Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Any thoughts on the Geforce 1660?

I have a "backup" system that is showing its age a bit: 10 years old using an Asus Crosshair IV Formula MB along with an AMD 1090T (remember those!), and are you ready for it...  a GeForce 580 with a whopping 1.5GB!

Ok, ok... but like I said this is a 2nd system.  I use it for multi-media and to run other displays (gauges, moving map, etc.) and should anything happen to my main PC I can immediately continue work/play with no down time.  I never use it to run flightsim itself.  But the old WD velocerapter running Windows 10 pooped out so I just did a fresh install and thought got me thinking about the GPU.

Getting back up to speed on GPU's and I saw these GeForce 1660's out an about in the $220 range.  Looks like they will run three displays at one (required) and have 6GB to boot, so anyone using these for anything?  What's your thoughts/feedback?

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-Windforce-Gv-N1660OC-6GD/dp/B07P76G428/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=GeForce+1660&qid=1594241199&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

my old rig (non-backup) is driven by an evga 560TI (!!) and in low settings MSFS is barely flyable when over water :-). So I am currently looking into the GTX 1660 super as an interim solution before putting together a completly new PC (no time now to do that). I would appreciate some guidance on which 1660 super is quiet, any thoughts on ASUS Dual EVO or MSI w/ dual fan? I am hesitant since my system now is very quiet and I want to keep it that way

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Bought an MSI 1660s gaming x and it works just great, while being hardly audible, extremely silent card even under load 

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"