Sign in to follow this  
rksoftware

VFR Explorer in FS's Alpha builds

Hi, 

If you are an FS Alpha tester and want to access and view all the superb 3D rendered cities in FS, get VFR Explorer.

It lets you find and explore the cities in a very easy way in the FS's World Map.

It also give access to more than 155 000 cities all around the world with just a few mouse clicks.

4DQ1z4E.png

VFR Explorer  is a free app during the Alpha and Beta period 

Edited by charliearon
Link to "payware" site removed!

I removed the link to your site because it is considered free advertising which is not allowed under the TOS.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Too bad this is not available to buyers and potential buyers.

4 hours ago, rksoftware said:

VFR Explorer  is a free app during the Alpha and Beta period 

I visited the site from the link on the Alpha forum.  The app is free during alpha and beta.

Chrome really didn't like the file, and I had to click "keep anyway" twice.  I had my AV scan it and it was clean.

Not much documentation, may or may not be useful.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Is it legit? When I Google it, the only hits that come up are this thread. Who is RKSoftware?

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

They also make open cockpit stuff.

Hook

Larry Hookins

2 hours ago, LHookins said:

They also make open cockpit stuff.

Hook

There's a Google hit for them under flysim4fun.com. This is what I get when I click it:

Dangerous page blocked for your protection

Dangerous pages attempt to install software that can harm the device, gather personal information or operate without your consent.

---------------------------------

I note you said that Chrome objected to your file as well.

Hmmm...developer I have never heard of, and who has no online presence or reviews, gives away a "free" program that triggers antivirus alerts (as does their webpage).

I think you would be mad to install this. Suggest you consider it to be malware until the dev can convince us otherwise.

Edited by charliearon
removed link

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

Suggest you consider it to be malware until the dev can convince us otherwise.

Agreed.  I'm tempted to submit it to ESET for evaluation.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Submitted.  Let's see what they say.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

15 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

There's a Google hit for them under flysim4fun.com. This is what I get when I click it:

Dangerous page blocked for your protection

Dangerous pages attempt to install software that can harm the device, gather personal information or operate without your consent.

---------------------------------

I note you said that Chrome objected to your file as well.

Hmmm...developer I have never heard of, and who has no online presence or reviews, gives away a "free" program that triggers antivirus alerts (as does their webpage).

I think you would be mad to install this. Suggest you consider it to be malware until the dev can convince us otherwise.

Just curious to know where you get this google warning?

flightsim4fun.com is safe and is checked every day with https://www.sitelock.com/. The site has been up and running for more than 8 years without any issues.

The VFR Explorer app is tested with various virus checkers and is free of any malware

Edited by rksoftware

If the app is pulling data from the internet, especially certain types of files or programme updates, it will trigger the heuristic detection in most antivirus software. Doesn't mean it is malware, just means some of the program's behaviour is suspicious and they'd like to investigate.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

10 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

If the app is pulling data from the internet, especially certain types of files or programme updates, it will trigger the heuristic detection in most antivirus software. Doesn't mean it is malware, just means some of the program's behaviour is suspicious and they'd like to investigate.

Thanks for this info.

This could be reason, yes, the app checks the correct date from the Internet. Everything else in the app is internal data. 

And again it is fully safe to try it out. If you know the functionality of the FS's World Map, you will appreciate this app.

Edited by rksoftware

36 minutes ago, rksoftware said:

The VFR Explorer app is tested with various virus checkers and is free of any malware

Thank you, Sir.  I agree that both the site and the app look legit. 

I'm unsure of why OzWhitey's browser gave a warning, or Chrome didn't want me to open the file.  He probably got the warning when he clicked on your site.  I get no such warning from that.

Still waiting to hear back from ESET, but I doubt they'll find a problem.

Hook

Larry Hookins

6 hours ago, rksoftware said:

Just curious to know where you get this google warning?

flightsim4fun.com is safe and is checked every day with https://www.sitelock.com/. The site has been up and running for more than 8 years without any issues.

The warning is a print out direct from Bitdefender.

I tried multiple times with more than one link. Same warning every time. And hook reported flags with the file itself.

I did a bit of research. If you are the RK software guy, why are you posting from an alt account with no post history at all?

If you are RK, how do we know that it is safe? I can’t find any evidence that it is being used, just posts marketing it - and older posts for a similar product targetted at PMDG users (again freeware), but no evidence that simmers are actually using the program.

I don’t mean to be unreasonable here - i do suspect that you are the RK guy, and i found your youtube vids so i also believe you’re a real person. It’s just that this is all rather odd, and i’d still consider this to be too high-risk to install on my computer, pending further information.

Oz