Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Performance Pursuit....specific settings?

In my constant "pursuit for better performance", I keep trying different settings  and trying to understand some of the settings in P3dV5.  I experiment (as I'm sure you do as well) with different higher and lower levels of the many variables we have in the sim.

I always wonder about TESSELLATION FACTOR, and what it really is....and what it really does.....and how it affects my flying performance.  How do you set this variable?  Does it have a significant effect on performance?  I'm really not sure of this one.  Another setting I found to definitely have an effect on the performance is AUTOGEN AND SCENERY DRAW DISTANCE!  Since my performance usually degrades when I'm flying airliners at FL30 and above and at speeds of at least 310 knots, this variable really has an effect on the sim.  The lower I set this, the better my chances of not going into "stutter hell".  It's not flawless, but it seems to really have an influence on performance for me.  Performance does not degrade for me when flying GA aircraft low and slow.  That tells me the loading of terrain and distance rendering are significant factors in flying performance satisfaction.

Finally, I find the Super Sampling setting (SSAA), although more demanding on performance, is so much better for my system and V5 than Multi Sampling (MSAA). I usually set it at 2.  MSAA will always produce blurries of terrain eventually during the flight. This requires me to go into Graphics and change something so that the blurries go away.  That's only temporary though, because they return. I don't get blurries when using SSAA.

Just thought I'd share some of these findings and sincerely hope they help somebody who may be searching for some ideas. AND I look forward to hearing from all of you regarding some setting tips in V5.

Stan

here's another one you can test.. 

clear sky, EA OFF, you get very high fps.. 

clear sky, EA ON, fps drops by at least 20! 

add some cloud layer, fps remains same whether EA On or Off ! how about that! But when EA off, move the cloud coverage to high (which is ASP3D recommended).. EA affects only VRAM at most times, but for clear sky, it also tanks the fps.. something to do with having to draw more shadows?

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

Two words... 

Dynamic lighting

Go to gayasim Kos at night for example 

14ppkc-6.png

13 hours ago, vin747 said:

here's another one you can test.. 

clear sky, EA OFF, you get very high fps.. 

clear sky, EA ON, fps drops by at least 20! 

add some cloud layer, fps remains same whether EA On or Off ! how about that! But when EA off, move the cloud coverage to high (which is ASP3D recommended).. EA affects only VRAM at most times, but for clear sky, it also tanks the fps.. something to do with having to draw more shadows?

I dont see any differencies regarding FPS with EA ON. Clear sky or cloudy on 4K with  ASP3D

Michael Moe

I74770K@4,5 , GTX1080TI , 16GB DDR32400

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

ya, i dont know why the EA fps thing is so random.. sometimes at night, clear sky + EA tanks the fps compared to EA off... 

I also see a 20 fps difference between PMDG and QW after HF2.. which also hasn't been confirmed by anyone yet.. 

Stan - another way to fix the blurries might be to delete the sceneryIndexes folder in ProgramData.. it seemed to have resolved the blurries in openLC that i was seeing.. have only made one flight after that and it went well.. will try a few more and then i can confirm..

EDIT: just tested clear skies, EA On, OFF: about the same FPS.. maybe my theory was incorrect.. i only observed that in one or two airports.. mght have been some other variable.. 

Edited by vin747
update

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

I believe I really got V5 to work extremely well today.  Here's what I did between yesterday and today:

• I uninstalled V5 completely.  
  • I re-installed it from square #1 on my M2 SSD, not drive C.  Installing ONLY Client, Content, and Scenery didn't work out for me.
  • I moved my ORBX Library from a large drive (not SSD) where I had a lot of room to my C drive (a traditional SSD drive).
  • I couldn't get my Orbx sceneries to show as installed in Central, so I REINSTALLED every one (197GB) of them.
  • I upgraded my internet speed from my cable company from 100x10 Mbps to 1Gigx40 Mbps.  WOW!!!
  • The internet upgrade really helped me with my ORBX re-installs...PLUS it should be good for the upcoming MSFS 2020 sim.
  • I stopped Malawarebytes from starting with my PC and running in the background.  I think this contributed to pauses during a flight because of its frequent scanning.

I flew several times today after all this, and my flights were smooth, stutter free, and enjoyable.  I will cross my fingers on this...and hope it all continues.  

Just thought I'd share this with all of you.

Stan

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spilok said:

• I stopped Malawarebytes from starting with my PC and running in the background.  I think this contributed to pauses during a flight because of its frequent scanning.

That was probably 3/4th's of the problem.

I have Malwarebytes on a work machine and, it is useful for troubleshooting and rooting out malware, but, I would not want it running all the time.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 7/13/2020 at 11:14 PM, Michael Moe said:

I dont see any differencies regarding FPS with EA ON. Clear sky or cloudy on 4K with  ASP3D

Michael Moe

I74770K@4,5 , GTX1080TI , 16GB DDR32400

I have virtually the same PC specs as Michael and don't have significant FPS drops at 4k on a 43" LCD TV at 30 Hz.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

For me with EA on: by turning of cloud shadows, massive FPS increase!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rob0203 said:

For me with EA on: by turning of cloud shadows, massive FPS increase!

Could you provide a METAR and Airport to test?. Very interesting as cloud shadows looks better anyway in 4.5

How much gain do you  see?

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Thanks to the OP for pointing out the mystery of the Tesselation Factor setting - to this day I still don't understand how it works or what impact it has. I understand what it is described to be doing - which is supposedly offloading more of the terrain rendering to the GPU - but I have yet to find any scenario where I can detect any actual difference in performance. I would suspect that with a capable GPU you should see a difference in moving that from the CPU to the GPU, but I haven't seen it.

I believe you are supposed to need it set to Ultra if you also run water at Ultra - but frankly, I usually max out water at High as the Ultra waves are often way too much under certain weather conditions, especially in a float plane.

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

On 7/22/2020 at 2:05 PM, Michael Moe said:

Could you provide a METAR and Airport to test?. Very interesting as cloud shadows looks better anyway in 4.5

How much gain do you  see?

Thanks Michael Moe 

I am on holiday, you should just try it! 

1 hour ago, rob0203 said:

I am on holiday, you should just try it! 

I did , thanks and yes its better all though i did not do a blind test.

Michael Moe

Btw.

Looking forward to a Alaska Airlines FslA321 livery,  to do a virgin ASA160 flight KJFK-KSEA

• Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png