Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Enabling addons at start-up

Not that it is specific to V5, but my V5 installation wants me to enable a number of addons at every start-up of P3D (usually the same ones - and they are Orbx addons).  Kind of annoying -  I guess there must be something incorrectly configured.  

Anyone know why and what the solution is?

Cheers

Erich

Edited by ErichB

Eric,

There are two add-on.cfg files. One is in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed_Martin\P3Dv5 and the other is in C:\Users\[your_name]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed_Martin\P3Dv5.

Examine each using NotePad++ and check that Active=True is set for each one. If it isn't I think that's when you get asked to confirm.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

This can happen if you have addons installed in the ORBX scenery folder and others in the default sim install, most likely your ORBX scenery folder is not connected to the sim correctly.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Eric,

There are two add-on.cfg files. One is in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed_Martin\P3Dv5 and the other is in C:\Users\[your_name]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed_Martin\P3Dv5.

Examine each using NotePad++ and check that Active=True is set for each one. If it isn't I think that's when you get asked to confirm.

Hmmm...most of my ProgramData addon.cfg is all in Chinese script.  Could be something up there.  Does anyone know why this could be and how I convert it back to english

[DiscoveryPath.0]
PATH=C:\Users\ErichB\Orbx Library\p3dv5
TITLE=Orbx Main Library
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.29]
PATH=C:\Users\ErichB\Orbx Library\p3dv5\NA Northern Rockies
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
਍਀嬀倀愀挀欀愀最攀⸀ 崀ഀ਀倀䄀吀䠀㴀䌀㨀尀倀㌀䐀㔀 䄀搀搀漀渀猀尀䄀攀爀漀猀漀昀琀 䜀攀渀攀瘀愀 倀爀漀昀攀猀猀椀漀渀愀氀 嘀㔀ഀ਀吀䤀吀䰀䔀㴀䄀攀爀漀猀漀昀琀 䜀攀渀攀瘀愀 倀爀漀昀攀猀猀椀漀渀愀氀 嘀㔀ഀ਀䄀䌀吀䤀嘀䔀㴀琀爀甀攀ഀ਀刀䔀儀唀䤀刀䔀䐀㴀昀愀氀猀攀ഀ਀嬀倀愀挀欀愀最攀⸀㄀崀ഀ਀倀䄀吀䠀㴀䌀㨀尀倀㌀䐀㔀 䄀搀搀漀渀猀尀䴀攀最愀 䄀椀爀瀀漀爀琀 伀猀氀漀 ㈀⸀  ⴀ 倀㌀䐀瘀㔀ഀ਀吀䤀吀䰀䔀㴀䴀攀最愀 䄀椀爀瀀漀爀琀 伀猀氀漀 ㈀⸀  ⴀ 倀㌀䐀瘀㔀ഀ਀䄀䌀吀䤀嘀䔀㴀琀爀甀攀ഀ਀刀䔀儀唀䤀刀䔀䐀㴀昀愀氀猀攀ഀ਀嬀倀愀挀欀愀最攀⸀㈀崀ഀ਀倀䄀吀䠀㴀䌀㨀尀倀爀漀最爀愀洀 䘀椀氀攀猀 ⠀砀㠀㘀⤀尀㄀㈀戀倀椀氀漀琀尀匀伀䐀䔀尀倀㌀䐀瘀㔀ഀ਀吀䤀吀䰀䔀㴀匀伀䐀䔀ഀ਀䄀䌀吀䤀嘀䔀㴀琀爀甀攀ഀ਀刀䔀儀唀䤀刀䔀䐀㴀昀愀氀猀攀ഀ਀嬀倀愀挀欀愀最攀⸀㌀崀ഀ਀倀䄀吀䠀㴀䌀㨀尀倀㌀䐀㔀 䄀搀搀漀渀猀尀匀椀洀ⴀ眀椀渀最猀 䰀漀渀搀漀渀 䠀攀愀琀栀爀漀眀 倀爀漀昀攀猀猀椀漀渀愀氀 嘀㔀ഀ਀吀䤀吀䰀䔀㴀匀椀洀ⴀ眀椀渀最猀 䰀漀渀搀漀渀 䠀......................

It seems this is some kind of virus activity as the translations have no bearing on an installation.  Addon.cfg has been Wuhan'ed

Any suggestions on how I get this to rebuild?

Thanks for your help

Edited by ErichB

I had this Erich. 
All you need to do is delete the Chinese parts and save. It seems this is a Orbx bug, but once I deleted the Chinese parts it was fine , if you install another Orbx product it can happen and did happen to me a few times, once  all there products were installed it was OK, but if any other products make this happen then just delete the Chinese parts, save then your OK

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 hours ago, ErichB said:

Hmmm...most of my ProgramData addon.cfg is all in Chinese script. 

This looks like a character encoding error. Some installer didn't know what it was doing and/or assumed an incorrect encoding of the file. You are lucky that this didn't corrupt the entire file (it usually does). You can try to open it in Notepad++ (= the "Notepad plusplus" app, not the Windows notepad) and set the character encoding to UTF-16 (UCS-2 LE BOM), see if that restores the contents (probably not). Only do this with a copy of the original. And make sure that the file remains in this character encoding, or the error will happen again.

The \ProgramData\...\add-ons.cfg file cannot be rebuilt. Just like with any other .cfg file, if you delete the entire file, the sim can only rebuild the default (which is empty in this case). You would have to reinstall/re-reference all addons that have been in this file. (the exception to that rule is the add-ons.cfg in AppData - because it is populated automatically by the autodiscovery feature of P3D every time you start the sim).

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

16 hours ago, Nyxx said:

It seems this is a Orbx bug,

Seems like a rather significant bug.  

Thanks both for your advice.

The only entries I have in this file, is what is copied above.   Not sure if the Chinese characters have wiped anything away or just appended themselves to what's already there.

[DiscoveryPath.0]
PATH=C:\Users\ErichB\Orbx Library\p3dv5
TITLE=Orbx Main Library
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.29]
PATH=C:\Users\ErichB\Orbx Library\p3dv5\NA Northern Rockies
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Nyxx said:

All you need to do is delete the Chinese parts and save. It seems this is a Orbx bug, but once I deleted the Chinese parts it was fine , if you install another Orbx product it can happen and did happen to me a few times, once  all there products were installed it was OK, but if any other products make this happen then just delete the Chinese parts, save then your OK

Okay, I removed the addon.cfg, let it rebuild and then added the above entries.    I enabled all of the installations at  P3D startup, closed P3D and restarted.  The enable prompts are now gone.

You learn something every day with this blasted sim

Many thanks

erich

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

Okay, I removed the addon.cfg, let it rebuild and then added the above entries.    I enabled all of the installations at  P3D startup, closed P3D and restarted.  The enable prompts are now gone.

You learn something every day with this blasted sim

Many thanks

erich

Happy to help and share, glad your now sorted.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip