Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Is it a DC or a MD or a Boeing - maybe bits of all...?

[Note: I wish to admit, first, that I had to finally give in, in this case, not being able to resist the temptation (for this plane) any longer...I'm sure, many of us, here, have gone through similar experiences, in our respective SIMs. My last such delayed acquisition was "AS CRJ", and, here is my latest example of it, the "TFDi B717", a marvelous aircraft (and, mind you, quite unique too, more later...), in its own right! After deferring it for a long time, being, concerned, if it would run properly on my (moderate) FSX/SE system, I finally got prodded to pick it up via Orbx's SALE...And, of course, this turned out to be a fantastic SIM to enjoy, IMHO...]

While creating an account on the TFDi website, today, a question was posed, to prove we're "real" human Simmers (and NOT computers)...and, the question is about, I recall, which manufacturer should be referenced for the 717 (Boeing or McDonnell Douglas)...And, because of my (personal) bias, I got it wrong, on the first try...!

Here is a (nice) excerpt from the TFDi manual:

"Before getting started, it is essential to learn about the history of the 717 to fully understand why this is not a typical Boeing aircraft. The 717 did not start out as a Boeing product; instead, it was a project led by the McDonnell-Douglas Corporation to fill the 100-passenger regional jet market as a replacement to old DC-9s. It began life in 1983 as a potential replacement for the DC-9-30. The newer DC-9-80s (Super 80s) were larger and did not always suit the job, and the DC-9-30 was beginning to show its age....

Once Douglas merged with McDonnell, the project was not immediately picked up again, and the MD-87 was produced to fulfill the role that was intended to be taken on by the DC-9-90s. At the 1991 Paris Airshow, McDonnell-Douglas announced the development of the MD-95, a 105 seat, twin-turbofan jet...the jet was being prepared to enter into service soon when it was announced McDonnell-Douglas would merge with Boeing in 1997. Boeing was expected to cancel the project and opt to focus on its new 737-600 model, which served a similar purpose. However, to many in the industry’s surprise, Boeing announced it would rebrand the MD-95 as the Boeing 717 instead. The aircraft saw minuscule changes to it during the transition and led to a flight deck that carries much of McDonnell-Douglas' original design philosophy
...."

So, there we go, an attempt to justify the title of my post...To me, "The B717 (merely) carries the name of "Boeing", but actually, has the heart of MD-80, and the roots of DC-9"...!

The B717 had a remarkably quick introduction into service. Consider this, "The first 717's assembly started in May 1997. The aircraft had its roll-out ceremony on June 10, 1998. The  first flight took place on September 2, 1998. The airliner was awarded a type certification on September 1, 1999. Its first delivery was in September 1999 to AirTran Airways..." - all in just about 2 years of time...(quite remarkable, indeed)! Please do note another significant fact, about the B717, unlike any of its DC-9/MD-80 predecessors, this aircraft, was equipped not with (traditional) "Pratt & Whitney JT8D" engines, but with "Rolls-Royce BR715" series. The Rolls-Royce BR715 turbofan is/was the sole engine offered on the Boeing 717. And, B717 story is not complete, without a mention about the number "717". We know there was 707, and 720 (the shorter 707), and then there were 727, 737 etc....So, the (skipped) "717" designation, although was previously reserved for another Boeing aircraft, it had become available, again, in 1997, to be used with this plane, instead of its originally intended name (MD-95)....

Today, when, I loaded the [VC] of this (nicely-done) B717 into my SIM, for the first time, I said to myself, "MD-11 Déjà vu...!!". The cockpit avionics, at least, to my "untrained" and "layman" eyes, is amazingly identical to that of "MD-11"...(if you wish, you may refer back to my recent MD-11 post, for a comparison). Boeing, probably, had too much respect for the original (MD) design, to alter it...! Unfortunately, B717-200 and B737-600 would be competing with each other for essentially the same niche market, and the 737 would eventually win...! I'm aware, many of you, here, love flying e.g. the (SIM) Maddog MD-80, or, will also (fondly) recall the (classic) DC-9. So, here is a suggestion, to consider, while we are waiting for the (now committed, but still future) "likely-P3D-only" TFDi MD-11...This plane, here, would, right away, give you the best of both worlds: your favorite and familiar look of the MD-80 and the (advanced) avionics of the MD-11 (with lots of "Glass" in the cockpit, radically different, btw, from what you're used to in your Maddog 80). So, if you are interested, look into this SIM, or/and keep a watch for another SALE. Here is another thing: I learned that the B717 was TFDi's very first foray into an aircraft simulation, and what an impressive opener...! Judging by the quality, we (I mean, you P3D folks...🙂...) can certainly expect good things for their (upcoming) MD-11, which they seem to have now committed to. We'll see...

