Sign in to follow this  
omarsmak30

For Europe based simmers, boxed or download version?

Hey captains, 

Aerosoft is the official reseller for the MS Simulator boxed version which looks pretty good and could help on unstable internet connection, I am looking to pre order that, although my internet connection is on paper 100mb but in reality is unstable, one day full speed and one day like half of its speed or worse with disconnection, what your guys thought on the boxed version from Aerosoft? 

Here is the boxed version link: https://www.aerosoft.com/de/flugsimulation/flug-atc-simulatoren/3043/microsoft-flight-simulator-premium-deluxe

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

I love stacking my shelves with books, videos and games so I'll probably go with the boxed version.

If I still were a collector, maybe... If they offered it on 2 Blu-Rays instead of 8 DVDs... maybe.  I have a 100mb line, but in my room I have to use DLAN, so it is pretty much reduced to 35 to 50 most of the time. Still think I can handle 85 GB download, I already downloaded games of 150 GB from MS Store (tbh rather horrible compared to Steam), so that´s fine.  

In general, who knows how big the first updates will be? For a simulator that relies that heavily on internet and bandwith as MFS will do in my opinion, the initial install probably is the least of my concerns. My guess even is that maybe in one or two years, you cannot re-use those DVD discs anyway, as most of the data might already have become obsolete and after installing the discs, you would maybe need to download updates of the same size anyway. 

I used to love the box versions of Flight Simulator with the 8000 page manual, but I already preordered the download version so I will probably pass the boxed one.

Looks nice though

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

My guess is the boxed version could be of some help on first install, but most probably it'll be outdated before you know it because there will be a frequent stream of online updates.

If for what ever reason you need to reinstall, by that time you might be better off installing the latest online version instead of going via the in the mean time terribly outdated 'old' disks.

If you like to have them as a 'collectors item' that's a good reason to buy of course.

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

Definitely digital because that way I will have it Day 1 🙂

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

35 minutes ago, flycln said:

My PC hasn’t had a DVD drive in like 5 years. So uhh, easy choice?

Mine does not have one built in either, so I bought an inexpensive USB DVD drive.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm in Europe and I'll have the box.

Why wouldn't I?

Mind you - remembering Telephone Activation all those years ago has me thinking twice about it.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 1

Well honestly the boxed version makes since to me if the code included would also allows to download the full sim online as well besides the DVD install. In that case, I don't see any harm of getting the boxed version as I see it is win win situation

Edited by omarsmak30

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

I live in Canada and it seems like I can order the boxed version from Aerosoft albeit insane shipping cost. Will the code work for downloads outside of the EU?

I'll upgrade my computer for this program and in the course of this I'll remove all optical devices because I haven't used them once since I got my current computer in 2013. Then I'll remove the cage that holds the optical devices and add some more case fans or mount the water cooling radiator in the front of the computer case.

Edited by Wanderkroete

If/when I buy, it will be the boxed version. In case I will need to reinstall the sim or the whole OS, it will be quicker to install it from the DVDs than to redownload the whole program again (and my internet has a limited amount of GB per month). 

Also, it won't require me to sign up or log into accounts to start the program (hopefully).