Sign in to follow this  
who4ever

NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW GRAPHICS CARD

I have an AMD Radeon HD6670 1GB DDR5 that's on its last legs.  The fan whines and it seems to slow down the whole system at times.  I have 2 monitors, both with DRI and VGA inputs only (no USB, etc.)  I enjoy Flight Simulator and am excited about getting the 2020 version.  I have seen Microsoft's system requirements which to me is not all that useful because there are only 6 graphics cards listed (minimum, recommended and ideal.)  I know there are dozens of graphics cards on the market now.  Can anyone please give me a list of maybe 10 cards I should look into?  I want a nice one but I don't want to break the bank buying one.  This way I could shop for the best deals on the cards.  I appreciate your time and effort in advance.  Thanks, Dave

I would wait with a new graphics card. Both Nvidia and AMD will release new cards later this year.

5 minutes ago, who4ever said:

I have an AMD Radeon HD6670 1GB DDR5 that's on its last legs.  The fan whines and it seems to slow down the whole system at times.  I have 2 monitors, both with DRI and VGA inputs only (no USB, etc.)  I enjoy Flight Simulator and am excited about getting the 2020 version.  I have seen Microsoft's system requirements which to me is not all that useful because there are only 6 graphics cards listed (minimum, recommended and ideal.)  I know there are dozens of graphics cards on the market now.  Can anyone please give me a list of maybe 10 cards I should look into?  I want a nice one but I don't want to break the bank buying one.  This way I could shop for the best deals on the cards.  I appreciate your time and effort in advance.  Thanks, Dave

Wait for the final release. There’s no point on upgrading before the product is released. 

New hardware releases are anticipated later this year. AMD (ryzen 4000 and big Navi GPUs) and Nvidia (3000 series) are coming probably in September. Intel might also release something (rumors of a i9 10850k cpu).

Thanks, but aren't new cards released frequently?  And I would assume the newer they are, the more expensive, right?

Just now, who4ever said:

Thanks, but aren't new cards released frequently?  And I would assume the newer they are, the more expensive, right?

Not frequently, usually they release new series every two years. Within this time they release different models of the same family/series.

The thing is, new releases are coming in about 2 months. The MSFS2020 is probably being released after that. So if you buy a new GPU right now just for the sim, it would be waiting the sim without any use.

About the prices, usually they are released with similar prices of the old series. The good thing is the old series get price cuts. So, even if still want to buy one GPU of the current gen, you would pay less for the same GPU after the new gen is released.

1 hour ago, who4ever said:

Take a look at my message footer below.  I needed to make an "interim" change while I wait like you. Picked up a ASUS GTX 1070 TI Turbo 8GB on eBay for about $400.00 American. Sold my previous GTX970 4GB for $135.00.  Much improved performance overall and especially in hi density scenery areas. and for $265.00 difference how can I complain?  Gets me to a new system I am planning for subsequent to MSFS release, and I may just be able to start with this newer but now two year old card.

Yes, there is some risk involved.  But it worked famously.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

PC market is always in the move, but personally I would wait till autumn. It is officially that AMD will anounce their next generation graphics cards RDNA 2 soon (before the launch of the new consoles). Nvidia has nothing anounced officially, but the new generation is expected to come this year, rumors say September.

-Concerning the hardware requirements: Nvidia 2080 is good for 50 to 60 fps at highest or high settings on HD resolution, based on a statement of an Alpha user.

I suggest the wait for the new generation will be worth it. Perhaps they will gain 20 to 30% more performance. Now imagine you are flying a Cessna on low altitudes, but your frames will drop from 60 to 40 fps because you have activated the grass mode. That would be the 30% that you might get more with the new generation.

There is a video on bili which shows how great MSFS displays grass. Also, for example, in GTA V there are some cool graphics with grass mode, but they consume a lot resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_W1VnrBCaY

One thing to note: I bought a Ryzen 1700X on day one. But from time to time a had bluescreens, After 1 year I decided to contact AMD, received a new one and since then (2 years) I didn`t have any Bluescreens at all.

4 hours ago, bthiago said:

I would suggest the old GTX 1080 Ti and we don`t need more than that for now. Look at my photos using that Vid Card: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127298020@N06/

in 4k we do.  I have a 1080ti and there are times it's not good enough

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:59 PM, micstatic said:

in 4k we do.  I have a 1080ti and there are times it's not good enough

RTX or new AMDs are not going to do any good either.

My%20Signature.jpg

4 minutes ago, bthiago said:

RTX or new AMDs are not going to do any good either.

How do you possibly say that?  Going from 1080ti to the 3090 could potentially be a giant jump. I need a little headroom not a lot. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

15 hours ago, micstatic said:

How do you possibly say that?  Going from 1080ti to the 3090 could potentially be a giant jump. I need a little headroom not a lot. 

Is the 3090 out already? I thought we are discussing the ones that are available now. But then, if you are saying something about the future of Vid cards, so yes. go forward with 3090.

Make sure you read this too: https://www.techradar.com/news/i-wouldnt-bet-on-an-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-appearing

My%20Signature.jpg

My point is now is a very bad time to buy a graphics card