Back to this post: Encouraged by the (TFDi) B717's apparent [VC] similarities to my (PMDG) MD-11 SIM, today, I gave myself a challenge, of 6 hours' time, with this SIM, to be able to install the SIM (Orbx Central was a breeze), do a Cold & Dark (engine) start-up followed by a ~500 nm flight...(the flight for this post turned out to be 498 nm)! I did complete my objectives, and, it was tremendous fun. My flight, of course, was not blemish-less...e.g., I could not get rid of a couple of "Alert" messages on the Engine Display (one of which (Cabin Altitude), I read, may have something to do with, going to External View, which, I often do for screenshots) etc...Nonetheless, I hope, you enjoy the images, below, of this "unique" jetliner, that may have lost out to the ERJ/CRJ/B737/A319 in the market, but still stands out as an outstanding example of a "modern" and "reliable" aircraft (production ceased 2006)...(Side Note: With B717's end of production, the historic "Long Beach, California" Plant, that, over >75 years, had produced legends like (WW II) Military Bombers (B-17s), Douglas Props (DC-3/C-47/DC-4/DC-6 etc.), Douglas Jets (DC-8/DC-9/DC-10), MD Jets (MD-11/MD-80) etc., would close its doors and be shuttered down for ever...!)

For choice of Airline, in this post, I've selected Volotea, an (admirable) Spanish low-cost airline registered in Spain. It's now the only European airline (and could be world's final operator) of the Boeing 717! It had commenced operations on 5 April 2012, from Venice Marco Polo Airport. The name "Volotea" originates from the Spanish verb "revolotear," meaning "to fly around". Please note the curious imprint "MARCO VOLO" (not "MARCO POLO") with this livery. This flight, here, tracks the beautiful (Spanish) coastline of Bay of Biscay,  directly west to east, from Santiago-Rosalía de Castro Airport (LEST) to Josep Tarradellas Barcelona–El Prat Airport (LEBL). The flight makes use of a TFDi-format compatible SimBrief Flightplan output, uploaded into the FMS, along with the B717's MD-11 like navigation suite (e.g., the characteristic [PROF] function for Vertical Navigation)...(please see screenshots)...

In spite of the few anomalies mentioned (which I intend to investigate - a great deal, here, to learn, still...), I hope you enjoy this account and the SIM pictures, below.

[Final Note: BTW, folks, there is no "respite" from "it" in sight around here...! We just wait and see...!]

Good Sunday!

[TFDi(B717)/MSE(Spain)/REX]

IMNss1.png

gemoeq.png

rlSTze.png

9Oe4Ao.png

J3pxuZ.png

KG4qUY.png

SGEEKl.png

RARfqG.png

cCvl11.png

lKkMJu.png

OC4O5W.png

yFlYTV.png

blOO56.png

45Qpjr.png

wbR1N4.png

o1HrP0.png

QYl4vr.png

X98B2Z.png

XQdu16.png

9mrtfq.png

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Love a "T" tail...Beautiful Vibrant Shots!!! Your Angles are Spectacular !!

• Upvote 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Folks: Appreciated...!!

I, too, now, have come to love this plane and this SIM...!!

14 hours ago, Phantom88 said:

Love a "T" tail...Beautiful Vibrant Shots!!! Your Angles are Spectacular !!

Yes, this T-tail certainly appears so distinctive (on these DC-9/MD-80/B717 look-alike types...)...Thanks..!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, P_7878 said:

Folks: Appreciated...!!

I, too, now, have come to love this plane and this SIM...!!

Yes, this T-tail certainly appears so distinctive (on these DC-9/MD-80/B717 look-alike types...)...Thanks..!!

It’s always gonna be a DC-9.  The FAA designated it so 🙂

If you end up getting P3Dv5 let me know and we can fly the 717 together sometime!

• Upvote 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Hi Brian:

Appreciated...!! Great to hear from someone who really knows the MD/Boeing aircraft...🙂...(unlike the "pretend" pilot here)...

Interesting point about FAA designation of B717 as DC-9 (so, my naive thought process was correct to start with...🙂...)

BTW, your remark did make me look up on the internet, a bit:

FAA Order 8900.1, Volume 5, Chapter 2, Section 19 (Dated: 12/16/19)

For the "CIVIL MODEL DESIGNATION" (717-200), along with a host of other similar aircraft in this group (starting from DC-9-11 to MD-90-30), the "CURRENT TYPE RATING DESIGNATION" is, indeed, noted as DC-9...! I didn't know that...

However, now, I do recall reading earlier that FAA approved (B717) transition courses for DC-9 (and analog MD-80) pilots that could be completed in just 11 days. (No wonder it took me just 6 hours to fly....🙂...)...!

More seriously, I'd not been lately able to visit the MSFS2020 Forum, but I read today about the August 18 Release date of some kind. That sounds so exciting, no matter, what Aircraft it comes with it...(We'll not expect this beauty there, for now, but, it may come later, who knows,...no harm hoping and dreaming a bit here....Anyway, that SIM would, personally, require me to re-direct some family resources...🙂...for a more powerful system...we'll see...)

Thanks again..!!

Edited by P_7878

Another great post!  Thanks for the education!

• Like 1

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)