Sign in to follow this  
dfanucci

Looks like it will be released this year...

publicly apologized and offered cultural difference as an explanation.

Yeah, cultural differences aren't much of a defence really. It was obvious sarcasm. not sure it was a genuine apology.

it was relatively impersonal

OP thought otherwise and was upset by it. Another contributor, also with just a few posts, a new member, stated that it had put him off the forum and made him feel he should frequent other forums rather than this one.

Again though... feel free to form  your own opinion.

The forum, in terms of the moderation, is usually very good. Moderation is hard, you would be shocked if you knew what I had to deal with as a moderator. But there is certainly a cycle that seems to be manifest here. Phases of loser moderation and tighter moderation. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Yes Dominique, I am most definitely serious. I was a moderator on the Just Flight forum  many years ive had plenty of PM's from those upset by so called "banter" more accurately unwarranted sarcasm.  I regard what you call "banter" as unacceptable. And it seems to me that the "banter" upset the OP. The degree of sarcasm I witnessed was beyond banter in my opinion. It was unnecessary sarcasm and not really playful. It's worth remembering that what you regard as "banter" can be perceived differently by others and be upsetting. "It was just banter" is a defence often used for what is in essence not particularly pleasant at all. 

You are of course free to form your own opinion. 

Response from others: 

Banter or not banter, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It was meant as a banter, it was not perceived as such. As I said earlier, sensitivity to humour is a cultural thing. Over the years, I have found that much and tend to avoid irony. But tolerance is what makes a forum great, not tone uniformity.

I take exception that you call for a banning for a couple of ironic remarks meant to be humourous after the guy who has a good record of posts here, apologized. 

Bob Scott, the chief mod, has perfectly summed up the issue in his pinned post. You don’t like a guy, blot him out from your time line. I do that quite a bit, makes browsing more serene.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Again though... feel free to form  your own opinion.

The forum, in terms of the moderation, is usually very good. Moderation is hard, you would be shocked if you knew what I had to deal with as a moderator. But there is certainly a cycle that seems to be manifest here. Phases of loser moderation and tighter moderation. 

Well, I feel slightly freer to form my own opinion not having you as a moderator. Your first post said you would have kicked the poster off if you were a moderator, you’ve just said you’re not sensitive to cultural difference (not a desirable quality on a global platform like, erm, the internet), and you’re committing the cardinal sin that all moderators on all forums prohibit: venting in the thread about lack of moderation of posts you dislike rather than using the report button!

Please, don’t volunteer for any other mod jobs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

It was meant as a banter, it was not perceived as such. 

Maybe it was intended as mere banter. But it wasn't perceived by the OP that way. And as soon as it's clearly not perceived that way a reasonable person desists, the "banter" stops. In this instance it continued for three more replies. Banter is banter if its perceived by the other party as such. FRIENDLY banter is a two way process. 

But tolerance is what makes a forum great, not tone uniformity.

I agree. I'm not asking for a Draconian scenario. But when two members with just a handful of posts make it clear that they are putt off by the response they received, and one is of the opinion that he should frequent other forums and not this one, its a sad day for Avsim. Hence, why I would have dropped the individual responsible a quick PM and asked him to be more considerate of new members and to tone down the sarcasm. (maybe that happened) Banter comes in many forms, but when it comes in the from of sarcasm, from in this case, a stranger, its not so innocuous. My back would certainly be up if a stranger directed such sarcasm at me, but quite the opposite if it was an individual I knew and had a relationship with. 

I take exception that you call for a banning

I didn't do that. I said "if I were a moderator". Fair point though. I may have overreacted. A PM with a request for a moderated tone would have sufficed. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Well, I feel slightly freer to form my own opinion not having you as a moderator.

No need for rudeness. That's really not necessary. I've been pleasant to you. 

Your first post said you would have kicked the poster off if you were a moderator, you’ve just said you’re not sensitive to cultural difference (not a desirable quality on a global platform like, erm, the internet),

I may have overreacted regrading kicking him off the forum. As I've already stated.

