Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Release : size matters

A good news  is that FS20 will be sold in Europe also on disks.

But, curiously, the product is some 20-odd GB when some testers (leakers !) were speaking of a 30-odd GB launcher plus a 80-odd GB sim downloads. I understand that a lot of optimization is being done before release but  5 to 1 ? What do the software professional sof this forum think of that ? 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

There might be a lot of redundant data in our previews that won't make it into the final release? Also, major compression in the release version and no compression at all in previews?

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

4 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

A good news  is that FS20 will be sold in Europe also on disks.

But, curiously, the product is some 20-odd GB when some testers (leakers !) were speaking of a 30-odd GB launcher plus a 80-odd GB sim downloads. I understand that a lot of optimization is being done before release but  5 to 1 ? What do the software professional sof this forum think of that ? 

I would bet you will have to download 20-30GB. The actual size would more than that around 150GB, but the servers store the games compressed, so the download sizes are smaller.

It’s not good for them either, if they had to send a lot of data. Data transfers cost money, even when you are a trillion dollar company.

Edited by ca_metal

1 minute ago, ca_metal said:

I would bet you will have to download 20-30GB. The actual size would more than that around 150GB, but the servers store the games compressed, so the download sizes are smaller.

It’s not good for them either, if they had to send a lot of data. Data transfers cost money, even when you are a trillion dollar company.

You mean they sell the launcher and up to you to grab more. Makes sense.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Microsoft's download servers are also word not allowed, at least where I live. I barely get above 5-10MB/s.

According to Aerosoft's Mathijs Kok, their version will be 10 Double-Layer DVDs and come with a printed manual.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/154700-aerosoft-official-retail-partner-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

15 minutes ago, pmb said:

According to Aerosoft's Mathijs Kok, their version will be 10 Double-Layer DVDs and come with a printed manual.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/154700-aerosoft-official-retail-partner-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks Michael 10 DL DVD are about 85 GB ! 

I also note that he says

They have helped us in getting our add-ons ready for the new simulation platform  

which is, excuse my French, kind of a middle finger to the scaremongers who have been saying for a year on these forums that the new sim wouldn't have addons before years 🤣

PS  not speaking of the genuinely worried devs here but of the P3D mercenaries . 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Dominique

9 minutes ago, BigDee said:

Welcome back good old Windows times:

th?id=OIP.rk_7n2kKMyzgHtvwCq0jmgHaG1%26p

Dee, if it's on those new-fangled floppy-discs-that-aren't-actually-floppy, it's not "old times".

This is proper "old-times", and it isn't bloated like the new sims (your version and MSFS, for example).

FjKyWzQ.jpg

Interestingly, this sold for $80 as per the sticker, which is $199.26 in 2020 dollars ie sims are getting cheaper.

It may have been more expensive, I guess, as it includes the Piper 181 Cherokee Archer (missing from MSFS) and also World War 1 Ace aerial battles. In fact, terms of feature set, it seems like MS are going backwards!

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

They have helped us in getting our add-ons ready for the new simulation platform  

which is, excuse my French, kind of a middle finger to the scaremongers who have been saying for a year on these forums that the new sim wouldn't have addons before years 🤣

PS  not speaking of the genuinely worried devs here but of the P3D mercenaries . 

in fairness, I've read the same but it was usually in regards to the deeper simulation companies like PMDG and FSLabs.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

That dummy sitting on it's chair looks a bit akward I would say.

Mauricio Brentano

Could anyone confirm that target install directory can be on a secondary SSD drive?

48 minutes ago, MauB said:

That dummy sitting on it's chair looks a bit akward I would say.

Well, yeah, but that dummy/person has a frickin' massive screen to fly with, which is probably why SubLogic promise a "spectacular panoramic view" on the back of the box!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

7 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

I really wish the U.S. could get a release. I must get this box for my collection! 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

3 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

I really wish the U.S. could get a release. I must get this box for my collection! 

I think other regions would be interested, too. Take Australia, where I learned a lot of people have data cappings and don't want to waste just 80 GB.

Given official public MSFS fora are not yet working, perhaps you can ask in the Aerosoft forum or write a mail to SimMarket?

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11