Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - Gamers vs Simmers

15 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I know what you mean Ray. 

Whenever I hear the "Reach out" thing I forward this to the perpetrator:

Love it!  😁I'd better stop now otherwise I'll have to give myself an informal warning for deviating from the topic. Over and out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 minutes ago, eslader said:

Amongst real gamers, the people who play games just to irritate other people playing the game are not called gamers. They're called griefers.

So, really, it's gonna be a confluence of simmers, gamers, and griefers. I'm only worried about the griefers. The gamers will go do their own thing and not care if we're still sitting on the ground programming an FMC while they're punching holes in the sky in a fighter. 😉

A good analysis @eslader - based on what we know so far.

I'm encouraged from the Multiplayer Feature vid that we'll be able to fly solo, in groups - was it "Shards" - he called them - where we arrange to meet up online and fly in a private group - or just go full in to the 100 nearest aircraft to us - whoever they are - Gamers/ Simmers/ Griefers.

In other words - I think they've put filters in place which will allow us to do all you describe above.

"Phew!" to say the least.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I'm not one for the likes of AirForceProud and gang.

AFP is hilarious, I love his vids. Hes totally harmless. While I appreciate that sort of messing about is not every simmers cup of tea it will be easy to avoid such servers Im sure. 

8 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I read "Math" and went no further in...

7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Precisely. It is plural, not singular.

America and the UK:  two countries separated by a common language.

Hook

• Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

5 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I'm encouraged from the Multiplayer Feature vid that we'll be able to fly solo, in groups - was it "Shards" - he called them - where we arrange to meet up online and fly in a private group

Interesting word to use.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/40451-why-servers-called-shards.html#:~:text=Quick history lesson%3A,to magically control its destiny.

Quick history lesson: MMORPG servers have been referred to as "shards" for a long time. The reason for this was the lore behind the original Ultima Online. In that game, the wizard Mondaine bound the world of Sosaria into a crystal orb in order to magically control its destiny.

Hook

Larry Hookins

It's pretty simple really: If you nearly stall the engine midflight because you forgot to reset the mixture axis after the last time you flew a week ago, if you are wearing your 10-year-old JBL headphones, and if you are using a pdf approach plate you found online while you paused the flight (and then go ahead and land on the wrong runway, anyway), you're a gamer. If you've memorized the POH, are wearing a Bose aviation headset, and have a Jeppesen subscription, then you're a simmer. 

• Like 2

Every last one of you are gamers #dealwithit

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

On 7/9/2020 at 12:20 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Over and out.

Oh dear! Now you've managed to push one of my hot buttons... 😋

It is quite literally impossible to be both "over" and "out" simultaneously.

"Over" means you are done talking and awaiting a reply.

"Out" means you are done talking and not listening for a reply.

• Like 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

12 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Roger!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

27 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Old Air Force response??  Roger, Over?? :blink:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

26 minutes ago, n4gix said:

🤣 It must be right because I’ve heard it in films. 😁 Finishing the reply with just Out might not have been that clear for the uninitiated. Or maybe it’s another difference in  comms between our two countries. 😉

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

16 hours ago, n4gix said:

Understood.

Out.

• Like 1

I don't know how much time people have spent on military radio networks, but I got stuck with it every time we went to the field, more often than I'd have liked.

While I know very well that "Roger, Wilco, Over and Out" is improper military radiotelephone procedure (RTP) I'm still amused when someone uses it.  Outside military networks, of course.

1 hour ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Understood.

Out.

"Roger, Out" is proper usage. 🙂 

However, do not say "Out" to someone of higher rank than you.  I once heard a colonel chew a guy's derriere for 10 minutes straight over the radio for saying "Out" to end the conversation instead of deferring to the higher rank.

"Roger, Over" 🙂 

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

It all depends on where you are and what you're doing and what you're being told.

Roger - means you've received the transmission. That's all. It dates back to when messages were passed in morse code - and quite often as cypher so the radio operator used 'R' to simply acknowledge receipt of the transmission without having a clue as to what the transmitted message was.

So 'Roger' is very different to 'Understood'. It's a fundamental difference that mustn't be got wrong.

Similarly, difference between Understood and Wilco.

• Upvote 1

Over and out is proper and required radio terminology at my Railroad.

I usually don't say it out of laziness, but they can write me up for not saying both at the end of my radio calls any day they want.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.