Sign in to follow this  
FgPunisher

P3Dv5 HF2 Excessive RAM usage

Hi guys,

I recently went to v5 and I was really impressed how well it is performing on my RTX 2080Ti.

Since I tried out various weather settings I am getting constantly crashes either with an error popping up saying that the application ran out of memory or it directly crashed to the desktop. I checked my system memory usage via the task manager I noticed that while my VRAM runs constantly at 7-8.5 GB, my RAM usage is incredible high. While the error happen it seems that the RAM is maxed out. After this error the Sim sometimes still runs but the majority of the textures are blacked out.

Since I am using 16 GB of Ram I never really maxed it out on other applications including VR gaming. I mean I am happy that P3d now uses more system resources but its not believable that it is so bad optimized.

As I recently changed my Nvidia driver version to the up-to-date one and never before had something similar, I assume that this could be a driver related issue. 

Maybe you guys could report something similar or you have a good idea to how to solve this problem. 

My system specs are: RTX 2080Ti, i7 8700k at 5.0GHz HT off, 16 GB RAM

The addons I used while it occurred are: FlyTampa EKCH, ASP3D, Orbx Scenery, 

It also happend at other airports that are not as taxing on my system as EKCH.

I also have to mention that I not changed my pagefile size setting so this one seems not to be the source of the issue.

Regards,

Felix 

I running the settings not maxed out. Texture resolution is set to ultra since my system could handle it even in v4.5. Anti-aliasing is set as to 2xMSAA since I am running it on a 4k Monitor and no more is needed. I mean I could even get v4.5 running with those settings so it has to be either a driver related issue or some bad optimization

Edited by FgPunisher

ok i played a bit around with the settings including scattered weather and I now got another error: "unknown software error"  0xe0434352

Turn down your textures and lower your Load radius. P3D V5 is a different beast and your setting wont be the same as V4. Even if you got 11 gigs of VRM your system will crash with extra high settings. I believe that the VRM gets fragmented which I believe cause the crashes so you really need to manage it with lowering your settings.  This has been my experience.

Edited by FreeBird(Josh)
  • Upvote 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

First of all thx for your fast replies I really appreciate it.😊

It seems that really the problem is related to either the Texture Size and or the Load Radius as it at least did not crash anymore right after start. Maybe I have to acknowledge that even v5 runs on the same core code as FSX ran. 

But its so frustrating that even with a descend system v5 runs so bad regarding the optimization. Hopefully we will see some more tested and finished contend from LM as in this stage I feel like they rushed it out due to whatever reason and let us enthusiast test their platform.

I am gonna test more and hopefully I'll find the sweetspot of my machine 🙂

Just to be clear, there is no HF3 for V5, only HF2. FYI

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

2 minutes ago, Chocorua said:

Just to be clear, there is no HF3 for V5, only HF2. FYI

Ah ok well did not noticed that HF2 is the most up-to-date version. 
So then I am running HF2 😅

10 minutes ago, FgPunisher said:

Maybe I have to acknowledge that even v5 runs on the same core code as FSX ran. 

Thats a fairy tale, an urban legend some Ignoramuses have planted.

• Upvote 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

5 minutes ago, FgPunisher said:

Yes I am running a clear install of P3d v5 HF3

There is no HF3.. surely you mean HF2.

6 minutes ago, FgPunisher said:

First of all thx for your fast replies I really appreciate it.😊

It seems that really the problem is related to either the Texture Size and or the Load Radius as it at least did not crash anymore right after start. Maybe I have to acknowledge that even v5 runs on the same core code as FSX ran. 

But its so frustrating that even with a descend system v5 runs so bad regarding the optimization. Hopefully we will see some more tested and finished contend from LM as in this stage I feel like they rushed it out due to whatever reason and let us enthusiast test their platform.

I am gonna test more and hopefully I'll find the sweetspot of my machine 🙂

V4 and V5 settings are not the same. Another issue people don't realise is that VRAM appears to be higher for DX12 in comparison with DX11 but this is not the case, what is happening is with DX11 the rendering engine / GPU could retrieve some system normal RAM instead, so if you were running out of VRAM already your computer would use your normal RAM for rendering purposes. However this would slow down your frames and on worse cases cause severe stutters here and there. 

Texture resolution set to ULTRA under 4K is really unnecessary and excessive, and at 4K it will consume LOTS OF VRAM even under V4, most likely your VRAM was exhausted as well under V4 but you would not crash.. but you would get performance penalty.

With DX12 now you see the issue.. I don't know how many times I will need to keep repeating to everyone that copying the settings from V4 to V5 is not recommended.. you need to start from default settings and increase slowly until you reach your sweet spot!

Regards,
Simbol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, simbol said:

There is no HF3.. surely you mean HF2.

V4 and V5 settings are not the same. Another issue people don't realise is that VRAM appears to be higher for DX12 in comparison with DX11 but this is not the case, what is happening is with DX11 the rendering engine / GPU could retrieve some system normal RAM instead, so if you were running out of VRAM already your computer would use your normal RAM for rendering purposes. However this would slow down your frames and on worse cases cause severe stutters here and there. 

Texture resolution set to ULTRA under 4K is really unnecessary and excessive, and at 4K it will consume LOTS OF VRAM even under V4, most likely your VRAM was exhausted as well under V4 but you would not crash.. but you would get performance penalty.

With DX12 now you see the issue.. I don't know how many times I will need to keep repeating to everyone that copying the settings from V4 to V5 is not recommended.. you need to start from default settings and increase slowly until you reach your sweet spot!

Regards,
Simbol

I already altered the settings before but I was able to fly without any problem before. Of course its gonna use a lot of VRAM in 4K but my VRAM usage was never indicating more then 8,5GB in v5. As my GPU got 11GB of VRAM i assumed that it should run good. The strange thing was for me that it even with full overcast weather including heavy rain the VRAM did not raise any further. I really feels like there is some VRAM cap that is throttling more usage as the only resource that was used more was my RAM. 

For sure you have to reset of your settings as v5 is different then v4 with its DX11. 

I am more or less able to understand how to set up the settings as I really tried out everything in v4 and I know wich setting affect whatever resource but I find it somehow strange that my VRAM seems to be bottlenecked while my RAM usage was turning up till max. 

2 hours ago, FgPunisher said:

I really feels like there is some VRAM cap that is throttling more usage as the only resource that was used more was my RAM. 

The sim is STRUGGLING trying to keep up with your too high settings, so it's TRYING to move away stuff from VRAM to RAM, to prevent an hard crash of the video driver.

This if the "Texture Streaming" option is enabled, which does exactly that, but it's not 100% foolproof, if there's a sudden and fast increase of VRAM, it might not be able to do that, and ( of course ) if you have only 16GB of normal RAM, forcing the sim to struggle to keep up with your insanely high settings, is increasing the regular RAM consumption more than normal, and of course all this juggling between RAM and VRAM DOES have a cost in performance too, even when it's not crashing.

If you use more reasonable settings, so that you have more VRAM free, you'll notice your RAM usage will go down as well, and you might even get away with disabling the Texture Streaming option, for a further increase of fps, at a greater risk of crashes if you are not careful with your settings.

Ideally, you should tune your settings in a very complex area and, if you are able to prevent a crash there, with Texture Streaming disabled, you might be reasonably sure it will work well with no crashes almost everywhere.

Edited by virtuali
  • Upvote 2