Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

Will Ray Tracing be supported for Nvidia Cards?

Seems like MS is making a big deal lately regarding the new Ray Tracing features and bonuses of newer Nvidia Cards in Minecraft...

Has there been any mention of FS2020 taking advantage of this feature for release?

Chris Camp

They have stated that they are not supporting it at release.

Who can tell the difference anyway? I can't. Or who cares? 

And as @Rob_Ainscough mentioned, MSFS uses the much better performing DX11 rather then the disastrous  DX12  (as seen by the P3D V5 flop).

Roll on MSFS2020. The only true flight simulator worth having. 

Do not feed the obtuse troll.

Edited by Murmur

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Asobo has said they have their own way of emulating true ray tracing, so I'm not sure it matters.  

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

Do not feed the obtuse troll.

I’ve seen clips and can’t tell any difference to my eyes and many others feel the same and that it’s a pointless gimmick. 

This really needs to be stickied because the ray-tracing question comes up very often.

The simulator will run under DirectX 11 at release, and at some point will be upgraded to DirectX 12 with potential for ray-tracing support according to the developers.

Take a look at 17:20 and on in this video. As they said, they are using ray-marching for the clouds and traditional screen-space reflections, though in the cockpits it looks more like a local planar implementation to me. The ground surfaces and water are definitely screen-space though.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty