Sign in to follow this  
vin747

Clouds: What's the verdict?

2 minutes ago, BerndB said:

well, i guess, if the upcoming FS2020 comes arround only 80 % of what it´s promissing, LM has to use the potential, otherwise P3D will disapear into background. 

its weather cloud layers use 60 layers.....better stop there or we will get a " take your talk about MSFS to the right forum...." lol behave....

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I just tried a vanilla V5 HF2 with weather set to Major Thunderstorm.  Once above the weather, the cloud layer was absolutely flat in all directions as far as I could see.  I guess towering Cumulonimbus isn't simulated yet and is still in beta.

If you look at the freely available and not covered by NDA screen shots in SimulatorNotAllowed (boy it's hard to get above a thunderstorm in a light aircraft) you will see that towering CB is simulated.

Edited by gb09f
spelling

54 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

EA will be the next dynamic vegetation. Sure, they'll give it another pass in 5.1, but I'm betting LM will never fully utilize its potential. 

I don't know when the last time that you used the Speedtrees option but with the improved performance in P3d5, their impact is hardly noticeable. As I posted before I fixed a the few bright green tree species by editing the textures with Photoshop. Have fun with your stick figure trees. Also, LM can't do a whole lot of modifications to STs due to licensing constraints that apply to all 3D app developers that license this ubiquitous product.

But back on topic. Having played around with the trueSky SDK, my opinion is that LM should have little trouble incorporating more features into the PDK. The question is, do they want to do so, as allowing too much 3rd party access also creates new support issues. I do believe that the main features like regions of weather within the user's reality bubble will be added.

10 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

As I posted before I fixed a the few bright green tree species by editing the textures with Photoshop.

Needing Photoshop to fix LM's issues lol

10 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Have fun with your stick figure trees.

Are you twelve?

7 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Needing Photoshop to fix LM's issues lol

Are you twelve?

I guess that you're not familiar with editing model textures to add liveries to aircraft models and modifying the look of other objects in flightsims. A user can do that for personal use, but LM is bound to the ST license. LM could build vegetation models from scratch with ST, but  so far they've just purchased existing models. 

Do you seriously think the default trees look good? Even the ORBX and other "upgrades" are something from a 1990s video game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Do you seriously think the default trees look good?

Actually, yes. 🙂 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Im in a similar boat. I really want EA to work in the long run as im getting add-on fatigue.

In the meantime i went back to ASCA and while its not as good as REX SF/EF, its simpler and more seamless.

• Like 2

ST look hideous and as an airline flyer they are a huge blot on any scene. Global TerraFlora  v2 imo look 10x better.

Each to their own.

5eb12f0e891b6-400x225.jpg

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Clouds:

- EA on for VFR.
- Legacy mode for airliner flights.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 hours ago, Chapstick said:

EA will be the next dynamic vegetation. Sure, they'll give it another pass in 5.1, but I'm betting LM will never fully utilize its potential. 

No way. I fly every flight with EA, have no wish to ever fly with the old atmospherics/clouds ever again. It’s the best feature of v5, even in its imperfect beta form.

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, BerndB said:

the major issues with EA for the moment are:

1. no regional weather depiction. The actual weather arround your position is globaly and therefore no smooth changing of the athmospheric apearance while advancing the leg is possible by now.

2. AS can´t inject weather with their depiction "model" where in legacy mode the weather conditions between two staitions is computed by AS and though you have the feeling the weather changes slightly from area to area.

3. The cloud layering is unrealistic. When you are at FL380 it seems the clouds reach up to FL350 even if the clouds should have a top of 5000 ft. Because of this you can´t really "feel" the height unless you can´t see the terrain thru clouds 

Appart from this EA can´t be beaten in case of the most realistic appearance of the athmosphere, including the nightsky, the twilightzone, and all the athmospheric shading and scattering, indeed.

Lots of flickering of textures too.

Stan

Asca looks like a comic book from the 1960’s

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Where did you get that info?

Pretty reasonable guess considering the pace of past releases.

55 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

P3D V5.1 will make MSFS disappear into the background (hard coded and no customization) ... oh wait, it's not even in the foreground yet 🙂

Roger that, Rob, i´am sure that LM will takle out of their EA what´s possible and usefull, and what i said isn´t contradicting in fact. Generally we users benefit from competition by chance. And if the upcoming MSFS even increases the motivation of the LM developers in advancing and evolving P3D much further, i´ll be very happy with that. I am anyway preparing myself for a longer lasting P3D, because as long we can´t held the evidence in hand, i doubt that MS will cope with all that "included" stuff where actually and over the last decades even more of hundreds add-on developers where needed to have a weather engine, Ground-services, complex aircrafts, usable atc etc.😉 But we will see and if it really come true...so what, take it and be happy.

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif