Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Are any of the members of ASOBO from the original FSX team?

I'm curious to know if any of the members from ASOBO Studio are from the Aces team that developed the original Microsoft Flight Simulator? Is is this a completely new team building this from the ground up?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

As far as i have read some went to LM P3D and others started there own studio, and MS dropped FS because the studio was getting to big for just one product according to reports since, and remember CEO`s move on and new ones have different priorities.

And Phil Spencer is leading MS Gaming studio which MSFS was brought back to be part of.

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

So the Asobo team is completely new people that have nothing to do with the original Microsoft Flight Simulator then?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Correct.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

33 minutes ago, captain420 said:

So the Asobo team is completely new people that have nothing to do with the original Microsoft Flight Simulator then?

Actually they didn't have anything to do with flight simulators until Microsoft approached them to take that project. If you take a look at their portfolio they have worked on a wide range of game genres before.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Interesting, is there any particular reason MS chose Asobo for the job and not the original Aces team?

Sometimes a fresh perspective is exactly what is needed to break free from ideas that may have been considered sacred cows in the past.

• Like 9

Chris

25 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Interesting, is there any particular reason MS chose Asobo for the job and not the original Aces team?

It was in part because of some prototypes they built that used Bing data to build a world on the fly. Some of the early interviews talked about it.

Edited by goates
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, captain420 said:

i think it may be due to the work they did on an open world game on the game consoles, gaming is what they worked on before MS approached them, and i think they are still an independent studio MS has not brought them out as far as we know.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

Original ACES team was dissolved like 10+ years ago.. doubt they could even resurrect the original team, even if they could, most of them would probably never consider "trusting" Microsoft again after that fiasco!

• Like 1

Isn’t the P3D team made of Aces Studios veterans ? 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

36 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Isn’t the P3D team made of Aces Studios veterans ? 

9 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

As far as i have read some went to LM P3D and others started there own studio

ASOBO might be new to simming, but due to their relationship with MS, they can surround them with the expertise they need to deliver a good product.

• Upvote 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

New technology, new team, new aera.... Aces was owned by Ms, Asobo is a french independant studio, one of the leading creative studios about digital games... Aces was a the top 15 years ago... and now a new generation of developers is at the top.... time change, that’s is life, isn’t it ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tweekz said:

ASOBO might be new to simming, but due to their relationship with MS, they can surround them with the expertise they need to deliver a good product.

This is a crucial point. Asobo was smart enough to position themselves at the center, the hub, of different expertises, blackshark.ai, Azure, Meteoblue, Navblue etc that only a powerful MS could gather.  Real expertises not half-ars’d forum experts. If LM doesn’t understand that, their franchise is bound to wither. You think of the enormous intellectual assets of Lockheed Martin, you see V5, you cry. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

You think of the enormous intellectual assets of Lockheed Martin, you see V5, you cry.

P3Dv5 was pushed out of the nest too soon, an act likely forced on them by business circumstances <cough>MSFS<cough>.  Let's hope MSFS doesn't suffer the same fate with an earlier-than-expected release.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;