Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Is there a way to change 'Prepar3D v5 Add-ons' location?

The default location is on my C:\ Drive and that's where my Windows drive resides on. I only have a 128GB SSD and I have no space. Is there a way to change the location of this folder to another drive?

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Is a symbolic link the best method and if so care to walk me on how to do this?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

30 minutes ago, Gumerson said:

You can create a symbolic link

I tried creating symbolic links with W10 Home (for the Package Cache Folder) and Windows kept deleting it....

@captain420 there are youtube videos / tutorials helping you out with the creation of symbolic links (you need a command prompt command line). Basicaly what you do is to copy the entire Addon Folder to another location then tell Windows to create a Link in the ORG location pointing to the new location (like a desktop shortcut....). Every program that tries to use the original folder will be sent towards the new Folder and location. Unfortunately it did not work on my end (tried another Folder though). Win created the link and it always keept dissapearing.

Good luck with that endeavour.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

hmm, seems like the symbolic link isn't the best solution then since you're saying it keeps deleting it.

• Like 1

The add-ons folder:

C:\Users\[you]\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons

Need only contain simple .XML files, there's no actual need to place the data files in there too.

In each add-on.XML file we find the <Path> statements.

Move the addon data folders to where they can go and change the paths in the add-on.xml files.

Example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<SimBase.Document id="add-on" version="4,0" Type="AddOnXml">
  <Addon.Name>My Aircraft</Addon.Name>
  <Addon.Description>My Aircraft Addons</Addon.Description>
  <Addon.Component>
    <Category>SimObjects</Category>
    <Path>D:\MyAircraft</Path>
  </Addon.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

This method might be an option during certain addon installations.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

30 minutes ago, SteveW said:

The add-ons folder:

Need only contain simple .XML files, there's no actual need to place the data files in there too.

Move the addon data folders to where they can go and change the paths in the add-on.xml files.

Example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <Addon.Component>
  </Addon.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Exactly how I’ve got mine. My Add-ons folders in Documents just contain the XMLs. The actual add-ons are stored in another folder on another drive

• Like 1

You could also add a new discovery path. Any add-on.xml placed in such folder will be picked up by P3D in the same automatic way as in your Prepar3D v5 Add-ons-location.

Go to X:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 and open the add-ons.cfg. Add the following:

[DiscoveryPath.0]
PATH=X:\YourFolder\Prepar3D Add-ons
TITLE=Prepar3D Add-ons
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

The number 0 needs most likely to be changed to 1 if you already have an ORBX library.

• Like 3

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

You just need to choose where your add-ons get installed and not just hit the "next" button when installing stuff.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Using Lorby addon organiser, I have all, nearly all of my addons installed to h:\P3D Addons. 

I don’t even have the xml files in my documents, you can set watch folders in Lorby AO and it will pick up addons with xml’s where ever you set it.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

Can I have 2 ORBX libraries on 2 different disks?

My current SSD where the ORBX Library resides is almost full. I'd like to add a couple of ORBX TE regions but install them on a different SSD.

Did anybody try to do that?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, captain420 said:

hmm, seems like the symbolic link isn't the best solution then since you're saying it keeps deleting it.

They usually work very well. Nothing to it. These links are a low level functionality of the disk operating system, and Windows uses them all the time.

1. Spec: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink
  2. Copy(!) your "Prepar3D V5 Add-ons" folder to the desired location. For the sake of the argument, let's say "F:\Prepar3D V5 Add-ons"
  3. Rename the original folder to \Prepar3D V5 Add-ons_off (you can delete it later, just not now.)
  4. Open a CMD window, preferably As Administrator (type CMD into the Windows search, right click on "Command line window", choose Run As Administrator
  5. In CMD window navigate: cd "C:\Users\<you>\Documents" (replace the <you> with your user account name)
  6. In CMD window create the link: mklink /j "Prepar3D V5 Add-ons" "F:\Prepar3D V5 Add-ons"
  7. Close CMD window: exit
  8. Done

Now it will look like the folder is still where it is by default - but the contents are on F:. When everything works to your satisfaction, delete the _off folder. 

If you want to be extra careful, create a backup using P4AO (before and after)

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

4 hours ago, SteveW said:

The add-ons folder:

Example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <Addon.Component>
  </Addon.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

That's true but how about e.g. FSLabs? It by default wants to go under the "AddOn Folder" and does not create an XML....

As a sidenote a bit off topic: I also found that also other things don't create XML's but are installed outside the SIM e.g. the CRJ Pro....

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech