Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Got An Extra $40,000 To Spare?

At 100TB, meet the perfect SSD for the simmer who has everything but enough storage space!

https://www.techradar.com/news/at-100tb-the-worlds-biggest-ssd-gets-an-eye-watering-price-tag

GkdxfAaa55xdURPCXyRLtQ-970-80.jpg.webp

The Exadrive from Nimbus has held the world record for the biggest solid state drive in the world for more than two years now but until recently, its price was only available on demand. 

The company has now put the prices of its 50TB and 100TB models (either SATA/SAS) online, with the 50TB edition (EDDCT020/EDDCS050) costing $12,500 ($250 per TB) while the 100TB version (EDDCT100/EDDCS100) retailing for $40,000 ($400 per TB). 

In comparison, Samsung’s 30.72TB monster, the MZILT30THMLA, retails for $8,860 ($288 per TB) while your cheapest SSD will retail for under $90, albeit with consumer grade QLC NAND.

Both drives come in a 3.5-inch form factor rather than the more popular 2.5-inch one. They use enterprise-grade MLC 3D NAND rather than QLC, providing a sequential read/write speeds of up to 500/460MB/s and up to 114,000/105,000 IOps reads/writes.

The target audience for this drive are outfits looking for the highest storage density available on the market at any cost. The ExaDrive range has a five year warranty, is guaranteed for unlimited drive writes per day during that period and has a mean time between failures of 2.5 million hours.

The 100TB model has 5x more capacity than the largest hard disk drive on the market and 67% than the next largest solid state drive, a 60TB Seagate SSD that was launched back in 2016. Very large capacity solid state drives haven’t been flooding the market despite previous predictions.

Blame it on demand and supply as hyperscalers, web hosting companies and service providers are generally happy with hard disk drives and NAND manufacturers are just about keeping up with demand from other verticals (smartphones, laptops etc).

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

We should visit this thread in few years from now and compare the prices.  It all will come down !!!! yay.  I remember when 1GB for consumer came; it was a big deal.  Seeing 20GB HDDs were jaw dropping.  I was very young then, the only thing me and my friends could think was - we can store lot of well...ahem video entertainment...yay and then install games

• Like 2

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

if that thing fails...

• Like 1

Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen

How would you ever do a backup ?  Dear God, back to Nixdorf self threading backup tape drives that used a fan to flutter the tape end so it would spool - shudder......

Cheaper to buy cloud storage that`s what the future is for home users.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I too remember when the first 1GB hard drive came out in the early '90s:  I almost drooled in the store looking at it.  But it was a too expensive back then, and no way my (late) wife was going to OK that...

And now behold:  A 100TB SSD card!   

• Like 1