Sign in to follow this  
FPStewy

How much HD space are you going to dedicate for it?

If I'm not mistaken, in one video I saw that the streaming scenery data will be and can be "cached" for later instead of re-downloading, if so I have a feeling that the space will become an issue.

So my question is that are you going to dedicate a Drive for MSFS2020 ? and how much.

Other question would be can you install FS20 on an m.2 and have the scenery data on another drive ?  HD/SSD ?

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

23 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

If I'm not mistaken, in one video I saw that the streaming scenery data will be and can be "cached" for later instead of re-downloading, if so I have a feeling that the space will become an issue.

So my question is that are you going to dedicate a Drive for MSFS2020 ? and how much.

Other question would be can you install FS20 on an m.2 and have the scenery data on another drive ?  HD/SSD ?

An important question for those with a crappy connection (like me !).

It has never been clear how the cache really works .  

From the Asobo presentation trailers it seemed that we could load routes or regions at night and fly them the day after but  some leakers spoke of a continous FIFO process which would be useless in my opinion.

In the best case scenario, I would affect a 500 GB SSD to it.

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I've just purchased a dedicated m.2 nvme 500gb for it.

WD BLACK

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

At least 200 GB on the game's primary installation drive (SSD), and at least 200 GB for the rolling scenery cache (standard hard drive), assuming that'll be a configurable option.

10 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

An important question for those with a crappy connection (like me !).

I have a good connection but wife has to tunnel to work daily so I don't want to be hogging the connection, I guess I'll have to wait for a clear answer.

What I would like to do is install the sim on an m.2 but have an 8TB drive for the scenery cache.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I can't remember where I saw or read this, but if I remember well these things were said about caching:

You can create a flight plan and then pre-cache the scenery needed for that plan.

Caching takes place automatically during flight, such that when you visit the same area again it's already on disk, not needing a high speed connection.

You can tell FS2020 the max percentage of total disk space you want to allocate to it.

I don't know if you can choose the disk/folder but I would expect any modern software to allow this.

Edited by RudyB24
  • Like 2

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

I'll erase my P3D dedicated 1 TB SSD and dedicate it all for the new sim 🙂

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

26 minutes ago, Jeff 83 said:

Just bought a Samsung 970 Pro m.2 drive just for MSFS.

Same. 1Tb to be future-proof.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

3 2TB WD m.2s will see if more is needed ill probably order another 2TB m.2 ...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

2 minutes ago, rtodepart said:

3 2TB WD m.2s will see if more is needed ill probably order another 2TB m.2 ...

In what are you putting all those m.2s ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

In what are you putting all those m.2s ?

2 on the MOBO one in a PCI card that has one more slot empty . Mobo is a older Asrock z270m pro4 may not be the greatest but its a solid board no problems at all so far . 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

If you look at the system requirements at the Microsoft store for this new release, it says nothing about how much hard disk space you need to install like free standing games and apps do. Why might that be? Maybe because this is now an app and behaves more like a Steam installed product? I'm not sure only that after my pre-order, I downloaded what was avail. and there were no massively large downloads to my machine, and yet I have an icon on my desktop waiting for August 17. I wonder that purchasing extra hard disk or SSD space will even be needed? Does this new flight sim exist mostly in a cloud and we download only what we need when we play? I don't know, I'm just asking.

Randy J

Edited by united001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

From Aerosoft's Mathijs Kok .. (as you know, they will be marketing the boxed version of Microsoft Flight Simulator)..

Let me explain what the boxed version actually contains. Microsoft Flight SImulator (that's the name, not FS2020) contains four major parts (Note the sizes are estimates from what we know at this moment.)

1. The simulator code itself (the 'sim') that is around 15 MB, this is a mandatory part of the sim.
  2. The world and aircraft delivered by Microsoft, (that content depends on the version (the 'content') that is around 90 GB, this is a mandatory part of the sim.
  3. Optional online streamed content (this is an optional part of the sim)
  4. 3rd party files (clearly fully optional)

Our DVD's contains 'all' of part 2, apart from the updates Microsoft and Asobo do between the moment the the DVD's are pressed and release. When you install, the sim will updates all files immediately form the servers and you will get the very latest code for the simulator itself and all content is updated. This is very much a simulator that depends on the cloud if you want to use it to its full potential. So the boxed version makes it possible for people on a slower internet connection to get the sim installed without downloading the 'content'.  So the simulator is in every way, 100% the same. The boxed retail version just gets you a nice box, printed manual and about 90 Gb you do not have to download. There is no difference between boxed retail and the verison MS sells directly. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...