Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

Wondering about generic airport quality

4 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

I don't think everyone will ditch their simulator day one. A lot of the 3rd party plane I bought over the years won't be available to me for an extended period of time. As much as MFS 2020 will be an amazing evolution, we will need to wait for all the payware plane to be ported over.

The fact that 3rd party developers have been heavily involved with MFS2020 I would imagine a lot of the planes will be ported over sooner than later.

Going back to the generic airports...every airport is based on Bing satellite imagery. What you see in the satellite images is what you will see in the sim albeit the buildings will be generic.The potential for smaller 3rd party developers to upgrade small to mid sized airports is huge because you already have photo realistic ground textures so updating the buildings isn't a massive task.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

Much better, believe me. 👌

"Mileage can vary "

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

12 minutes ago, YVRDXBLHR said:

The fact that 3rd party developers have been heavily involved with MFS2020 I would imagine a lot of the planes will be ported over sooner than later.

Going back to the generic airports...every airport is based on Bing satellite imagery. What you see in the satellite images is what you will see in the sim albeit the buildings will be generic.The potential for smaller 3rd party developers to upgrade small to mid sized airports is huge because you already have photo realistic ground textures so updating the buildings isn't a massive task.

that is good news. If a 3rd party only needs to slope the runway properly, place realistic buildings and modify taxiways etc. we could see a lot of smaller airports becoming available.
Even better would it be if MSFS adopts the X-plane method of letting the community do their bit in updating the airports. I wouldn't mind spending an evening or two upgrading an airport. Off course there needs to be a method of deciding which contributions to implement or reject, and the tools must be easy to use in order to invite people to "do their bit".

• Like 4

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

Much better, believe me. 👌

Bill, are they representative of the real airports. Building placement, building style, right count? Say Gary, or Lansing, or South Bend?  I understand that the objects must come from object libraries or such.  But for FSX I absolutely had to go to 3rd party object libraries to find buildings, towers, and hangars of a representative style or look.

The reason I ponder this is because we have not been shown any of these, especially not shown and called out by name or identifier.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

8 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Bill, are they representative of the real airports. Building placement, building style, right count? Say Gary, or Lansing, or South Bend?  I understand that the objects must come from object libraries or such.  But for FSX I absolutely had to go to 3rd party object libraries to find buildings, towers, and hangars of a representative style or look.

The reason I ponder this is because we have not been shown any of these, especially not shown and called out by name or identifier.

As testers we were provided a list of random airports from around the world that needed to be tested for building placement, taxiways, etc..The few airports I tested were tiny airfields including grass strips in the middle of nowhere and even grass strips that had fuel stations or a single building were rendered in the sim. The building textures will be generic but any random airport in the world that has a building should be rendered in the sim. That;'s how impressive this sim is.

• Like 3

The video “Feature Discovery Series 6: Airports” gives the pretty clear answer!

I don’t believe Alice Springs in Australia is considered one of the 40 “high detail” airports. However, you can see in the video just how much detail there is at this “default” airport.

Start the video from 2:40 

• Like 5

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

2 things I love about some of the default airports in XP11 are the pavement markings (realistic) and the blue lantern taxi lighting. Anyone know if these 2 things are done really well on the basic default airports fs2020? 

Oh, and I also love the fact that many of the runways are not perfectly flat and follow the counter of the surrounding landscape, does fs2020 do this as well?

3 minutes ago, hangar said:

2 things I love about some of the default airports in XP11 are the pavement markings (realistic) and the blue lantern taxi lighting. Anyone know if these 2 things are done really well on the basic default airports fs2020? 

Oh, and I also love the fact that many of the runways are not perfectly flat and follow the counter of the surrounding landscape, does fs2020 do this as well?

I'm not too sure about that first question, but I do know that MSFS has confirmed sloped runways.

48 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Bill, are they representative of the real airports. Building placement, building style, right count? Say Gary, or Lansing, or South Bend?

When I saw KGYY in Alpha 1, I just about cried, it was so awful! 

When I saw KGYY in Alpha 5, I jumped up and did a "Happy Dance".

Both Lansing and Griffith looked remarkably good. I never visited South Bend nor Indy.

• Like 5

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

17 minutes ago, leonardus said:

I'm not too sure about that first question, but I do know that MSFS has confirmed sloped runways.

Not just 'sloped' but 'undulating' as well!

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

I haven't checked every airport obviously, but all of the non-handcrafted airports I have seen are quite stunning.

Fake news!!!

Well, at least some people seem to think so......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, hangar said:

Yes. And on your last point yes and MFS does it better. You'll see

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, YVRDXBLHR said:

If Asobo's AI works well to sharpen and correct airport photos, then that would be a huge advance as you mention.  A designer may be able to focus more energy on the airport buildings.  Problem is a lot of the sat imagery is nice but doesn't look quite so good close up.  I think the AI is solving that issue but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

KGYY is the closet airport to where I live, so I'm really interested to see how it looks.  I'm glad it was improved in Alpha 5.   I think I'm probably going to be doing a lot of flying to the generic airports.