Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

This is a neew one on me..

I was talking with my brother on the phone this morning when a message showed up on the screen that I had an urgent call from St Louis.  I ignored it and a few minutes later I got a message on the screen that I had an important notification.

I hung up on my brother and read the notification.  It said I had been charged with a crime and to call this number before the case went to Federal Court or I got arrested.

So, if you don't see me on these pages I'll be rotting away somewhere in solitary.  Hey!  That's what I'm doing now!  I hope they let me take my PC and flight simulator with me.

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Did you fly through the Gateway Arch again?

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I think you should nicely offer that Federal Court your Social Security #, plus all your bank account, and credit card numbers.  Maybe they won't arrest you after all😆    

• Like 1

Just wait till your "grandson" calls you from a Jamaican Jail saying he needs $5000 real quick to post bail! 

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

8 hours ago, birdguy said:

I hung up on my brother and read the notification.  It said I had been charged with a crime and to call this number before the case went to Federal Court or I got arrested.

Unfortunately these scams are becoming more and more common around the world. It gets even better when they tell you that buying a bunch of iTunes gift cards from your local grocery store will somehow fix the problem.

On the other hand, some people have found ways to fight back... 😈

Edited by cmpbellsjc
Removed link to video for language
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, goates said:

Unfortunately these scams are becoming more and more common around the world. It gets even better when they tell you that buying a bunch of iTunes gift cards from your local grocery store will somehow fix the problem.

On the other hand, some people have found ways to fight back... 😈

Yeah its hilarious when they say you can pay the IRS or some other agencies with iTunes gift cards or some other type of gift card.

BTW, I had to remove the YouTube link due to the language in it. It was a brilliant idea that guy had though to get back at the scammer.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

46 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Yeah its hilarious when they say you can pay the IRS or some other agencies with iTunes gift cards or some other type of gift card.

BTW, I had to remove the YouTube link due to the language in it. It was a brilliant idea that guy had though to get back at the scammer.

Apologies for the language.

I got a call from one of those after market auto warrantee companies.  I told the guy I was interested and wanted more information like what was covered, how much it would cost, how many plans were available.  I kept him on the phone for several minutes and finally he asked what kind of a car I had.  I told him it was 1951 Studebaker.  He hung up on me.

Noel

• Like 4

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

I told him it was 1951 Studebaker.  He hung up on me.

Noel

😂😂😂

I’d like to have seen the look on his face when you said that.

These days I get so many spam phone calls each day that I don’t even answer the phone unless I know who’s calling. If it’s legit and I didn’t answer they’ll usually leave a messge. 99% of the time there is no voice mail.

I used to let the guys who were making calls to try to sell something ramble on for a while before I’d say “not interested” or I’d simply put the phone down and let them talk until they finally hung up. Then I thought it was kind of mean since they were probably legit sales telemarketing and figured I’d just tell them right off the bat that I wasn’t interested before they wasted a lot of time for nothing.

Scammers though, when I used to answer they’re calls, I’d go along with them and get them frustrated. One said that they alerted law enforcement and already had a warrant out for me. I told her I was a cop and hadn’t gotten any warrants for my arrest and she hung up😂 I used to give them made up account numbers and even offered extra money to keep my record clean. One guy told me he was with the IRS and I had a tax bill due. I said, no kidding I’m also with the IRS and asked him what dept and section he was in so he could email me the info. He cursed me out and hung up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, charliearon said:

Just wait till your "grandson" calls you from a Jamaican Jail saying he needs $5000 real quick to post bail! 

Noel - 1951 Studebaker - GENIUS, sir! GENIUS! :biggrin:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Over the last few months I've received 'threat emails' from a would be 'blackmailer' who, in the course of his/her rambling email claimed to have secretly activated my computer's camera and recorded me doing something embarrassing...

...and threatened to send the video to everyone on my email client's list.

I ignored these emails since I don't have a camera on any of my computers!

Heck, I'm such a techno-luddite that I don't even have a "smart phone!" 😂

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

27 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Heck, I'm such a techno-luddite that I don't even have a "smart phone!

I'm considering getting rid of my iPhone and getting the simplest flip phone I can find.

Noel

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, birdguy said:

I'm considering getting rid of my iPhone and getting the simplest flip phone I can find.

Noel

I still have a flip phone.  It gets the job done for me.

It's kind of funny to me -- here I build my own PC's for FS with the latest hardware, and yet I'm still rolling around with a flip phone.  Bill I don't think we qualify as Luddites, since we're into flight sim, but we just like simple things sometimes...

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Mine isn't even a flip-phone!  I must be a caveman! :blink:

s-l640.jpg

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: