Sign in to follow this  
moespeeds

HS TBM-900 cuts off Pilot2ATC messages - GTN 750 related

Seems that when using the GTN-750 to control my coms in the Hotstart TBM-900, the pilot2ATC messages get cut off. I can work around this by disabling the 750 control of the COM radio, but in VR this is a hassle as I need to lift the HMD to change freqs using the P2atc interface (nearly impossible to do in-aircraft as the G-1000 is useless with the VR mouse). 

Is there a decent workaround or fix for this? XP-11.50 Vulcan

TIA

Hi,

I'm not sure to understand what do you mean with "to control my coms".

Can you please detail a step-by-step process?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Here's a video of the issue:

Seems to only happen when the GTN 750 is controlling the COM radios.

Thank you for taking the time to do the video, this is helpful.

I'm noticing a number of things. First any G1000 is also a GPS and most such G1000 devices (and more generally most aircraft gauges) are usually coded to be their sole god in their sole panel.

In short this means most often their are managing an internal state and are changing the simulator state if the later differs. It is best when they are coded as 'synced' state, that is whenever simulator or gauge changes, the other syncs. This way, there is no single internal state, but shared state which updates whoever is changing the state first.

Having said this, it is most likely possible whatever you're changing on the GTN it is not changing on the G1000. Furthermore so if the G1000 is turned off because then, it is supposed to not allow anything related to its functions to work.

In this case it is possible they're trying to simulate radios not capable of producing any sound in just shutting down the radio volume in X-Plane (there is no COM shut off capability but lowering sound volume to 0). It is an effective trick up until a 3rd party plugin is also trying to adjust the volume because it has a volume knob too.

It would be very easy to monitor what is happening behind the scene with dataref monitor. Just look at any dataref named "volume_ratio" (for example "sim/operation/sound/radio_volume_ratio") and see whether the volume changes to 0 when the sound stops. You sometimes hear a few secs of sound prior it shuts off just because the G1000 code is working in a loop and it is not until the next loop it changes volume IMO.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

This happens whether the aircraft radios are powered or not. I just didn't bother powering up for the video. I'll do some more testing later.

In any case, there is nothing peculiar about the GTN radios:

the device just synchronizes the COM1/NAV1 and COM2/NAV2 frequencies back and forth with X-Plane. If they change in X-Plane, it changes in the device too. If they change in the device, it changes them in X-Plane too. The GTN also synchronizes the COM volume between X-Plane datarefs documented above and the GTN knob. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nevertheless, since it is pilot2ATC which is stopping playing the audio voices, you might want to see with the developer what could be a factor in this. Since this is also the sole aircraft exhibiting such issue, you might want to also contact the aircraft vendor and see whether they have any clue about what could be causing this.