Sign in to follow this  
hamlinsw

RXP 430/530 Add-ons -> Setup Aircraft=Black Screen

I just got a new computer, and I’m reinstalling everything.  I installed FSX SE, all of my add-on aircraft, and the RealityXP  430/530 set with the included Garmin trainer.  I used the e-commerce wrapper newly downloaded from my purchases for the 430/530 install.  I have a number of issues.  None of my RealAir airplanes configuration utilities see that the 430/530 are installed, but that is minor.  Note that my A2A 182 configuration utility sees it fine.  The first time I loaded the RealAir B60, I was able to select “Add-ons -> Setup Aircraft”, but every other aircraft displays a full-screen black screen when I try to do that.  After the first time, the B60 does it too.  The only way out is to force-close FSX SE with the task manager.  Also, the A2A 182 430/530 doesn’t display and the 2D pop-up is just a black rectangle.

Edited by RXP

@hamlinsw
For the Realair products try this. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GNS Simulation\FltSim\32. The 32 folder since you are using a 32 bit sim. Make a copy of rxpGNS2.dll rename it rxpGNS.dll. When the Realair products came out it was the RXP legacy GNS. Now it's version 2 hence the reason to make a copy of version 2 to look like the Legacy version.

• Like 1

BillS511, Thanks for the reply.  I was able to get all of the RealAir products working by renaming the .dll.  I ran into the "chunk" error using the piston Duke config panel that others have reported, but worked around that by manually editing the panel.cfg.  Now, they all work.  The A2A Skylane "magically" started working.  The Reality XP gauges were installed into it using the A2A config panel.  I'm not sure why it previously wouldn't power on, but you can't complain about progress.

My only remaining problem is that I can't use Addons->Setup Aircraft menu items to add the gauges in any other aircraft.  I still get a full-screen black screen when I select Addons, then Setup Aircraft.  This is true for all aircraft that I have tried.  At that point FSX SE is locked-up.  Right now, I'm stuck using the F1 GNS gauges in pop-up mode.

Edited by RXP

Hi,

You're not stuck to anything at all!

First, have you checked whether there is a Real Air Panel mod available in the official discussion, or using search in this forum (there are many discussions you can find ready-to-use answers from):

As for FSX-SE screen turning black, are you using any form of "post processing" tool (Reshade and similar)? Are you using any DX10 "fixer"? There has been a discussion on our forums a few days ago about the later, and the former is known to mess around the FSX-SE windowing system whenever there is a child window opening up (which the GUI Panel Assistant is opening up).

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

@Jean-Luc, thank you for the response.  I have the RealAir and A2A Products working, now.  It's only the planes that require the GUI Panel Assistant to configure them that are still an issue, since it doesn't display properly.  The GUI Panel Assistant still gives me a full-screen black screen that can't be closed except by closing FSX SE with the Windows Task Manager.

The RXP GNS gauges worked fine on my old system with the same add-ons.  The problem PC is a new system, running Windows 10 Home (for the moment), with a new installation of FSX SE.  The only mods to FSX SE are the installation of third-party aircraft and a couple of scenery add-ons by REX.  I have the REX 4 Clouds and REX 5 HD Airports.  I'm not running DX-10 mode in FSX SE, and haven't installed the "fixer" or any "post-processing" tools.  I have done a complete removal of the gauges and the GNS trainer, and reinstalled them with no change.  The system has the latest patches, and the graphics drivers were just updated from the NVIDIA site.

BTW - No offense was intended towards the developers of the F1 GNS set.  They work fine.  I just would prefer to use the RXP set for everything since it is supported, in the 3D panels, by some of my third-party aircraft.  I assume that, if I can't resolve the RXP Add-ons menu issue, I can just manually mod the panel.cfg on the other aircraft.  I haven't had the time to work on that, yet.  Thanks, again.

Steve

Motherboard - ASUS Z490-V

Main Processor - Intel i7-10700K at 3.8 GHz

Graphics - NVIDIA 2070 Super, 8GB

Memory - 32 GB DDR4

Edited by RXP

Thank you for the additional feedback.

Do you see any peculiar entry in the RXP log files (most precisely the rxpGNS2_menu.dll.log)?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

From rxpGNS2_menu.dll.log -

20/07/09 23:09:43.266 01508 -    ] # rxpGNS2_menu.dll version 2.4.20.0
20/07/09 23:09:43.268 01508 INFO ] edit panel: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\simobjects\airplanes\RealAir Duke B60 V2\panel\panel.cfg

Attempts at starting the GUI Panel Assistant don't result in new entries into any of the three log files.

Thanks,

Steve

I don't think so.  I haven't installed the FSX Borderless tool.  With those airplanes that don't have a utility to integrate the RXP gauges into the 3D cockpit, I've had good luck manually modifying the panel.cfg to enable use of the gauges without using the GUI Panel Assistant.  It would be great to get a solution, but it's not a show-stopper, now that I understand how to do it manually.  Thanks for your time.

I thank you for your enduring patience.

I'd very much like to get to the bottom of it though because at this stage I'm not sure what is causing this and how we can assist other customers having a similar issue in the future. It might be a RXP bug but if so I guess we'd have more reports in the forum. It might be a 3rd party add-on interfering but given the restricted installation you're documenting it is unlikely. The only remaining piece is the video card driver and the OS updates. Can you please further detail the OS build version, driver version and video card model?

Platform ServicePack Version      VersionString
-------- ----------- -------      -------------
 Win32NT             10.0.18363.0 Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18363.0

Powershell returns - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER     27.21.14.5167; but

the NVidia Control Panel returns driver version 451.67

@Jean-Luc, I found the problem.  Just on a whim, I ran the F1 registry fixer.  I tested just prior to running it, with the same black-screen results, and no other changes were made.  So, I assume that was the issue.  I'm not sure how a new installation can have a bad path in the registry, but it works.  I tested on several aircraft, 3rd-party and MS default, and the GUI displays normally.  Thanks again for your help!

Steve

CORRECTION

It was working fine, and then the same issue returned.  Nothing was installed or changed.  It just stopped working, again.  The gauges still work fine.  It's only the GUI.

Edited by hamlinsw
typo

This is really peculiar. There must be something in your system, or an add-on in particular, which is interfering somehow because if it was working for a time, and then it is no longer working, you must review anything which could have changed in between.

It might be something not flight sim related as well?!?!

Are you enabling the new "GPU Scheduling" feature? What about deactivating it in this case?

The 451.67 driver is also very recent. Is there any chance you try rolling back to 446.14 (the last one before the 'GPU scheduling' thing)?

Edited by RXP

I'll give that a try.  Just FYI, I was also having an issue with one of my planes that didn't install correctly on my new system, so I copied the entire FSX root folder and subfolders to the new system, after creating a backup of the new installation.  I know that you can't install programs that way, but with the registry entries in place from the new installation, I thought it couldn't hurt.  Doing that corrected the issue with my malfunctioning airplane, and the RXP GNS GUI worked for a while before quitting again.  Strange!  I'll respond again after I install the drivers that you recommended.  Again, thanks for your efforts.

I installed NVIDIA drivers v446.14, and rebooted.  No joy.  Also, I recently updated Windows to the Enterprise version, but that had no impact on this issue. From what I tried with the FSX copy, I assume that it is not anything in the FSX/RXP installation.  It has to be in the system hardware, OS, or drivers.