I object to you stating I am "not sensitive to cultural differences". I was married to someone from an entirely different culture. Not a nice response and not at all what I said or implied. My point was that the sarcasm displayed was obvious sarcasm and I wasn't of the opinion that cultural differences were at play in this case. Especially when it was another forum member that came up with the "cultural differences" excuse, not the guilty party himself and the party himself simply appeared to latch onto the excuse. ( but maybe i'm wrong - form your own opinion) And again, the guilty party, as soon as it was obvious the sarcasm wasn't being received very well, could have desisted. 

venting in the thread about lack of moderation of posts you dislike rather than using the report button!

What I said was that I hoped a moderator had spoken to him. And surprise if they hadn't. But thanks for the advice.

Please, don’t volunteer for any other mod jobs.

Yeah that was unnecessary. Twice now! I've not responded to you that way. There really is no need to take this discussion in that direction. I've been trying to be pleasant to you. Reciprocation would be appreciated. No, I didn't volunteer, I was asked, several times.  If I do ever agree to be a moderator again... you will be the first I ban for life. 😉 Don't worry, that was just "banter". 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kids, it's beginning to look like a kiddy play school here. 

Please put your pacifiers back where they belong, it's obvious you are cranky as you have not had your morning snooze yet, so, cuddle up with your blankie, & chill.

Remember, it's only a game..

Moderators have better things to do than to change daipers. 

Edited by Wobbie
  • Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

On 7/9/2020 at 9:32 PM, dfanucci said:

I don't spend every waking moment reading these boards. Since it was updated just today, I thought I'd share. Sorry to have wasted your such valuable time...

It's not so much about reading every post, but there is a similar thread on the same page. People tend to open threads for everything that comes to their mind. It's maybe OK with AVSIM, but personally I find it beneficial to keep things clean.

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, Wobbie said:

Kids, it's beginning to look like a kiddy play school here. 

Please put your pacifiers back where they belong, it's obvious you are cranky as you have not had your morning snooze yet, so, cuddle up with your blankie, & chill.

Remember, it's only a game..

Moderators have better things to do than to change daipers. 

Your comments havent helped at all. Just a catalyst for potentially inflaming the situation further. Referring to people as kids and telling them to put their pacifiers back in, essentially insulting people, is not the approach.

I've moved on. Others seem to have done so too. Your input not required.

Back to the new sim...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Your comments havent helped at all. Just a catalyst for potentially inflaming the situation further. Referring to people as kids and telling them to put their pacifiers back in, essentially insulting people, is not the approach.

I've moved on. Others seem to have done so too. Your input not required.

Back to the new sim...

Yes dad.. 

If you act like a child, you deserve to be called a child, that input is required. 

You wet your diaper? 

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

17 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Oh Gawd - thanks n4, - I can be so behind the times on things.

Do we have any idea at all, what it WILL be called...?

"Microsoft Flight Simulator," or simply "MSFS."

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 minutes ago, n4gix said:

"Microsoft Flight Simulator," or simply "MSFS."

I wonder if they'll stick some designator/ label on the end, like 2004, X, GOLD, did before?

1 minute ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I wonder if they'll stick some designator/ label on the end, like 2004, X, GOLD, did before?

That's a big UNKNOWN at this juncture. It may be that they will. On the other hand since this has been announced to be a product continuously in development for a 10 year cycle, it is likely to simply be a series of version updates.

Fr. Bill    

No reason to change the given name. It's self explanatory. 

Can you imagine.. FS2020 v2021 if it gets updated in 2021.

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

17 hours ago, martin-w said:

I think you should just move along actually. Treating contributors in such a disrespectful way isnt aceptable. I'm stunned a mod hasnt dealt with you.

Notice that label in the left column?

<------- the one that reads "Moderator" and at the top "Administrator"

Fr. Bill