Sign in to follow this  
tcubed

Honeycomb yoke trim switch and X-Plane

I have a Honeycomb yoke attached to an X-Plane 11 system. Seems to get the basics of Cessna 172 flight control about right, maybe a bit sensitive. The left handle of the yoke has a couple of rocker switches, vertically positioned. In X-Plane, Settings:joystick lists out the possible switch-to-flight control associations. For the left-hand switch, Item 5 is Rock Up, Item 6 is Rock Down. I associated 5 and 6 with Pitch Trim, Mechanical not Servo. My first inclination was to match Switch designation with Pitch change direction, i.e. Switch Up, Pitch Up. Nice ring to it, easy to remember. But in flight, I mentally reached for the trim wheel, and rotated it properly--which is rotate down to add pitch up (and vice versa). The wheel motion is opposite the switch motion. It's a small thing, I realize. But what's the accepted way:

A. Switch Up for Pitch Up, or

B. Switch Up moves Pitch Wheel Up

Thanks for any advice. Still dialing in X-Plane.

My view is push forward to pitch forward, and vice versa. But I've bever flown a plane with electric trim :)

P.S. 'Up' is 'forward' to me.

Edited by MarkDH
  • Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I agree with Mark. Typical in a real a/c when there is a pitch trim switch on the yoke, up (forward) lowers the a/c nose, back (down) raises the nose. In effect the trim switch directions 'match' that of a trim wheel, and also that of the yoke itself -- push the yoke forward to lower the nose, etc.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Upvote 1

OK, I am convinced. Pushing UP on the trim switch pitches the nose DOWN, matching the motion of the trim wheel and larger motion of the yoke.

Thanks.