Sign in to follow this  
shermank

1338 Posts at Prepar3d.com about dxgi.dll

Regarding SysWow, that is Windows on Windows, which is for 32 bit code running on the 64 bit Operating System.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, shermank said:

Asus Z-87A MOBO, NVIDIA GTX 760 GPU, INTEL I5 4690CPU,

I know this is antique by today's standards, and I do plan on updating once the Microsoft 2020 P3D situation works itself through the process..

Thanks for your interest.

Sherm

Sherm, this whole thread now seems a bit silly. You’re claiming that P3D v5 has a serious problem with instability - but the issue is that you’re running a 2013-spec GPU that doesn’t fully support DX12 (feature level 11_0 only).

Your card does not meet the minimum spec for P3D v5, and is nowhere near the recommended spec. So when you say “there is obviously a major problem” - well, yeah, but the problem is with your inappropriate choice of hardware.

An awful lot of the posts claiming that P3D v5 is bad are either due to 1. User error 2. Referring to the pre-HF1 era or 3. People repeating stories they’ve heard elsewhere without having tried the sim itself.

Threads like this just perpetuate the myth.

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

14 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

That’s SySWOW64 ... never seen a folder SysWOW32 ?

Maybe this is a Win7 thing?

Cheers, Rob

Yes Rob. SysWow64 is for supporting Win32 code run on the Win64 OS. The 32bit OS can run 16 bit code in a similar way.

20 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

That’s SySWOW64 ... never seen a folder SysWOW32 ?

Maybe this is a Win7 thing?

Cheers, Rob

The funniest related thread here was the one where someone suggested copying DirectX files from c:\Windows\SysWOW64 (the 32 bit system file location) to the P3d5 main folder. That overwrote the P3d5 64 bit DirectX DLLs. It took me a while to figure out the logic in this suggestion. By doing so, P3d5 was forced to use the newer 64 bit DirectX libraries location in c:\Windows\System32.

Edited by jabloomf1230

...On the 32 bit OSs there was System and System32 folders. In the System folder you would see WOW versions for 16 bit programs. There was no SysWow32 folder.

1 hour ago, pilatuz said:

That's awesome, how's the cooling situation on it? I have great results with a CPU undervolt. Not sure about AMDs but I have steady temps around 80C and speed pretty much stable just over 4 ghz because of the undervolt. MSI laptops are known for heating issues, I also had to repaste.

Nice, those sound good temps. I may need to undervolt but will see how it goes as I’ve read good things, it’s a DTR (Desktop Replacement) so the chassis is pretty thick and allows for good cooling rather than a standard thinner laptop. Hopefully will receive it next week 

I have been seeing this crash consistently after HF2 was installed.  I have disabled all add-ons and was still seeing it with the default F35.

If I roll back to HF1 I have no issues and am running the latest W10 SP (2004).  I have tried new nVidia drivers (not the ones just released) and old- all with the same issue.

As you can see from my spec's my PC is pretty well set and I am using the standard OOB P3d config (deleted previous copies with each uninstall/install)

I9-9900K 4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | W10 2004

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

9 minutes ago, KJConlon said:

I have been seeing this crash consistently after HF2 was installed.  I have disabled all add-ons and was still seeing it with the default F35.

If I roll back to HF1 I have no issues and am running the latest W10 SP (2004).  I have tried new nVidia drivers (not the ones just released) and old- all with the same issue.

As you can see from my spec's my PC is pretty well set and I am using the standard OOB P3d config (deleted previous copies with each uninstall/install)

I9-9900K 4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | W10 2004

Did you install Windows 2004 update before or after you installed P3D v5?

3 hours ago, pilatuz said:

Did you install Windows 2004 update before or after you installed P3D v5?

I had originally installed with 1909 - had the crashes.  Installed 2004 hoping that would help no luck.

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

On 7/8/2020 at 4:09 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

Internet search on "DXGI.DLL ERROR" and I stopped counting when I got to over 1 Million hits ... most seem to be games, some simulators, a few were from graphics applications.  

