Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

MSFS available for preorders. Releasing August 18th!

20 hours ago, Julian Roschlau said:

Would be interesting to know if the new sim offers Steam Workshop integration. Now that would be a great reason to order on Steam - even if Workshop support could come at a later time.

Good question.

Also, if you buy from Steam which allows you to install anywhere, and move it any time, will the Orbx Central system work ?

I say this because I have 50 airports for P3D and will want my 40% discount when I buy the FS2020 versions (when released), which only works if purchased through Orbx Central.

Edited by GBee777

1 minute ago, GBee777 said:

Cool. Yet sad that many in the world have really bad or expensive internet access and need the discs.

Some people want the disks just to have them. There are also many people who grew up with physical copies, still have collections of original sim boxes and manuals, and think of this as a new collectors item.

• Like 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

Some people want the disks just to have them. There are also many people who grew up with physical copies, still have collections of original sim boxes and manuals, and think of this as a new collectors item.

Which includes me. All Microsoft sims from FS4 to FSX on physical media on my shelf.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

The shift in media (like broadband speed variances) reminds me of the time when a major game publisher (Origin) put out the latest version of Wing Commander (a huge space combat sim of the day) and it shipped on something like 20 floppy disks. This was right before media finally moved to CD-ROM disks. First, the packages were really heavy costing the publisher a fortune to ship the boxes to retailers. Second, a basic oversight in coding nearly sunk the entire effort. It wasn't enough that the game came on so many disk, but it also was heavily compressed and the compression was resolved on each disc. In other words, you put in Disk 1 and it would decompress and then copy over to the hard drive. The catch was that each disk took roughly an hour to decompress on machines of the day. People were livid. You'd put that disk in and inevitably something came up so you'd get distracted and three hours would go by before you'd change to Disk 2. Installs for some people literally took days. This being a DOS game it also meant your PC was 100% tied up during this process. By the time the install was done customers were going into the game thinking, "This had better be the best game I've ever played". It likely was, but that's no way to blow expectations and first impressions. Origin quickly made a simple change by copying all the data to the hard drive on every disk first and THEN decompressing, thus allowing users to walk away just one time. Typical install time dropped down to something like an hour. That drop in time also was directly proportional to a positive drop in expectations.

Copying over 150GB of data on a slow data connection could take a long time, but at least you can do that in the background while using the PC for other things.

• Like 2

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

16 hours ago, n4gix said:

No, because there is no such thing as a "World wide version" and a "UK version. What there is - is confusion...

Honestly I would not risk buying a "key" from a third-party just to save a few dollars. Given that MSFS is not being released on DVD except through Aerosoft, I'm not even confident that any "key" will work in the first place.

I've used cdkeys a number of times and they're legit.  The UK and worldwide version thing is a bit of a mystery though.  Maybe it's a tax thing? 

On 8/10/2020 at 7:59 PM, coopermc said:

I have ordered the Premium De Luxe edition of MSFS from CD keys.

On their site they advertise a World wide version and one for UK which is more expensive than the World wide version.

Does anyone know what the difference is?.

Thanks,

Maybe the World wide version is MSFS & the UK version is FS2020/FS20?

Edited by Wobbie
  • Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

bought my copy via Steam...  I'm sure I'll have it all sorted out to install FS2020 onto my 1TB NVMe.  I currently have an NVMe for the O/S, plus the 1TB NVMe for flight sims, and a third NVMe I've been using for the pagefile.  (sure, it's overkill, but so what). 

Really looking forward to post Aug. 18th!  😀

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

10 hours ago, Agrajag said:

The shift in media (like broadband speed variances) reminds me of the time when a major game publisher (Origin) put out the latest version of Wing Commander (a huge space combat sim of the day) and it shipped on something like 20 floppy disks.

I suppose that if you are flying near Seattle the scenery load logic will take a lazy approach for say loading Egypt..  ASOBO seems keen on optimizations.

Cheers

bs

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

18 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Sure wish I would have SOLD my FSX physical disks when they went for crazy prices when MS announced they were no longer making them. Or did I dream this? I honestly can't remember? I though this happened? I could have retired and been collecting 20% on a beach 🙂 Kind of a line from Diehard, or close to it? I think? Maybe I dreamed that too?

Edited by in2tech

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

There's a "rumor" floating that Premium Deluxe will have an early unlock. As if things are not frenzy enough.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

7 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

There's a "rumor" floating that Premium Deluxe will have an early unlock. As if things are not frenzy enough.

What would be the point? By the time they are delivered it will likely already be past the 18th... 😲

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

16 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

I'm leaning forward with interest.

28 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

Reads with great interest!

United001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

I'm just showing what I saw nothing more.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD