Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

Nvidia Game Ready Driver 451.67 has been released.

11 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Rob, what limiter do you use (if it is really needed at all with your settings above)? I surmise it is RTSS set at 30 fps, is it not?

The "limiter" is my monitors refresh rate at 30Hz with Vsync enabled in P3D.  I don't use RTSS to artificially cap nor NCP ... use that option only if your monitor doesn't work well at 30Hz.  The most accurate signal timing (aka the Vsync signal) will come from the display device (monitor/TV), so I prefer to manage the "limit" using my monitors refresh rate bound to it's Vsync signal.

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, micstatic said:

For years I used prefer max performance in power management.  Then when dx12 came along I thought it might be worth seeing if that's still best.  Now all I do in NCP is change the monitor refresh rate to 30hz.  For the first time I've been using the default optimal power management.  Notice no change.  This article is worth a read. 

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2019/12/04/nvidia-geforce-driver-power-mode-settings-compared/11/

That’s Interesting, given that max power is the only tweak I apply. As you say, for years that was the common consensus and while I never thought it did much I certainly never imagined it can actually degrade performance in any way

5 hours ago, Chapstick said:

I'm curious to understand why people are thinking GPU hardware scheduling is doing anything?

GPU scheduling doesn't "require" specific coding ... existing code bases can benefit from it without changes.  There are numerous videos doing comparisons with GPU scheduling enabled/disabled ... results vary by game but some games will show a clear improvement.  Going forward graphics developers might leverage/utilize their render pipeline based on the knowledge of GPU scheduling accelerated support.

I personally haven't done a "before" and "after" testing, I've only monitored the time frame data in an "after" situation.  Probably not going to do a P3D/XP before and after compare with GPU scheduling and will leave that up to someone else ... lots of work doing these types of tests.

I do like Steve's YouTube channel, but he's not a software engineer and this is the entire article he references:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling/

To quote MS article:

With the right hardware and drivers, Windows can now offload most of GPU scheduling to a dedicated GPU-based scheduling processor.

This doesn't "require" code changes or recompile.  However it does require specific GPUs, Win10 2004, and updated drivers.

Here is someone's YouTube video where they do a side by side using GPU scheduling ... you'll see some games it's no different while others there is a difference ... both FPS avg and most important Low 1% FPS avg as this is where stutters live.

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1

What is the current recommendation for Low Latency Mode setting in NCP?

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

What is the current recommendation for Low Latency Mode setting in NCP?

Thanks.

Does not impact DX12 or Vulkan games, so not relevant to V5. It's not relevant in V4 either, because ulta-low latency mode is for when you find yourself GPU bound at high framerates (60+).

• Like 1

-Alex