Sign in to follow this  
newtie

.fpl import question

Hi-

I just installed the 530 into my A2A cherokee and all is well.

According to the docs, it looks like the 530 accepts .fpl format for importing purposes.

I arbitrarily picked a .fpl file ending with that extensionfrom SimBrief I created-KHAF > KSTS- (don't remember which vendor at the moment) and installed it into the FPL folder.

The GNS sees it but when importing get a 'failed' message which indicated my guess didn't work!

Anyway, which .fpl downloads from SimBrief will the 530 accept, if any?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,
I have spent a lot of time on this.  If you back up one level to the list of topics in the RXP FSX/P3D GNS forum, which you are in right now, there are two well developed topics listed on the first page of those listed.  Would you please read through those.  I believe it will give you an understanding of what can and does interfere with the import process.  Most import failures if not all are based on rules that Garmin has put in place to filter flight plans during the import process.  It is likely not a SimBrief issue.  You can confirm by creating the same flight plan at another site that also writes an .fpl file for you and trying to import that one.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Frank-

I found your summary, thanks.

It seems to focus on how to use various flight generation sites, none of which I'm using (SimBrief).

It also seems to reference .flt files and I'm using .fpl as noted in the manual. Maybe .flt was used in 2017? Also, I couldn't find anything regarding rules Garmin has for import unless maybe an unrecognized waypoint?

So, I'm back to square one.

I'm using AivlaSoft EFB but it exports to .pln only.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by newtie
edited

3 hours ago, newtie said:

It seems to focus on how to use various flight generation sites, none of which I'm using (SimBrief).

I apologize. Seems more of what I have written about this issue was instead in the GTN Forum. But the import issues, despite the difference in file specs between GNS .fpl files and GTN .gfp files, the Garmin filtering rules are much the same.  Essentially Garmin is protecting themselves from errors you might make in the planning process.

=======================
"The most common issue I have found with import errors and locked waypoints has been that in the Garmin database there is more than one waypoint with the same name, thus the Garmin does not choose for you

.  A good example of this is intersection/waypoint BUNKA on low altitude V221, just west of OOM (Bloomington, Indiana, USA).  There is another fix in the database named BUNKA in the African country of Ivory Coast. I had BUNKA locked in the GTN when I attempted to import a flight plan from St Louis to Bloomington.  

Another cause may be an named intersection that appears to be on an airway, but is not.  This can happen occasionally where two airways cross each other and that fix is in the database on one airway, but not the other."

Just two examples.....  And where these occur in a GTN, they for me at least also happen in a GNS.  It's Garmin database related.

Edited December 3, 2018 by fppilot
===============

I have written more information here about import failures but do not have time to search for them right now.

If your flight plan contains departures or arrivals then that is also a common issue.  CLANG7 arrival after time becomes CLANG8.  So if your flight planning site gives you CLANG8 but your GNS database in the sim Garmin Trainer still has it as CLANG7 then it gets bounced by the import.  The two have to match.  I now do not include departures, arrivals, transitions, or approaches in flight plans that I intend to import.  Just too easy to add them, without the frustration, once in the sim.

I believe where the GTN might "lock" the flight plan, the GNS instead just fail the import.  
  •  
Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi,

You might want to cross-check the information in this recent discussion too:

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)