There are many sources for DXGI.DLL:

1.  Coding error (rare but can happen) 

2.  DXGI.DLL is replaced by another product (shader tools do this) or by a pirated game that gives one a virus for "free" via the DXGI.DLL (this is the most common)

3.  Hardware is marginal (overclocked even from factory) and/or not maintained (aka dust removal) so it overheats

4.  File and/or registry corruption

5.  Trying to run a 64bit process in a 32bit OS

SysWOW32??  Are you running Windows 10 64bit?

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks, Rob for your pointers. Yes, I am running W10 64bit Pro 2004...the latest update...with current Nvidia driver...Is there anyway to download an original Windows dxgi.dll from a legitimate source...If mine are corrupted for one reason or another, I really will not like doing a reinstall of W10 to correct that issue.

Sherm

On 7/8/2020 at 1:56 PM, micstatic said:

I am also somebody who has not had trouble with this.  It could be addons, but I also think the problem is with settings and peoples overclocks (cpu and GPU).  However I say this as somebody with an 11gb VRAM card.  

I have not overclocked....but, my VC is somewhat an antique...GTX 760....currently, I am looking at a new card...thinking specifically about the 1660 or 1660ti....open to suggestions and ideas. Thanks...

oh,, BTW, I am not blaming this on P3D. I am sure the issue lies within my computer...but, the error only comes up with P3D....adding that as a fact, not a pejorative.

Sherm

Edited by shermank

20 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Sherm, this whole thread now seems a bit silly. You’re claiming that P3D v5 has a serious problem with instability - but the issue is that you’re running a 2013-spec GPU that doesn’t fully support DX12 (feature level 11_0 only).

Your card does not meet the minimum spec for P3D v5, and is nowhere near the recommended spec. So when you say “there is obviously a major problem” - well, yeah, but the problem is with your inappropriate choice of hardware.

An awful lot of the posts claiming that P3D v5 is bad are either due to 1. User error 2. Referring to the pre-HF1 era or 3. People repeating stories they’ve heard elsewhere without having tried the sim itself.

Threads like this just perpetuate the myth.

Hi Oz,

I don't think it is a myth....there are literally hundreds of posts about the dxgi.dll error in P3D...but, with that noted, you are correct that my card is old, and possibly the issue. I am looking at the Nvidia GTX 1660 or 1660ti, which I have been told will play well with my older mobo....but, if it does not, then I would upgrade that too, along with the CPU...Do you have an opinion on the 1660 cards, or any others that you could recommend. I hope to make a choice and get my next card by the weekend.

Sherm

10 hours ago, shermank said:

Hi Oz,

I don't think it is a myth....there are literally hundreds of posts about the dxgi.dll error in P3D...but, with that noted, you are correct that my card is old, and possibly the issue. I am looking at the Nvidia GTX 1660 or 1660ti, which I have been told will play well with my older mobo....but, if it does not, then I would upgrade that too, along with the CPU...Do you have an opinion on the 1660 cards, or any others that you could recommend. I hope to make a choice and get my next card by the weekend.

Sherm

Hi Sherm, not an expert on that range of cards, but I hope that whatever you do decide on helps you get less errors. P3D v5 likes modern hardware - you want as much VRAM as possible (8 gig recommended by LM, though some run with less). Good luck!

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

It's possible but unlikely to have a corrupt dll. I got crashing right off the bat with v5 but after cleaning the driver and profiles not had any since. Some problems could be due to overclocking, some from problems with incorrect files in DX12 from DX11 addons. Restore/Apply the profiles, including the Prepar3D.exe profile, if the Restore is unavailable make a change to it to force the Restore button to appear then Restore/Apply it. Strip back the sim to stock and check again with moderate settings before including addons to be sure.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 8:35 PM, pilatuz said:

I'm running v5 on a laptop with high settings, and all ORBX, PMDG, ASP3D, ProAtcx and never get CTDs or vram issues. I used to be a big complainer about the initial release, but after doing a full uninstall of ALL ADDONS and the sim and starting from scratch, its been running perfectly since.

Are you running with HF2 installed?