Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

MSFS available for preorders. Releasing August 18th!

Good point. I just don't have any experience with the Microsoft Store, I buy all my games on Steam - but I am also leaning towards the MS Store.

I just thought of something else - is multiplayer going to be cross-platform? i.e. can Steam users play with Windows Store users and vice versa? I'm assuming yes.

4 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

I'm tired of seeing MANY other products I have on Steam getting delayed updates, often months later. Thus I decided to go direct with the Microsoft store. Who knows. I may live to regret that later, but only time will tell.

1 minute ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I've not been sure either, but in the end I stuck with buying directly from MS. MS control their own store and the update frequency. They don't control the steam store and how steam distributes their updates. Thats my logic anyway. 

It appears MSFS will have a launcher where the updates and the actual sim download will come from. As such, I highly doubt Steam users will have "delayed" updates as MS/Asobo will directly control what version you have through their launcher. 

I honestly can't think of one game that gets "delayed updates, months later" on Steam. 

• Like 1

I year ya, but I still felt like buying it from the source rather than a 3rd party. It's probably not going to be a problem. However, coming from p3d, fsx and xp, even though I never got those on steam, I understand that there was some sort of separate logic for addons whether you bought the sim from the retailer or from steam. There was a steam version, and you had to check whether an interesting addon was compatible with your version of the sim. It's probably not gonna be that way with msfs, but I didn't wanna risk it. I can't see how buying it directly from MS is gonna cause any problems for me. 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

2 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I year ya, but I still felt like buying it from the source rather than a 3rd party. It's probably not going to be a problem. However, coming from p3d, fsx and xp, even though I never got those on steam, I understand that there was some sort of separate logic for addons whether you bought the sim from the retailer or from steam. There was a steam version, and you had to check whether an interesting addon was compatible with your version of the sim. It's probably not gonna be that way with msfs, but I didn't wanna risk it. I can't see how buying it directly from MS is gonna cause any problems for me. 

Judging by posts here on Avsim, it seems most people are going the Steam route anyway, so addon developers would be dumb to favor one version of another.

Besides, don't forget MS Store downloads are saved to a protected directory which can't be changed (only which drive is used can be changed). Steam on the other hand, lets you install a game to wherever you want and there's no directory protection/lock. If anything, the MS Store version might be the "interesting version" of the sim where addon developers will have to make special install instructions. 

Edited by Mean Aerodynamic Chord

"Games downloaded via Windows 10’s Microsoft Store app have been notoriously buggy for years now, running rampant with authentication errors and aborted downloads that require a full reinstall. It’s bad enough that I’ve sworn off buying Microsoft Store Games after blowing through my data cap trying to get Gears 4 installed. I spent $60 on Forza Horizon 3 only to spend hours suffering through errors." -PCWorld "Xbox Game Pass for PC: 5 reasons it's the best deal in PC gaming" July 3rd.

The big question for me and others is this, is FS2020 going to be installed through the GamePass for PC launcher or is it going through the MS Store ? If it's going through the store I'm going Steam, if it's going through GamePass for PC I'm going there. I'm deciding on the 15th.

Also is GamePass for PC just on a subs model or are they actually selling games as a platform ?

Edited by FPStewy

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

56 minutes ago, Mean Aerodynamic Chord said:

It appears MSFS will have a launcher where the updates and the actual sim download will come from. As such, I highly doubt Steam users will have "delayed" updates as MS/Asobo will directly control what version you have through their launcher. 

I'm actually pretty sure it will work just like Frontier's Elite Dangerous does.  They have their own standalone launcher but Elite is also on Steam, but launching from Steam simply launches the standalone launcher so both versions are essentially identical and update the same way.

Elite has its own in game store too, just like MFS does, and DLC between the Steam and standalone versions work 100% identically.

I really doubt Microsoft would want to segregate the community into two different groups, that wouldn't be wise.

Edited by Mengy
  • Like 3

I pre ordered on Steam, mainly because i have a lot of games and Sims on that platform. But also wanted to avoid the Microsoft store thing, I've read nothing but bad things about that and didn't fancy dealing with it.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Here’s what I think.  It certainly is being developed as a platform which is a good thing but I’m also thinking that Asobo wants for people to have a decent experience out of the box. I myself do airline flying but am not really into study level aircraft.  In my opinion default aircraft should have the main navigation capabilities such as the FMS, LNAV, VNAV, SIDS and STARS.  Which it looks like the built in aircraft do which is a big step up from FSX which was not that good enough to simulate realistic flights.  You sort of could and I did with the default GPS and imported SID and STAR waypoints and manually did the descents with the 3 and 1 rule but a good FMS with VNAV capability was missing.  I definitely prefer automation in the descent to control altitudes and speeds which makes things easier.

From the preview videos I’ve seen VNAV is there and works but it has issues that hopefully can be fixed either before release or there may be a good chance freeware developers could help fix these issues later after release.  Other issues are the flight model which hopefully can be improved upon and also distance to the TOD.  Of course nothing can be perfect just hopefully it can be good enough to fly with as little issues as possible.  Anyway in general it’s looking good and definitely is a major upgrade compared to FSX and I will say with the amount of bugs in now they really could spend a few more months to clear them up so hopefully they still can get some things fixed on the mean time before release.

Edited by ap1
  • Like 3

if you've pre-ordered from MS Store AND downloaded the 20meg file can you cancel your order still?

Edited by hanhamreds

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

9 minutes ago, hanhamreds said:

if you've pre-ordered from MS Store AND downloaded the 20meg file can you cancel your order still?

Almost sure you can a friend just canceled his MS Store to buy from Steam. Make sure your card has not been charged yet though! Won't know for sure till you try.

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

3 hours ago, hanhamreds said:

Si vous avez précommandé sur MS Store ET téléchargé le fichier 20meg, pouvez-vous encore annuler votre commande?

Exactly 

Personally, I canceled 3 days ago and yesterday I ordered on steam, I have more confidence in their structure which I have been using for many years without any problem and with easy-to-do backups.

CM-Gygabyte Z370-CPu Intel I5 8600 K 4.6 GHz-RAM 32Go-W10 1903 - GPU :RTX 2070 super (équivalent à RTX 2080 en moins cher...)8Go -tTriple screen 24' incurve -165 htz- Pédalier Saitek -Hotas warthog- FMC-Effis-MCP OpenCokpit et divers boitiers boutons.

Alright, I did it - Premium Deluxe on Steam preordered 😎

@Alixe those were my thoughts as well - Steam has always been very reliable for me.

5 hours ago, hanhamreds said:

Yes you can. No issues. They won't charge your credit card until the 8th of August. It doesn't matter if you downloaded the couple of megabytes or have tried to install it or not. Simply go to your account, under purchases and just click cancel. You'll receive an email with confirmation. 

🙂

Well with a username of Agrajag, I'm not surprised you like such things.:wink: Arthur Dent had such a large impact on Agrajag's lives, both literally and figuratively! Bravo to you, sir for the username! :cool:🍻

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)