 45 degrees of crosswind. Nevertheless despite this the 757 was crabbing so much on approach that I could clearly see the runway ahead from my window seat behind the wing. However a smooth textbook landing followed and it was only when I was almost blown over as we walked to the airport car park that I realised just how strong the wind had been. Clearly just another day at the office for Icelandair pilots at their windy home base!
Iceland (though expensive) is a stunning and beautiful country with lots of things that are just amazing and, even with winter weather and blowing snow, was well worth visiting. And yes, the girls (from a distance of course) seemed stunning too!

Bill

• Like 2

I just did a quick flight out of BIKF where I have UTX Europe 2.0 coverage and FS Global 2010 mesh. The airport was correctly represented and nearby Reykjavik looked good. BIKF isn't an airport that's given any special treatment by UTX Euro 2 and I could see where my HD Airports addon was enhancing the buildings - also looked good.

Thanks for the note.  It turns out that I don't have Ultimate Terrain USA Europe and FSGenises installed.  My notes were from a previous FSX install.  I've installed TOPSIM for North America but haven't installed anything for Europe in my FSX-SE version.  Since BIFK seems to be the only problem, I guess I'll live with it for the time being.

We were in Iceland in late spring of 2017.  The weather was crappy, rain and low overcast not unlike what we experience here in the Northwest but I'm glad we had a chance to see a little of Iceland.