Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

MSFS available for preorders. Releasing August 18th!

2 hours ago, Agrajag said:

Wow. What a journey. I've been away on X-Plane since XP10 and now am dying to get back in the fold. Just now sitting here waiting for UPS to drop off my Honeycomb yoke. The big issues for me is which version to get. I really only fly a couple planes and will likely buy a Dash-8 the moment it's available as that's what I enjoy most (hoping Majestic is working on it) so the additional planes mean virtually nothing to me. That means it boils down to whether or not I spend DOUBLE the price to get three upgraded airports (as I also only really fly in the US) (KORD, KDEN and KSFO). Of course they're all majors. That works out to $20 a scenery which isn't terrible.

Then of course is the big question. My PC is several years old so I might go through all this only to find I can't run the thing. I don't really want to drop $2k into this right now so we'll have to see. The setup currently runs XP11 pretty decently and I have a FiOS GB connection so maybe I'll be okay. All I know is that it's great to be looking at a return to the fold again.

I would personally go the gamepass route if you aren't sure of your hardware. But if you are running XP at an acceptable fps then I suspect you'll be fine with the new sim.

55 minutes ago, Nate1 said:

I would personally go the gamepass route if you aren't sure of your hardware. But if you are running XP at an acceptable fps then I suspect you'll be fine with the new sim.

Thanks. That's good to know. I'm so far out of this that I hadn't really kept up on what the best purchase options are. Gamepass, especially the $1 option to check, seems good, though now that I'm looking I might be fine on specs:

I7-8700K running at 4GHz, GTX-1070, 32GB RAM. Seems a tad above the "Recommended" level... Crossing fingers and getting the wallet out.

• Like 1

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

Microsoft Flight Simulator to Launch on Steam on August 18; TrackIR and VR Supported

In addition to availability on Windows 10 and Xbox Game Pass for PC (Xbox Game Pass for PC is currently in Beta), MSFS ill also be coming to Steam on August 18. We are thrilled to announce that Steam pre-orders for the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium Deluxe editions of Microsoft Flight Simulator start today! 😄

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hey, I seem to remember a guy whose name rhymes with "nSharks" that argued there was no way Microsoft would put the sim on Steam, in spite of me pointing out that Microsoft had said they were going to be bringing their games to Steam months ago.

Come to think of it, he also said that the game would have a horrible monthly subscription fee, and Asobo would pull a bait and switch and only release the sim on Xbox.  Prophetic, that one.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

Hey, I seem to remember a guy whose name rhymes with "nSharks" that argued there was no way Microsoft would put the sim on Steam, in spite of me pointing out that Microsoft had said they were going to be bringing their games to Steam months ago.

Come to think of it, he also said that the game would have a horrible monthly subscription fee, and Asobo would pull a bait and switch and only release the sim on Xbox.  Prophetic, that one.

He was wrong with almost all of his predictions from hell.

Right now his last hope might be the arcady flight dynamics. But I am confident that this will get addressed as well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

6 minutes ago, tweekz said:

He was wrong with almost all of his predictions from hell.

Right now his last hope might be the arcady flight dynamics. But I am confident that this will get addressed as well.

Oh it'll be an endlessly moving target with people like that, to be sure.  The only way to win that game is not to play.  Has the nice side effect of preserving your sanity.

Even if the flight model is perfect (and it won't be - things like that are tweaked and refined forever), it'd be something else.

• Like 2

Indeed. I put the tin foil hat wearing brigade on my ignore list many months ago and have had a much nicer experience on Avsim as a result.

• Like 1

Expectations are kinda high, but we shouldnt forget that the MSFS is just kind of a platform which serves as a foundation like FSX etc.

So, do not forget this fact and i really think as a basic platform we are getting really good stuff here!

Edited by CallsignDE
  • Like 3

So with availability on Steam this poses 2 questions for me.

1. Is there any advantages or disadvantages by having it on steam?

2. Will I need steam as I do now to run my Xplane 11 with my HP VR?

2 minutes ago, Poppapete said:

1) Advantages: Not having to deal with MS Store with its horrible UWP disaster interface. 

Disadvantages: None, really, unless you want to run MSFS while offline, in which case you'll just have to switch Steam to "Offline Mode". Takes 2 seconds. 

2) If you buy it on Steam, then yes, Steam is required. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Poppapete said:

I imagine that it will have native WMR VR support to begin with, so Steam VR would not be required to get compatibility with the HP WMR headset.

• Like 1

Same question here - I'm ready to preorder but cannot decide whether to buy it on Steam or the Microsoft Store.

Are we going to be able to preload this? So far it seems to download only a basic "shell" of a few megabytes.

I'm tired of seeing MANY other products I have on Steam getting delayed updates, often months later. Thus I decided to go direct with the Microsoft store. Who knows. I may live to regret that later, but only time will tell.

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

I've not been sure either, but in the end I stuck with buying directly from MS. MS control their own store and the update frequency. They don't control the steam store and how steam distributes their updates. Thats my logic anyway. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78