Sign in to follow this  
Huascar

Still Cheaper than PMDG planes

Already pre-ordered the premium delux edition of MSFS 2020. If the simulator lives to expectations, worth every dime. Just think for a second, a PMDG plane costs you $135 dollars, and that’s all you get...a plane. You pay $119 For MSFS and you get the world. If the planes are just as good, no need waste money with this third party software. I can afford the PMDGs, but out of principle I refuse to pay the cost. MSFS is revolutionary and everything about flight simulation will be different. Some may not survive it. Good luck to all those who sold me useless and destructive add-ons.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Huascar said:

If the planes are just as good....

Ah, but they won't be, will they?   They'll be better than the FSX default but don't expect too much from them.

To quote Aerosoft's Mathijs Kok from a post linked to on another thread, "we will make the Airbusses, our friends at PMDG will make the Boeings..."   They're expecting to make oodles of cash out of this, and I don't think they're wrong.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Yes, there will be new 3rd party addons, and i am happy about it.

The FS20 aircraft will not be on AS or PMDG level for sure. Nice for the beginning though!

• Like 2

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

The default aircraft look good, to be sure, and I hope they are better than defaults we have been used to (especially that TBM 😋). However I think it highly unlikely they are as good as the big aircraft developers.

As always, your mileage may very.

• Like 1

David Porrett

I did not pay $135 for the 737 NGXu and will get a discount for the MSFS version, MILVIZ 350i cost more for P3Dv4.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Of course the default aircraft will not be current PMDG (or other top line developer of your choice) detail on systems, but in terms of sounds and visuals and flight dynamics they are likely to exceed simply because the engine allows so much more.

The MFS default airliners all have an FMS that supports SIDs, STARs and ARINC format AIRAC updates all coupled to the autopilot and nav display, so they are far and above what we've had in any other sim out the box and I think they will prove most useable until third party developers have played catch up (and they have a lot to catch with as they'll need to retexture (materials style), adapt system/instrument code for the new SDK and redo the flight dynamics for the new aero simulation).

All that considered I don't think the price is too bad, as the OP said you're getting these airliners in addition to the engine and the GA birds, all for less than the price of a single PMDG aircraft.

I note Asobo haven't included any regional airliners (Saab 340, ATR, Q400, E190 etc) so I think that's where my first addon purchases will be.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

For myself as a casual simmer, the lighter weight (but still heavier weight than FSX/P3D) default aircraft are perfect because as much as I'd love to I just can't find the time to learn the more details third party addons.  "The slower day is coming.....", I wish.

Simon

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Personally I won’t be satisfied with the default aircraft.  Did they raise the bar?  Yes. But I don’t see myself enjoying planes that are almost as good as what I’ve become used to. I’ll pay for those. At some point more free stuff is good. But it’s also like an all you can eat ice cream restaurant.  I don’t want to eat more just because it’s free 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I am sorry but comparing a flight simulator and a high level addon doesn't make any sense to me. I won't even try to argue. 

What I know from experience is that if you want something good you have to pay for it.  Life. I've never been a big fan of default aircraft. I sincerely hope that Asobo will make me change my mind and some good people on this forum let me think that I won't be disappointed. But I still look forward to high level aircraft addons and am ready to pay for them. 

Something that we have seen over and over since June, 2019 , is people rejoicing in the death of the FS addon industry. They are wrong because it won't die and they are wrong because the guys at PMDG, A2A, Milviz and so on and so forth have made this hobby great in the last twenty years. Some got rich in the process ? Good for them. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

i've always had a problem with the crowd that seemingly wishes for the death of the payware addon market.  I get that its human nature to be cheap.  But I love having the choice to pay for quality addons.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

@micstatic@Dominique_K I don't think most users wish the death of payware addon developers, but many (including myself) are annoyed at some of their pricing practices and their weak justification - particularly the trope that because P3D was a professional non-entertainment product they'd need to double their prices, and that you couldn't upgrade from the existing product you already owned on a similar platform.

PMDG started all that and most customers grumbled but paid so many other developers jumped on the bandwagon; the end result being aircraft prices almost tripling (from $55 for the FSX 747-X to $140 for the P3Dv4 QotSII, of which <$10 is inflation) - I get the newer products often have more features but not three times more!

On a related note but not a slight on the developers, I think many users are fed up (again myself included) of having to pay for addons just to get basic functionality that should've been included within the P3D base sim; I am thankful to weather engines, REX4 and ORBX Global for giving my FSX+P3D a life extension but those products shouldn't have needed to exist.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 5

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

@ckyliuI tend to agree with you.  But also far too many on this site were able to get free updates from V4 to V5 for their payware.  Some of these updates clearly required significant developer time.  So I'm pretty thankful for that. 

Quality and payware don’t belong together in the same sentence. Forums are full of topics from people who are trying to repair their broken sims. While PMDG products are above average, they are overpriced. How much labor went into MSFS 2020? They’re charging a fraction of what PMDG charges. 

Edited by Huascar

I truly hope Asobo will allow mods of the default aircraft.  One guy improved the default xplane aircraft to the point it was at least in the same conversation with PMDG.  If a few developers could expand on the default, especially as far a long as these aircraft are, we would be up to our ears in amazing “study-level” planes. 

I am also 90% sure aircraft will be apart of the future DLC thar asobo does. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Huascar said:

Quality and payware don’t belong together in the same sentence. Forums are full of topics from people who are trying to repair their broken sims. While PMDG products are above average, they are overpriced. How much labor went into MSFS 2020? They’re charging a fraction of what PMDG charges. 

I agree and disagree with you at the same time.  No quality and payware don't belong in the same sentence.  I've bought many that I later regret.  But what is overpriced to one is not to another.  PMDG/FSLabs/MaddogX/FlyTampa/Flightbeam are worth every penny to me.